Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-05-2019, 08:12 AM   #1

Default ROTELLA 15W 40 Oil

Costco has the Rotella 15W 40 on sale for $10 a gallon. It comes in a three gallon package-$29.99.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:53 AM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: ROTELLA 15W 40 Oil

Keeps the truckers happy too. Big diesels need a lot of oil.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #3
Jim Brierley

That is for diesel engines, not recommended by oil companies for gasoline engines.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
johnbuckley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
That is for diesel engines, not recommended by oil companies for gasoline engines.
Why not use it in gasoline engines, Jim? I suspect oil companies of a simple marketing ploy - but happy to be proved wrong(!)

Last edited by johnbuckley; 10-05-2019 at 11:32 AM.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:30 AM   #5
jrelliott

That is what I use in my A. Been running it for about 12 years.
jrelliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:59 AM   #6
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:

Rotella diesel oil should never be used in modern cars with catalytic converters and exhaust sensors as zinc/etc damages those components. From what I have read, Diesel oil is OK for our older cars, and the zinc may be beneficial.

My reading also indicates that modern low Zinc oils are OK to use in older cars since they are formulated with different ingredients as a replacement for Zinc.

My opinion, hope this does not start teh great oil/zinc debates again.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Jim, Iam only using it because my engine rebuilder at Schwalms told me to use it.
Old 10-05-2019, 01:17 PM   #8
Beater

I use synthetic 15-40 have forever
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:06 PM   #9
Railcarmover
BANNED

Superior shear,load and detergent factor. You can get a low ash spec if you want to run it in a modern car,later diesels use a DPF,subject to the same problems as modern cars using earlier versions of diesel grade engine oil.

Shear factor resists wiping effect of piston rings and cam lifter contact.

Load factor is the ability of the oil to handle pressure of rod and main bearings and cam bores.

High detergent factor means debris stay suspended in the oil instead of depositing on the parts,resulting in a cleaner engine and no sludge.
Railcarmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #10
Werner

Hallo!
"Rotella" oils are some of the few engine oils Shell manufactures specifically for diesel fuels. Unlike the same 15W/40 shell oil for gasoline engines, Rotella blends contain an increased proportion of high pressure additives, other cleaning additives, and less corrosion inhibitor / TBN neutralizer.

It's no problem to use Rotella in old-fashioned petrol engines. But there are no benefits. On the contrary. This results in more combustion residues and the lower corrosion protection / antixidants require shorter replacement intervals.

Ford Model A, Roadster, 1928
Citroen 11 CV, 1947
Hercules W 2000, 1976; (with NSU-Wankel Rotary Engine), Canadian version
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:20 PM   #11
Purdy Swoft

I've used Rotella 15w40 in some of my model A's with no problem . I figure the 15 is a bit thin . I use Walmart 20W50 I figure that the 50 will better cushion the bearings on an eighty eight year old engine . I also use it in the professional rebuilt engine in another of my model A's .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:29 PM   #12
CarlG

I use Rotella 15w40 in my engine. In Alaska's colder climate I don't think the 15 is too thin as it would be in a much warmer Alabama.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:27 PM   #13
Jim/GA

Shell labelled the Rotella T oils as suitable for both diesel and gasoline engines for many years, using the API star system. The EPA made them stop marketing the oil to gasoline engines because the phosphorus in the ZDDP additive poisons the catalytic converters used on those cars. (It was either that or significantly reduce the ZDDP levels, which older diesel engines really need -- so they changed the marketing materials.)

Shell did not actually change the oil, they removed the API S_ star for spark ignition (SI) engines on higher-ZDDP oils. So if your Model A has a catalytic converter on it, you should NOT use the Rotella T oil in it or the EPA will be upset with you. Otherwise I consider the Rotella T4 (conventional oil) or T6 (fully synthetic) 15W40 to be the perfect Model A oil for year-round use. Shell can't "recommend" it because the EPA has told them not to.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:43 PM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

If you feel you need ZDDP,

"Shell Rotella T which is a conventional (mineral-based) oil that was originally formulated for diesel engines. Rotella T still contains 1,200 parts per million ZDDP, according to Shell – which is as much as five times the amount found in other oils. Don’t sweat it that Rotella was/is “for diesels.” It’s also an excellent choice for older, non-emissions controlled engines with flat tappet cams that need their ZDDP. Rotella’s also modestly priced and readily available at most any auto parts store. Shell also markets a synthetic version of Rotella that offers even more protection – as well as longevity and a 5W-40 viscosity for those who operate their vehicles in colder climates. Standard Rotella comes in a heavier 15W-40 blend."
Old 10-06-2019, 08:53 AM   #15
Purdy Swoft

[QUOTE=CarlG;1806707]I use Rotella 15w40 in my engine. In Alaska's colder climate I don't think the 15 is too thin as it would be in a much warmer Alabama.[/QUOTE

]I agree .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 10:42 AM   #16
30 Closed Cab PU

From my reading and understanding and my opinion

Zinc was not originally (late 20s/early 30s) an additive in oil. Zinc was added when higher compression motors were developed that revved /ran at much higher RPMs, which required much stiffer valve springs to prevent valve float. The Zinc was added as an anti-wear agent.

I do use T4 Rotella diesel oil. It is relatively inexpensive, available almost everywhere, has some zinc. Even though my opinion is Zinc is not needed, what the heck should not hurt anything. Lots of A people use Rotella, and have not seen/heard complaints. It may not be the "best" oil, but is a decent oil, and I change frequently, at 500 miles. I am a big believer on stock Model A motors without an oil filter, frequently changing oil is more important than what type of oil is used. If running an oil filter and extending oil change intervals, the type of oil used may have some effect.

I have read that overuse of Zinc Additives causes changes in metal that causes it to become brittle like. So more Zinc than recommended is not better. So if adding you need to know how much is in the oil you are using, and add only an appropriate amount.

As far as the amount of Zinc in Rotella, I am confused, but it does have some. I am unsure, but lean towards Mike's info in post 14. I've seen info online and in forums that support that the amount has been reduced, and other info that contradicts saying it has the required amounts.

I've also seen discussion about detergent vs. non detergent oil The detergent is not like a soap/thinner, it only acts to keep contaminants suspended in the oil until it can be drained. It does not break up existing sludge into globs. On the other hand the non-detergent oil some contamination stays suspended, and some settles. I suspect that in the day part of occasional maintenance was to drop the oil pan and open the valve access cover and clean out the sludge. Something the average owner who did his own oil changes most likely did not do.

So which is better on stock motors/no oil filter? Detergent oil which keeps all contamination suspended in the oil and going through the moving parts (EX - Babbitts) of the motor but keeps surfaces free of sludge, or non- detergent oil which may keep some contamination out of the oil but requires periodic dropping of the oil pan and opening the valve access cover for cleaning?

Choices seem to be running an oil filter, or frequent oil changes.

Since I am lazy, I prefer detergent oil with frequent oil changes since I do not run an oil filter. I also prefer detergent oil since it is multi weight which aids in reducing wear on the motor until the motor is warmed up.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #17
Jim Brierley

Use what you want, I'm just saying diesel oils aren't the best for our A's. The additives aren't the same as recommended for gas engines. Zinc wasn't used in the 30's, our engines have steel cams, hardened, lifters and low spring pressure, not cast iron cams and high spring pressure, so zinc isn't nearly as important. There is still zinc in gas oils, just not as much as in the 60's and 70's. I've seen engines running non-detergent oil that are so clogged up with sludge that the oil pump starves for oil and so much sludge in the overhead area that it takes several minutes for it to reach the sump, so detergent is needed. I repeat, use whatever you want.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #18

I did notice one thing, when I do an oil change, this 15w 40 is very dark, compared to my modern car oil changes, for whatever that means.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #19
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I did notice one thing, when I do an oil change, this 15w 40 is very dark, compared to my modern car oil changes, for whatever that means.
Have also noticed my 500 mile oil change is black, have not seen others mention it. So thought it was normal.

Have you tried other oils in your A, and if yes how does the color of the Rotella drain oil compare to the other types?
Old 10-06-2019, 11:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Have also noticed my 500 mile oil change is black, have not seen others mention it. So thought it was normal.

Have you tried other oils in your A, and if yes how does the color of the Rotella drain oil compare to the other types?
No, I have been using the 15W 40 because my rebuilder told me to only use it. I also have a filter. I did drop the oil pan recently to change the pan gasket, and did notice absolutely no sludge, and everything was clean, but, Iam still curious of the quick color change. Maybe Jim has a point.