Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #1
HoarseWhisperer

Default Front Springs & Spring Clips

After purchasing a front spring in the US, I found that the dimples for the spring clips were in the sixth leaf from the end, instead of the fifth leaf as original.
This made it impossible for the original spring clips to fit over the six leaves.
I returned the spring and ended up purchasing another in Canada a year later. Same issue. After researching suppliers, I found that Bratton’s is aware of this problem and makes three different size spring clips to address the issue.
Anyone else have this problem with front springs and why are they not being made to spec?

1928 CCPU 82-A
1931 Roadster 40-B Dlx (Canadian)
HoarseWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Front Springs & Spring Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoarseWhisperer View Post
After purchasing a front spring in the US, I found that the dimples for the spring clips were in the sixth leaf from the end, instead of the fifth leaf as original.
This made it impossible for the original spring clips to fit over the six leaves.
I returned the spring and ended up purchasing another in Canada a year later. Same issue. After researching suppliers, I found that Bratton’s is aware of this problem and makes three different size spring clips to address the issue.
Anyone else have this problem with front springs and why are they not being made to spec?
I don't know why they are not being made right but it is very easy to drill dimples where you want them with a carbide tip masonary drill. These can be had at any hardware store.
If the old dimple is in a conspicuous place, fill it with bondo, sand it off and paint it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

You can also use a MIG welder to fill in the wrong dimple. When I made my utility trailer I cut the last 6" off some leaf springs I had laying around and welded it to the top of the end of the cut leaf. I should have cut 12" off and lapped it to the top of the cut leaf, as the springs arent as stiff as I'd like. I also used my MIG to weld the top leaf on the front spring of my Model A. It was cracked in two right through the center hole. After welding it I jumped on it to test the weld and had no problem.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
HoarseWhisperer

Thanks for the advise guys. I should have also mentioned that the leaves are thicker; enough so that I could not torque the U-Bolt castle nuts enough to get the the cotter pins in. Ended up using steel locknuts.
Individual leaves are not the same length as the originals either.

1928 CCPU 82-A
Old 05-21-2010, 10:42 PM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Now thius is a case of where did you buy them and have you let the vendor know?
Old 05-22-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
HoarseWhisperer

Exclamation Re: Front Springs & Spring Clips

Yes, as mentioned I returned the first spriing, so believe me, the vendor knew. I then re-arched my original, but of course that didn't last long.
The second one I made work as I was really desperate for a spring. But I made the vendor aware, as I did our club members and now anyone who reads this thread.
I'm reluctant to name specific vendors as I think many are at the mercy of limited suppliers and manufacturers. As long as they take responsibilty for the product they sell and at least attempt to rectify with the supply chain. I'm certain many of us are frustrated with shoddy re-production parts that are manufactured from worn used parts as templates, instead of original drawings and blueprints.
This is a great venue for venting our frustration and creating awareness, eh?

1928 CCPU 82-A
Old 05-23-2010, 07:38 AM   #7
Neil Wilson

FYI - The "U-Bolts" are called the spring clips (in Ford parts books). The part mounted on spring leaf five are named the spring clamps.
Neil Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote