Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #21
johnzmu

Default Re: Need holley 94 help

I can rule out firing order because it revs up an runs beautiful with choke almost closed. if I remember right when I had the vacuum gauge on it, it read 16. Timing is set to the notch on crank pulley with vacuum line disconnected

What are some common spots for vacuum leaks on flatheads?
johnzmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
1937pickup

Based on what I have read on this site here are some things to consider. If has backfired through the carb the power valve is toast. People who know these carbs are death on the Viton seat for the needle going to the float. They also say that the new accelerator pumps are wrong. There may be other things but these are the ones that stand out. Someone mentioned Charlie in New York, I have not used him but he has an excellent reputation. One guy who was banned from the site who does great work is Ken Isadore, I think he hangs out on the AV8 site or HAMB. I would recommend sending your carb to either of them to get it done right. You had the time to buy a rebuilt from EBay, use the time to have it done right.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-04-2014, 07:09 PM   #23
Tom Mazz/CT

John,

I had a very similar problem. My engine seemed to idle fine but would not accelerate, stumble, popping etc. I was thinking it was not getting enough fuel but it was actually getting too much air as is in a vacuum leak. I found the aluminum carb body warped / out of flat to the steel carb base. Before this experience I had thought that a vacuum leak would cause a rough idle.

As you have had two carbs run the same, I would look at the carb to intake mounting surface and gasket.

Tom
Tom Mazz/CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 PM   #24
donald1950

e-bay may not necessarly to buy a rebuilt carb. contact one of the rebuilders here on fordbarn. i know you have already paid alot of money for what you have recieved, but the guys on here are experts and gurentee their work.....
donald1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 01:24 AM   #25
jimvette59

Just a thought, did you check if the pump discharge valve is lose and operating ?
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote