Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 PM   #21
Napa Skip

Default Re: Moving to Kansas

It sounds like a good career opportunity and I think you will enjoy Kansas. My younger brother does, to the extent that we can seldom convince him to leave, even for a short period of time. Then again, he enjoys restoring older Chevy trucks.

He and I were both born and raised in the south (San Fernando Valley in California) but whereas I (after living, courtesy of Uncle Sam, in the wilds of Idaho and nether regions of Charleston, South Carolina) have chosen to remain in California, he – following a number of years in the Air Force – has chosen to reside in Augusta, Kansas (just outside of Wichita). Perhaps it’s the regularity of the streets and roads, which appear to have been laid out with a straight edge and right triangle; perhaps it’s the fact that (as he once remarked during a phone call while he was sheltered in the basement of the Boeing plant during a tornado) it is well known that California will fall off into the Pacific Ocean during the next significant seismic event. Whatever the reason, he remains in Kansas and has no complaints.

Speaking of complaints, it should not go unremarked – for those FordBarners who enjoy bashing California – that, as Reggie Jackson once said, “Fans don’t boo nobodies.” People enter and leave California at will, but the last I checked, more than 1 of every 8 people in the US live in California. If people vote with their feet, then it sounds like California gets a lot of votes. Put another way, if you emptied all the states and started filling them with people again (west to east), you’d get to somewhere around Kansas (not including Texas, thank goodness) before you equaled the number of people in California.

Back on thread – enjoy Kansas. I haven’t visited the state since traveling east on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe and the salient memory of that trip (in the very early 1960’s) was they closed the bar when we entered Kansas. But it was certainly scenic and I suspect you'll find the people are very cordial and the life-style very enjoyable. Good luck.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.

Last edited by Napa Skip; 07-05-2013 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Typo
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #22
slackcat

Default Re: Moving to Kansas

Welcome to Kansas.
slackcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)