Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-16-2020, 03:58 PM   #1
cas3

Unhappy chickasha canceled

on the website today, not happening
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #2
Zeke3

Default Re: chickasha canceled

I see the Charlotte Auto Fair has been postponed until June 12-14 now also.
Zeke3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:13 PM   #3
cas3

something to think about certainly, but i believe its all a media promoted hype. we are not all gonna die as many are promoting. just my thoughts
Old 03-17-2020, 03:37 AM   #4
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
something to think about certainly, but i believe its all a media promoted hype. we are not all gonna die as many are promoting. just my thoughts
I agree that the media are hyping it and no we not all going to die. However in Italy the death rate is 7% . Most of these deaths are occurring in people of our age so the rate in our cohort is much higher . I am a medical practitioner with 35 years of experience I have been through SARS MERS Birdflu Swine Flu and 35 influenza seasons - My country only has 12 cases and we have instituted some pretty tough containment measures however I suspect I will probably be dealing with COVID -19 cases within the month. I have reviewed all the scientific (not media) literature worldwide carefully, given my life will depend on it - and I can tell you I am scared but will still continue to see and do my best for my patients . I would respectively suggest that for the sake of ourselves and our loved ones we should all take this illness seriously.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:55 AM   #5
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

OK but my wife says she going to kill me everyday. She means it. That what I half to put up with her every day. I still love her anyway. Will be glad when summer gets here. Streets are dead here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 60BC817F-7C51-4D3B-AA3C-FF338944805A_1_105_c.jpeg (38.7 KB, 26 views)
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:04 AM   #6
flatheadmurre

The thing is to keep the pace it spreads down now initially...or the healthcare can´t handle it.
If it starts spreading exponentially...hospitals will be out of resources fast and then there wil be triage...not fun for the doctor having to descide who gets the care...and even worse for the people left out with no care...
Over here young people still ignore it barhopping and fooling around thinking they are imortal...then they go home to their old folks...i wonder what they will feel when their actions affect their loved ones in a bad way...
I hope and pray we will never see the real bad scenario of this.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #7
oldandtired

I am glad that they postponed Charlotte instead of simply cancelling it and keeping the money. It remains to be seen if they will have it in June, either. I hope so. It's always good to see old friends who I would not get to see during the year were it not for the few swap meets I still go to.
Things in the small town where I live are pretty much shut down. One of the few restaurants is closed. Two other restaurants feature buffets, and that isn't going to fly right now. There is no such thing as businesses that deliver with the exception of the auto parts store if you have an account with them. No school, no school sports, the sports for little kids are shutting down for now. They don't want you travelling, and the town sure doesn't want people from affected areas bringing the virus with them to town. The irony is that being out in one of the vehicles is one of the times when you are pretty much insulated from exposure to others. My wife, who is otherwise grounded by her grumpy husband, and I can get in the car, load the dog, and drive around town and look at the azaleas and camellias blooming, drive out to the lake and admire the dogwoods blooming in the woods alongside the road, get out and walk alongside the lake without being exposed to anyone at all except each other.
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:14 AM   #8
Frank Miller

I'm going about my business best I can. They just shut down all construction in Boston. The arguments over this is worse than an oil debate. I may sound crass but I believe this thing needs to run its course like every other virus. The decisions being made are ruining the livlihood of a lot of people and they may never recover from it.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:50 PM   #9
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
I'm going about my business best I can. They just shut down all construction in Boston. The arguments over this is worse than an oil debate. I may sound crass but I believe this thing needs to run its course like every other virus. The decisions being made are ruining the livlihood of a lot of people and they may never recover from it.
The problem is Frank that letting it run its course is going to overwhelm every countries health services and a lot of people are going to die needlessly . The measures taken may just spread the time line and allow the medical system to cope.
The American Hospital Association have predicted 96 million US cases. At a death rate of even 2% that's almost 2 million deaths!! Bear in mind the death rate its pushing 7% in Spain and 4% most other places. Also almost all these deaths will be in our age group.

Yes the decisions made are tough . Yes people are suffering and will suffer more . Yes people will loose their livelyhood . However you livelyhood is no good without your life. You are much more likely to recover from lost livelyhood than recover from death. Who reading this wants to be one of the 2 million (or more) ? Please look after yourself and your loved ones

Ryan may ban me for this post - . However this is not an oil debate it is a life and death matter - if one person reads this and saves themselves and others I will gladly accept any punishment-Much as I love Fordbarn and talking to you guys.

In any case this will be my last post for a while - Unfortunately I'm going to be pretty busy for the foreseeable future trying to deal with people with this thing-I really hope to be able to get back to you all at some point in the future!!

Karl
Old 03-18-2020, 10:13 AM   #10
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
The problem is Frank that letting it run its course is going to overwhelm every countries health services and a lot of people are going to die needlessly . The measures taken may just spread the time line and allow the medical system to cope.
The American Hospital Association have predicted 96 million US cases. At a death rate of even 2% that's almost 2 million deaths!! Bear in mind the death rate its pushing 7% in Spain and 4% most other places. Also almost all these deaths will be in our age group.

Yes the decisions made are tough . Yes people are suffering and will suffer more . Yes people will loose their livelyhood . However you livelyhood is no good without your life. You are much more likely to recover from lost livelyhood than recover from death. Who reading this wants to be one of the 2 million (or more) ? Please look after yourself and your loved ones

Ryan may ban me for this post - . However this is not an oil debate it is a life and death matter - if one person reads this and saves themselves and others I will gladly accept any punishment-Much as I love Fordbarn and talking to you guys.

In any case this will be my last post for a while - Unfortunately I'm going to be pretty busy for the foreseeable future trying to deal with people with this thing-I really hope to be able to get back to you all at some point in the future!!

Karl
Karl, thank you for your straight forward postings. While this issue is starting to spin away from approved Barn discussions it is VERY important IMO. Hopefully Ryan won't ban you for posting FACTS not hysteria and we can all get back to Barn issues.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:56 AM   #11
tubman

Karl,

I also thank you. Additional thanks as well to all of the medical professionals who have put themselves on the front lines for the rest of our benefit.

I suppose this puts our condenser testing on hold.

Denny
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
Mart

Being anti social is the way forward for at least the foreseeable future.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 02:38 PM   #13
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
Damn. I've been that way for years - who knew it would become the new normal.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #14
cas3

like me ! i been telling folks i am pretty much self quarantined in the shop anyway.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:13 PM   #15
nelsb01

At least the drive thru windows and liquor stores are still open. And, has anyone checked the price of gas? Plenty low in price, with no place to go.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 05:46 PM   #16
Fordestes

Fuel was down to $1.20 today ,right after I filled up for $1.70. Just my luck.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 06:19 PM   #17
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordestes View Post
Fuel was down to $1.20 today ,right after I filled up for $1.70. Just my luck.
And I was excited about 2.99 for regular and 3.29 for diesel. Got to love CA taxes.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
I have a head start!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote