Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-18-2019, 12:55 PM   #1
ironandsteele

Default Help needed to identify spare tire cover (1932 ?)

Hi guys,

I was going through my pile of "extra" stuff, looking to liquidate some things I will never use. I came across this spare tire cover that I've had sitting around. I always assumed it was likely a 1935 and never really looked at it close until I pulled it out recently, along with a few others.

What caught my eye when looking it over was the fact that the opening seemed much larger than 35, and even 33/34. I measured that opening and it is about 16", which is larger than the openings in my 33/34 cover, and my '35 cover.

There are two small holes in both ends of the tread cover, I'm assuming for a piece of trim. Like 1933 (I think)

With that size opening, my assumption was that it would be a '32 cover, so I started asking around and doing a little research. I found some references to there being four styles of covers available. One of which had trim on the face plate, as well as trim on the tread cover. Is this what I have here?

I did some searching on this site, which is where I found most of my info. I read as much as I could and *think* that my conclusion is correct based off of the information I found, but I would appreciate some input from you guys, one way or another.

I would have assumed this were a '33 cover, if not for the larger opening.

What do you think?

Please see the photos. Thank you.

Also, thank you to "Deuce Lover" here on this site for your emails and guidance up to this point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32spare1.jpg (22.4 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare2.jpg (89.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare3.jpg (69.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare4.jpg (64.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare5.jpg (92.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare6.jpg (58.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 32spare7.jpg (30.8 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by estrangedcc; 12-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
ironandsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
ironandsteele

Default Re: Help needed to identify spare tire cover

Here is an example of what I found while searching. This is, apparently, one of the styles offered for 1932. Note the trim on the face, and on the tread cover. Is this what I have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32spareexample2.jpg (34.3 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-18-2019, 05:03 PM   #3
DavidG

Default Re: Help needed to identify spare tire cover (1932 ?)

Sorry, but the tire cover in your first group of photos is not one the three steel spare tire covers that Ford released in the '32 model year. None of the three had a finger loop on the outer p band (a characteristic of Ford released '33-'36 outer bands). Also none of the three had a stamped-in raised area surrounding the opening in the face plate (a characteristic of Ford-released -'33-'35 face plates).
The tire cover on the phaeton in the last photo is also not one of the three Ford-released '32 tire covers, although the band may be depending on the width of the stainless steel trim on its circumference. The face plate with its centered stainless steel trim is characteristic of the Ford-released '33-'36 face plates with different trim widths depending on the model year.

The photos below are of the three '32 steel tire covers. The band in the third photo is missing the circumferential stainless trim that accompanied the face plate shown. All three versions are rare and the last two extremely rare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Book photos 297.jpg (52.2 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 300.jpg (58.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Book photos 298.jpg (65.6 KB, 45 views)
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:26 PM   #4
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I do have a steel chrome plated tire cover. When I found it I check to see if it was magnetic. Here a picture of it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01203.jpg (57.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01202.jpg (59.7 KB, 38 views)
Old Redneck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2019, 03:21 PM   #5
ironandsteele

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Sorry, but the tire cover in your first group of photos is not one the three steel spare tire covers that Ford released in the '32 model year. None of the three had a finger loop on the outer p band (a characteristic of Ford released '33-'36 outer bands). Also none of the three had a stamped-in raised area surrounding the opening in the face plate (a characteristic of Ford-released -'33-'35 face plates).
The tire cover on the phaeton in the last photo is also not one of the three Ford-released '32 tire covers, although the band may be depending on the width of the stainless steel trim on its circumference. The face plate with its centered stainless steel trim is characteristic of the Ford-released '33-'36 face plates with different trim widths depending on the model year.

The photos below are of the three '32 steel tire covers. The band in the third photo is missing the circumferential stainless trim that accompanied the face plate shown. All three versions are rare and the last two extremely rare.

David, thank you for the information. Given the provisions for trim on the tread cover itself, would you conclude that it is 1933? It's my understanding that '33 had a piece of trim on the tread cover. Thanks again.
Old 12-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
DavidG

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
superceded

Last edited by DavidG; 12-19-2019 at 04:40 PM. Reason: superceded
Old 12-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
DavidG

Yes, it likely is a '33 band as the width of the raised area for the placement of the stainless molding and the distance from the finger pull to the two holes for the stainless trim attachment look the same as two '33 bands that I have.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:02 PM   #8
BoxCar Tom

Here's some pictures of tire covers I had a few years ago. The face plates fit nice against 18" wheels. The tread covers were a different story, the shiny one I believe is a Leo Gephart SS Reproduction from the 60s / 70s It was flat across the tread. The black tread cover was too narrow for a 525/550 18" tire. I gave up and sold them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4363.jpg (65.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4362.jpg (67.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4354.jpg (60.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4353.jpg (52.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4350.jpg (35.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4342.jpg (63.7 KB, 17 views)
BoxCar Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #9
DavidG

The fit of the outer band is pretty much dependent on the brand of the 5.25/5.50 tires and when and where they were made. Years ago Coker produced its own brand of 5.25 x 18 tire and while the tread pattern was nothing like Ford used back in 1932, they were true 5.25 tires and the spare tire cover and band fit easily (see my avatar photo). With a bit of a struggle, the band and face plate fit on New Zealand-made Firestone 5.50 x 18 tires. Those Firestone tires had the advantage of having completely-true-to 1932 sidewall and tread designs. The Firestone tires made from those New Zealand molds, but in the U.S. after Coker bought the molds, can also accept an original face plate and band (again with lots of effort). Once Coker wrecked the New Zealand molds, the U.S.-made Firestone 5.50 x 18 they subsequently offered (and still do) with a circa 1935 tread pattern is too wide for an original band used in conjunction with an original face plate.