Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2011, 12:11 PM   #1
theodore

Smile Installing a steering stabilizer

I just purchased a SO CAL steering stabilizer for my 1934 Ford roadster that has a death wobble at low speeds. The directions to install the stabilizer refers to the lower radius rod or lower four bar link which according to the installation pictures, my car does not have. My car has a thick radius bar but no lower rods or four- bar linkthat I know of.
Can any one advise me as to how I should install the stabilizer. Should it be installed from the steering tie rod to the car's frame? The pictures from SO CAL are so blurry that I cannot make them out.This stuff is all new to me so I am asking for help, which will be much appreciated. TIA
theodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
36tbird

Default Re: Installing a steering stabilizer

recommend you go over to the HAMB and do a search for steering stabilizer or dampener. Looks like a lot of guys suggest putting on VW stabilizers, as they work well and are cheaper.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
jimvette59

I had a problem with my 34 3 window. I installed a steering stabilizer and still had the same wobble. I rebuilt the front calipers and it went away. The stabilizer was useful in making my steering more firm. I had a reversed Corvair box.
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
G.M.

I have installed quite a few on 32 to 48 Fords. They are from the tie rod from the right wheel that runs across toward the left side next to the axle. I made little angle brackets that bolt on the front axle with 2 square U bolts and 2 small round U bolts on the tie rod. Put a chalk mark on the center of the tie rod with the wheels straight. Turn the wheels all the way to the right and mark the axle where the mark on the rod is. Turn the wheels all the way to the left and mark the axle where the mark on the rod is. Measure the distance between the marks on the axle, this is the stroke the shock will travel so you need one with a little longer stroke so it don't limit the turn radius. Move the shock to the center of it's stroke and mount it to the axle and rod in this position with the wheels straight. I have them on all my drivers and have nice firm steering with no movement and will run straight down the road without touching the steering wheel. G.M.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:27 AM   #5
B0B

Thanks GM ... I just got a steering stabilizer from mac's it came with no instructions even tho the receipt in the box says with instr. on it so with your post here I got it installed ok B0B
B0B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
34fordy

Does a stabilizer just mask some other problem in the steering/suspension systems?
I realize that some off road and possibly other vehicles come with stabilizers when new. However, I believe there are a lot of early Fords that do fine when the standard factory components are not worn significantly or out of adjustment.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
Does a stabilizer just mask some other problem in the steering/suspension systems?
I realize that some off road and possibly other vehicles come with stabilizers when new. However, I believe there are a lot of early Fords that do fine when the standard factory components are not worn significantly or out of adjustment.
The answer is probably yes and no! Remember a LOT of later model cars/trucks came with stabilizer (shock) setups to help dampen front wheel shimmy. They were both installed as OEM equipment and as optional equipment.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:50 PM   #8
supereal

Before you add a stabilizer, check the toe-in, and look for worn king bolts, tie rod ends, drag link, and excessive play in the steering box. Stabilizers are common on vehicles with high unsprung weight such as 4 wheel drive pickups, but should not be necessary on a light car such as the '34 coupe. If you have shimmy, or other steering problems, they need to be fixed first. Normally, the caster and camber are fixed in old Fords, unless something is bent or broken in a collision. In Model A days, shimmy was common when there was a bent wheel or an out of round tire(s) and the levershocks didn't work.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #9
willowbilly3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34fordy View Post
According to some purists, yes. I had everything new on my rod and aligned to a T, it still shook. Also, no new vehicles with a solid axle come WITHOUT a steering stabilizer, look under any jeep or new pickup.
willowbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

My 34 came all of sudden with a wheel shimmy I looked around for a likely cause ,I found the rubber ball on the wish bone was worn .There was slightly a loose wheel bearing that set up the osolation' ./giro affect .plus a small bit of play in the box ,I only fixed two of the things ,I tightend the wheel bearing and got a section of radiater hose and jammed it under the rubber ball, all is well now. If you run big and little's then your caster will be out if the nose is dragging on the ground ,So I am with guys who say fix the problem first .Ford made millions with this set up it worked well .Ted

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
34fordy

I realize just because you read something on the internet, it is not necessarily true--I just went on Texas Tires site on stabilizer truth--Among the things mentioned in brief:
If you have your suspension/steering dialed in correctly, you could drive around all day without any stabilizer at all and likely would not notice a difference on smooth flat terrain--
It is important to realize that a steering damper does NOT and WILL NOT FIX
any steering problem. It will only dampen the symptoms--
It is important that steps be taken to diagnose and fix the actual source of any steering problem that you might be experiencing as opposed to masking or hiding it with a steering stabilizer--

Now this info comes from someone selling stabilizers

Respectfully, Don
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:28 PM   #12
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatheadTed View Post
My 34 came all of sudden with a wheel shimmy I looked around for a likely cause ,I found the rubber ball on the wish bone was worn .There was slightly a loose wheel bearing that set up the osolation' ./giro affect .plus a small bit of play in the box ,I only fixed two of the things ,I tightend the wheel bearing and got a section of radiater hose and jammed it under the rubber ball, all is well now. If you run big and little's then your caster will be out if the nose is dragging on the ground ,So I am with guys who say fix the problem first .Ford made millions with this set up it worked well .Ted
FlatHead Ted has a good point, It would seem to me to try to fix or restore the steering to its intended configuration, rather than add something that was never there. These cars did not have a steering stabilizer, right?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
scott39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
FlatHead Ted has a good point, It would seem to me to try to fix or restore the steering to its intended configuration, rather than add something that was never there. These cars did not have a steering stabilizer, right?
I agree 100% BUT i have 38 dodge cab on a 40 ford frame. Got the frame as a roller. It came with a 32 model A superbell 4 in drop axle, drum brakes all around, split wish bones and got a 68 ford mustang steering box. With pitman arm pointed up for the correct steering. Since ive had the truck which is 9 yrs always had wobble. Ive had bunches of people say they know these frames i should check this or that or everything else. Checked all them yet Nothing still got it. Any ideas im about to add stabilizer just so i can enjoy the truck. Thanks

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
scott39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:48 AM   #14
deuce lover

You have a messed up configuration.You will have better answers on the HAMB.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #15
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodore View Post
I just purchased a SO CAL steering stabilizer for my 1934 Ford roadster that has a death wobble at low speeds. The directions to install the stabilizer refers to the lower radius rod or lower four bar link which according to the installation pictures, my car does not have. My car has a thick radius bar but no lower rods or four- bar linkthat I know of.
Can any one advise me as to how I should install the stabilizer. Should it be installed from the steering tie rod to the car's frame? The pictures from SO CAL are so blurry that I cannot make them out.This stuff is all new to me so I am asking for help, which will be much appreciated. TIA
To answer your question, yes you will most likely have to fabricate a bracket to attach it to the frame. (or wishbone )
You obviously did not pay attention to the product information as it was meant to fit hairpin or four bar configurations. NOT STOCK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg so cal zz.jpg (113.9 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by 51 MERC-CT; 06-13-2019 at 07:55 AM.
51 MERC-CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #16
chap52

Remember it's just a band-aid. I had one on my 52 F1 and loved it. Of course trueness of rims, tire balance and tightness of ALL steering components are the main factor.Here is a link with a photo of one installed. Chap

https://tbucketeer.com/threads/mount...-damper.14122/
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:57 AM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

What is the caster angle? That can cause stability issues and can be out of range with split wishbones.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:52 AM   #18
Tony, NY

You need to mount from split wishbone to the tie rod. As said, you may need to make a small mounting bracket. Scroll down to post 25 in this HAMB thread: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...ont-end.36138/
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:02 AM   #19
ct1932ford

Use this and see post # 25. That is mine. I make my own bracket for the wishbone.
https://redirect.viglink.com/?format...t-end.36138%2F
Old 06-13-2019, 12:21 PM   #20
grumppyoldman

Set your toe in to 1/16" that solved my shimmy. Al
grumppyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote