Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-16-2019, 02:55 PM   #1
1951 Victoria

Default '50 Ford Overdrive

I'd like to replace the 3 speed trans in a '50 Ford sedan with either an original type 3 speed OD or a 5 speed. Is there anyone in CT or surrounding area that you guys would recommend? Thanks, Pete
1951 Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:43 PM   #2
Greg58

Default Re: '50 Ford Overdrive

49 and 50 will interchange, 51 uses the wide mount and The mount is one inch forward on the tail shaft. I installed a 51 od in my 50, had to weld a extension on the mount. If you use a 51 cross member it should be a bolt in.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:59 AM   #3
Frank Miller

Are you looking for an overdrive or someone to do the job? I personally would try to find an original overdrive if you have a stock flathead. It is a bolt in installation. All you will need is a kickdown switch and related wiring as well as the relay.
Old 10-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #4
big job

I highly recommend a friend " Chucks Trucks in Camden CT" Chuck Is the nicest, honest
Ford expert on the east coast or on the planet. I know he deals in trucks Mainly Marmon
4x4's His big shop is very well equipped. He is also a vender servicing all even Ford
tractors. Just google "Chucks Trucks" If you go there, Chuck will drop whatever and
have a nice long conversation with you. I say he is the Jay Leno of N. England. And If
you do just say "Big Job" sent ya And then we are 20 min from Prov. RI we have
those ODs and as Greg said ; no big deal for a mount. We have a 4dr 1950 in line
not bad, interior is like 89-% needs good shampoo. Problem is we have a EAB / automatic
and a EAB with Overdrive. what would you do, I never had a automatic & would be nice
or different. But my brain is locked into a gray 1949 with OD. company car. took it home
went way out of state it had whip antenna & great big Laveese? 6vt alternator Motorola
in the trunk. kicks heat & defrosters.& best yet my first girl and the AM radio was
like a Marshall amp. I 95 just opened up where as even 70 mph was quiet as a cat.
I listen to WIN'S in NY then Folks, here's new one, what do you think "Stand by your Man"
I say wow, thats a hit by Tammy. Positive that was 1968. I ask why things come to an end
management traded that for a 1970 Plymouth 8 of them Valients. So couple yrs ago the
boy bought a gray 4dr . I see no holes for spotlights 'so not mine' it has the common
bottom fender rust but not a problem. If anyone had 49-50 the instruments
brightly glowed at night just like these new cars . some 'indiglow paint & red needles.
The Plan two spotlights, 6vt powermaster gray paint a scanner run by a 12 vt small batt
in the trunk so I vote for the late EAB with OD> what ya think. sam

Last edited by big job; 10-17-2019 at 10:06 AM.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:55 AM   #5
1931 flamingo

CHUCK's is in HAMDEN, CT.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #6
1951 Victoria

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Thanks for the referral to Chuck's, I'll go to see him. The Mrs. says i have to see my '51 Vicky before i buy the '50. Vicky's a 34K mile Fordomatic & I want get back to a stick OD. Pete
Old 10-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #7
1951 Victoria

That should read "sell" the Vicky, not "see"!
Old 10-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #8
philipswanson

There are allot more parts involved beyond the transmission, i.e. solenoid, relay, kickdown switch, wiring, cable, & clips.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote