Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-29-2020, 04:55 AM   #21
PeteVS

Default Re: Use of a MIG welder for other purposes?

I want to heat the rivets strictly by resistance. When I get the time, I'm going to see if I can heat a rivet using a 12 V battery with jumper cables and a couple of copper pieces that will fit the ends of a rivet. I have an old Sears starter current meter to measure the amps. I don't think that the HF unit has the oomph to do what I'm thinking of.
Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 AM   #22
Smitty

So the front crossmember in my coupe had been replaced with a 29 unit, bolted in with 3/8 bolts. Scribed the correct location on the frame then put a copper plate behind the 3/8 holes and welded them up with a mig. Next we re-drilled the holes with proper size rivet holes and replaced with Big Flats Rivets. A friend held a buck and we heated the rivet with ox-actelene torch. Once cherry red shot the rivet down with 4-x rivet gun, took 2 heating's to get it set tight. That was 12 years ago, has not loosened a bit and cant tell the cross-member had ever been replaced. Not difficult, just take your time and do it right.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #23
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteVS View Post
I want to heat the rivets strictly by resistance. When I get the time, I'm going to see if I can heat a rivet using a 12 V battery with jumper cables and a couple of copper pieces that will fit the ends of a rivet. I have an old Sears starter current meter to measure the amps. I don't think that the HF unit has the oomph to do what I'm thinking of.
This all sounds like a bad idea. There are multiple posts here already detailing how to do it properly. I'd cut the bull and stick with what works.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:25 AM   #24
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Keep in mind that is possible to blow up a battery with a direct short like this. I would at least isolate it in some way.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 10:30 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

The more I think about this, for the small amount of rivets we are talking about, get a tote tank set up and use Oxy-Acetylene and do it right. Those "B" tanks should last long enough to do this job.

Why risk injuring yourself with some sort of gypsy rig set up?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #26
Smitty

Call Rivet Flats, they will tell you how to do it.
Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:43 PM   #27
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Not sure how many have first hand experience shorting out batteries. When I was in the military I got the brilliant idea of touching a large wrench across a 24 volt battery. It blow a hole about the size of a nickel out of it! I learn a lot of things the hard way (as in the stupid way). On a race car in the early 60s only the ignition was connected to a 12 volt battery (push start car). We were hooking up a single tail light late one evening at the track. I got under the car and was just going to twist two wires together with my hand. Well it ending up being a short to ground and instantly melted the wires into my finger! Learned a number of lessons on that one and a respect for batteries. As a side note, the stories about how you can't change your finger print are dead wrong, mine was parentally changed that night!! So anytime I need remained about batteries all I have to do is look at my right index finger. I tend to be a slow learner on some things, but at least I end up to good reminders.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:32 AM   #28
RKS.PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Not sure how many have first hand experience shorting out batteries. When I was in the military I got the brilliant idea of touching a large wrench across a 24 volt battery. It blow a hole about the size of a nickel out of it! I learn a lot of things the hard way (as in the stupid way). On a race car in the early 60s only the ignition was connected to a 12 volt battery (push start car). We were hooking up a single tail light late one evening at the track. I got under the car and was just going to twist two wires together with my hand. Well it ending up being a short to ground and instantly melted the wires into my finger! Learned a number of lessons on that one and a respect for batteries. As a side note, the stories about how you can't change your finger print are dead wrong, mine was parentally changed that night!! So anytime I need remained about batteries all I have to do is look at my right index finger. I tend to be a slow learner on some things, but at least I end up to good reminders.

In the "I tend to be a slow learner" department, I have a galvanized metal sheet on my workbench top. Turned a 6 volt Optima upside down on the bench.....YIKES!!! No bodily injury, melted the posts, and $180 absolutely wasted!!
RKS.PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:56 AM   #29
JWL
Member Emeritus

I have a similar faulty precaution story. Went to start my 8N and had no power. Remembered the cutoff switch and when I engaged it the ignition was on producing a small arc at the top of the battery. It sounded just about the same as .38 Special when the top of one cell exploded. What a mess!
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 05:14 AM   #30
flatford8

I was changing smoke detector batteries in my house, I put one of the batts in my pocket and my leg started to burn. My keys were in the same pocket and shorted across the posts...... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 08:51 PM   #31
va t

My Solar brand mig has a carbon tip adapter for heat shrinking along with directions for use. It works well. On a 47 Merc convertible I was able to free quarter window adjusters without damaging the paint in door jamb.
va t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:27 PM   #32
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by va t View Post
My Solar brand mig has a carbon tip adapter for heat shrinking along with directions for use. It works well. On a 47 Merc convertible I was able to free quarter window adjusters without damaging the paint in door jamb.
Interesting, never seen that.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:21 AM   #33
PeteVS

Quote:
Do you have a picture of the adaptor? Instructions?

When I was a kid, I spent a couple of summers working in my neighbor's ignition shop. The guys there had a big old screwdriver with a nut welded to the tip and a length of heavy wire with a big old alligator clip. The electrode from a spent "D" cell battery was inserted into the nut and held with a set screw. They used it to heat stubborn hardware or resolder starter armatures by grounding the piece to be heated to a six volt battery. The tool was connected to the battery and pressed against the piece. Worked nicely but it got too hot using a 12 V battery.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #34
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
I'd be interested in see this setup as well, seems I have some things to learn about MIG welders! I have no idea how this could work short of using a completely different line from the machine.

My guess is it first gets setup like a stick welder and the adapter is to the stick welder part?

Last edited by JSeery; 08-10-2020 at 10:23 AM.