Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #1
theriddler56

Send a message via Yahoo to theriddler56
Default Oil filter

I’m assembling my 3-3/8” x 4” 8ba. I’ve modified the oil passages for a “ full flow” oil filter, however I don’t really want the look of a remote oil filter hanging on the engine or firewall. I want something more like it came from the factory. What options or opinions are out there? Does anyone have an opinion about using a stock oil filter and housing possibly by welding in new bungs for either -8 or -10 size lines?

Thanks,

Stephen
theriddler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:15 PM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Oil filter

I mounted my remote on the frame out of sight. You can see a short length of hose going down.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 07:20 PM   #3
ford38v8

There is a misconception about a so-called full flow filter. The rear main being fed directly from the pump makes this system more like a 95% full flow. Compare this to an original bypass system where 99.9% is filtered in about 15 minutes of running time. Compare also that a full flow must have a pressure relief, dumping directly without filter action at all. In addition to this, a full flow passes larger particles than a bypass.
Now, you want to install a full flow that looks like a bypass. Go figure.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:20 PM   #4
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
There is a misconception about a so-called full flow filter. The rear main being fed directly from the pump makes this system more like a 95% full flow. Compare this to an original bypass system where 99.9% is filtered in about 15 minutes of running time. Compare also that a full flow must have a pressure relief, dumping directly without filter action at all. In addition to this, a full flow passes larger particles than a bypass.
Now, you want to install a full flow that looks like a bypass. Go figure.

Having tried both the stock bypass and the stated 95 percent system. There's one thing I find with the 95 system the oil always looks clean. Never noticed that with the stock bypass I find the oil always looks dirty.

Now to help answer the original posters question about the possibility of using the stock filter and housing. The issue you may find using the original filter assembly is the amount of flow and pressure developed in the converted oil system will be difficult to seal at the lid location of the stock filter housing.

However some have used the stock housing to hide a spin on type filter inside the housing. Overall the ones I have seen converted look pretty good. Hopefully one the Barn members with a converted stock housing will post pictures.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:52 PM   #5
deuce_roadster

Like Tony,NY all of my spin on oil filters are out of sight under the car.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:53 PM   #6
theriddler56

I’m well aware that not 100% of the oil is filtered. That’s why I put the “full flow” in quotes. I’m also aware that the rear main gets unfiltered oil, however the majority of the engine gets filtered oil. A by-pass system the filtered oil is dumped right back into the pan, thus “cleaning” a percentage of the oil all the crud stills goes to the bearings, etc. so I would think 95% is better than basically none at all. I agree that there would be no bypass valve in the filter, which the only time that is ever opened is if the filter is plugged or to restricted. The reason I wanted to try to use the stock filter housing was to keep an “original “ look and keep most people guessing.

Sty
Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #7
theriddler56

Ronnieroadster

If someone modified a stock housing for a spin on filter, that info or picture would be well appreciated.

Stephen
Old 01-02-2023, 08:57 PM   #8
theriddler56

I’m well aware that not 100% of the oil is filtered. That’s why I put the “full flow” in quotes. I’m also aware that the rear main gets unfiltered oil, however the majority of the engine gets filtered oil. A by-pass system the filtered oil is dumped right back into the pan, thus “cleaning” a percentage of the oil all the crud stills goes to the bearings, etc. so I would think 95% is better than basically none at all. I agree that there would be no bypass valve in the filter, which the only time that is ever opened is if the filter is plugged or to restricted. The reason I wanted to try to use the stock filter housing was to keep an “original “ look and keep most people guessing.

Sty
Old 01-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #9
Ol' Ron

Having done dozens of 95% system's. I recommended welding a bracked behind the steering box and mounting the spin on filter there. It cleans up the engine compartment and is in a convenient location to replace when draining the oil. I try to do thing s that are logical and never consider aesthetics. waste of time and doesn;t offer anything to performance or economy.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 09:56 AM   #10
5851a

Hide the 95% and leave the old cannister empty and hanging on the engine.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 03:06 PM   #11
Newc

With todays clean roads and little driving of flatheads , are oil filters necessary ?? Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 04:31 PM   #12
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
With todays clean roads and little driving of flatheads , are oil filters necessary ?? Newc
I can’t taste the difference between my tap water and my filtered water from the refrigerator, but I always use the filtered water just because.
Old 01-03-2023, 05:25 PM   #13
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Probably not, but it makes removing the stock bypass system a detrimental move.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote