Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2019, 11:16 PM   #21
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 Cab View Post
A fuel pump that looks new does not make it a good one. Sounds like you have very low fuel pressure. Blockage or leak in line from tank bad pump... Need to check fuel pressure for 2-3 psi.

I am waiting on a gauge to check the fuel but I tried two things I ran a fuel line from a gas can and placed it higher then the carb. The car idled but would not accelerate or rev up. I also tried accelerating and pouring a little gas from a squirt bottle into the carb and it would not accelerate it just sounds like it is missing.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #22
Tinker
Senior Member
 
Tinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: MN/FL
Posts: 5,711
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Well.... it sounds like more fuel isn't the issue. Granted you could drown a carb but a drizzle wouldn't do that. You could still have fuel issues down the road, but if the butterflies are working and you bottle feed it, it should rev up. Takes more gas then you would think full throttle btw.

So... Have you done a compression check? Plug wires in the right order? Guess it could be a bad condenser at this point also... are these tests in the garage only?.


Start with the free/cheap checks. Plugwires, compression check, condenser.


Everything needs to work in concert. One thing bad and it makes everything "sound" bad. If everything is on it's so sweet.

I had an issue like this with my 38 after it was rebuild. In the garage it would purr at idle and rev. Once I drove it underload it fell on it's face. Turned out to be sticky valves.



.

Last edited by Tinker; 11-04-2019 at 01:32 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-03-2019, 11:48 PM   #23
ford38v8
Senior Member
 
ford38v8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 5,307
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

You didn't say, but I assume the carburetor is a 94. Did you check the power valve? As the previous owner had fuel issues, he may have disabled the power valve, which would explain the starving during acceleration tries. Obtain a good functioning power valve (economizer valve), and try again. Also check the main jets to be clear, and of a single carb usable size, .050 or .051.
__________________
Alan
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 12:09 AM   #24
tubman
Senior Member
 
tubman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Minnesota, Florida Keys
Posts: 6,676
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

This may be basic, but I have to ask : Are you manually opening the throttle when feeding it gas from the bottle? More gas alone won't do it; you need additional air as well.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:57 AM   #25
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
This may be basic, but I have to ask : Are you manually opening the throttle when feeding it gas from the bottle? More gas alone won't do it; you need additional air as well.
Yes I am manually opening the throttle when feeding the gas and there is no change. It doesn't seem to matter if I add the gas or not It still runs the same.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:02 AM   #26
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
You didn't say, but I assume the carburetor is a 94. Did you check the power valve? As the previous owner had fuel issues, he may have disabled the power valve, which would explain the starving during acceleration tries. Obtain a good functioning power valve (economizer valve), and try again. Also check the main jets to be clear, and of a single carb usable size, .050 or .051.
It is a 94. The accelerator pump was not working and so I rebuilt the carb tonight and did replace the power valve. I will put it back on the car later today. Fingers crossed.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:13 AM   #27
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Well.... it sounds like more fuel isn't the issue. Granted you could drown a carb but a drizzle wouldn't do that. You could still have fuel issues down the road, but if the butterflies are working and you bottle feed it, it should rev up. Takes more gas then you would think full throttle btw.

So... Have you done a compression check? Plug wires in the right order? Guess it could be a bad condenser at this point also... are these tests in the garage only?.


Start with the free/cheap checks. Plugwires, compression check, condenser.



Everything needs to work in concert. One thing bad and it makes everything "sound" bad. If everything is on it's so sweet.

I had an issue like this with my 38 after it was rebuild. In the garage it would purr at idle and rev. Once I drove it underload it fell on it's face. Turned out to be sticky valves.



.



I will start with the above next suggestions next. Thanks for your help.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 06:06 PM   #28
jhljr44@yahoo.com
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: orrington, maine
Posts: 66
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Make sure you have a good blue spark. I had the same trouble exactly. Had nice yellow spark. Adding gas kept putting out the spark . New condenser and away it went. On another flatty that did the same thing had a muffler plugged with acorns and grain seeds. I cut the muffler off and wow away it went.
jhljr44@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:17 AM   #29
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhljr44@yahoo.com View Post
Make sure you have a good blue spark. I had the same trouble exactly. Had nice yellow spark. Adding gas kept putting out the spark . New condenser and away it went. On another flatty that did the same thing had a muffler plugged with acorns and grain seeds. I cut the muffler off and wow away it went.

Thank you I will check that.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #30
Ggmac
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Lake worth Florida
Posts: 565
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

I'm in west palm beach and willing to help if you get down this way .
Gary
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 03:50 AM   #31
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

An update!!!


I have found that the fuel pump is no good and was leaking fuel into the oil. I have ordered a new pump that will be here just before Thanksgiving. Thank you for all your input and help.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM   #32
Mart
Senior Member
 
Mart's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Solihull, England.
Posts: 6,718
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Glad you found what was causing the problem.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:29 PM   #33
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,063
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailerparkhardware View Post
An update!!!


I have found that the fuel pump is no good and was leaking fuel into the oil. I have ordered a new pump that will be here just before Thanksgiving. Thank you for all your input and help.
That's why I suggest that as one of the first checks, fuel in the oil can thin it to the point that it can damage bearings.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 01:44 PM   #34
joe 1950
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Green Bay Wi
Posts: 275
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

not a common problem but possibly plugged exhaust you just never know what could be in there especially if itís been sitting a while keep us posted
joe 1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:55 PM   #35
4t7heaven
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 30
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Just in case the fuel pump does not correct the problem. Do you have a test meter? If not, go buy one. They are cheap and you simply must have one and learn how to use it.
Readings should be about: Battery 6.3V, ignition switch 6.37V, cold resistor 2.5 OHMS
to resistor 6.15V voltage after resistor 2.9V voltage at coil 2.5V
AMPS to resistor (not running) 4.5A (running) 3.09A
at coil at idle 3.02A / 3.3V
Voltage setting of voltage regulator (B terminal) running engine at 2000RPM should be 7.3-7.5V
Hope the new pump does the trick for you.
Deadhair

Last edited by 4t7heaven; 11-21-2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: additional info
4t7heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:33 PM   #36
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's why I suggest that as one of the first checks, fuel in the oil can thin it to the point that it can damage bearings.


Thank you. That is why I checked it. The pump arrived today (early) so tomorrow I will install and see where I am at. Thank you for your help and advise.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:34 PM   #37
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe 1950 View Post
not a common problem but possibly plugged exhaust you just never know what could be in there especially if itís been sitting a while keep us posted


Plugged exhaust could be an issue. I will keep you posted.
Thank you.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:36 PM   #38
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t7heaven View Post
Just in case the fuel pump does not correct the problem. Do you have a test meter? If not, go buy one. They are cheap and you simply must have one and learn how to use it.
Readings should be about: Battery 6.3V, ignition switch 6.37V, cold resistor 2.5 OHMS
to resistor 6.15V voltage after resistor 2.9V voltage at coil 2.5V
AMPS to resistor (not running) 4.5A (running) 3.09A
at coil at idle 3.02A / 3.3V
Voltage setting of voltage regulator (B terminal) running engine at 2000RPM should be 7.3-7.5V
Hope the new pump does the trick for you.
Deadhair


Thank you for the great information. I do have a test meter. I will be installing the pump tomorrow and seeing where I am at. Even if it fixes the problem. I will still use the meter to test what you have shared. Thank you again for the help and information.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
JSeery
Senior Member
 
JSeery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita KS
Posts: 15,063
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Couple of additional comments on doing electrical test. Only keep the ignition turned on long enough to take a reading if the engine is not running. Also with the engine is not running the readings at the coil is different between when the points are open and when there closed. Current only flows through the ignition circuit when the points are closed.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:00 AM   #40
Trailerparkhardware
Junior Member
 
Trailerparkhardware's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: Deland, FL
Posts: 29
Default Re: 41 Ford engine help

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Couple of additional comments on doing electrical test. Only keep the ignition turned on long enough to take a reading if the engine is not running. Also with the engine is not running the readings at the coil is different between when the points are open and when there closed. Current only flows through the ignition circuit when the points are closed.
Thank you for the additional information.
Trailerparkhardware is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.