Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-13-2017, 05:44 PM   #21
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: tie rod rubbing

Do your self a favor and on a scrap of paper count and record the number of exposed threads on both ends of the tierod before you start any work on it. Then put the scrap of paper on the steering wheel, or on the bathroom mirror so you wont loose it.
Bob
Brentwood Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
larrys40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
Do your self a favor and on a scrap of paper count and record the number of exposed threads on both ends of the tierod before you start any work on it. Then put the scrap of paper on the steering wheel, or on the bathroom mirror so you wont loose it.
Bob

I understand this but if you leave about the same amount of threads on each end you will be fine to rotate it to where you need for proper toe in. Pull the unit as an assembly as I said in previous post and do it on the bench. Do NOT try and do the insane by undoing the rod on the car and trying to unscrew and screw back in the with the tie rod end installed on the steering arms on the car. I never understand why some do this when it can be removed as an assembly and done right on the bench. check balls, replace arms if necessary, install new caps and rubbers, and steer eze kit.
Assemble and install as an assembly back on the car complete with steering arm ready to slip on to the sector shaft. Easy way to do it.

Larry
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-13-2017, 06:35 PM   #23
montanafordman

Sometimes its a combination of things. My front end had taken a hit at some point and as a result the wishbone was bent, my front axle was bent, tie rod was bent. I straightened my axle, replaced the wishbone and tie rod, and rebuilt all the other components. The funny thing is that I sent my steering arms off to be rebuilt/ exchanged and one of the arms I got in exchange was bent! They were good about it and sent me a different one when I discovered that something still wasn't right and narrowed it down to the bent steering arm. It helps to just address EVERYTHING in your steering when something is worn or off like that. You'll be happy you did. After I did all that work I eliminated all the play, had no death wobble, and could go smoothly down the road with one finger on the wheel and the car would track straight without scrubbing any tires.