Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
alexiskai

Default Re: High compression head and timing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
Nice job on your timing stop Bruce. I have a Phillip's 'Automatic Automatic Spark Control' (similar to the Nu-Rex repro copy) on my Town Sedan that uses a similar stop. I have my total timing set at 28°. I set the spark control so when it is fully up it is @ ~5° ATDC so I can adjust full auto advance if needed. The lever for normal driving stays at 0° at idle.
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I have the Nu-Rex product and I mostly just leave the spark lever alone after calibrating it. Under what circumstances are you making adjustments to the timing provided by the auto-advance?
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #22
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Can you elaborate on this a little bit? I have the Nu-Rex product and I mostly just leave the spark lever alone after calibrating it. Under what circumstances are you making adjustments to the timing provided by the auto-advance?
Like you, "I mostly just leave the spark lever alone after calibrating it. "

But a couple of times on an uphill I have heard a little "ping' and I will retard the timing a little. So I set the initial timing with the lever all the way up a 5° ATDC, it gives me room. If I set the initial timing at 0° with the lever all the way up, you can not retard it if needed at full advance with the Phillips/Nu-Rex auto advance.

Normally, I have the timing lever down a little, at 0°, and never touch the lever. I hope the makes sense.

[QUOTE=Y-Blockhead;1872577]The timing lever for normal driving stays at 0° at idle.

I should have "said the timing stays at 0° MOST of the time, not just at IDLE. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 04-10-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-11-2020, 09:24 AM   #23
Bruce of MN

Updated version:

To use with my 6:1 head, I made this little clamp from a 1/4" coupler nut and a setscrew. The opening was carved with a cutting wheel on my dremel and dressed up with a file. I shortened it and filed some off the top to let the spark lever pivot down to where it needed to be for full advance. After setting the spark with the lever up at TDC, I set the crankshaft at 28 deg BTDC, using the Nurex timing strip. Next, I installed the little clamp on the lower edge of the “window” that the lever swings through, then lowered the lever. To check, I put the crank at ~35 deg, then confirmed the points opened when I rotated the engine to the 28 deg spot. The price was right for the clamp!

Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:30 AM   #24
Nosetime

I run a Mallory, but if running stock distributor...Bruce has a great solution there.
Nosetime is offline   Reply With Quote