Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
mach0415

Default New use for A wishbone

This past week, my family and I visited the NC Transportation Museum in Spencer, NC. While the focus is on rail transportation (good place to go for train fans), the automobile exhibit was pretty cool. Several of Henry's examples are there - Model R, both brass and steel T's, a 1931 Slant Window Murray TS, among Buick, Willys Knight, etc.

Here is a pic of a vintage 1937 blue oval racer with a cannibalized A yoke to tow it with.

"We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful." -- By society, who is still arguing over who said it.
mach0415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:32 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: New use for A wishbone

Mark, I am not seeing the picture.

Since you mentioned a racer, are you "into" racing? My son & I used to run at Cleveland Co Speedway every once in awhile. (Don't run our class now) Several of our friends are regulars there in the 'crate late' class. Do you ever go there?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 AM   #3
Richard Wilson

Several years ago I organized an overnight club tour from Asheville to the NC Transportation Museum. They were giving rides around the property on a vintage steam train the same weekend. There were lot's of vintage train engines and cars plus old automobiles and trucks. We spent about a half day exploring the nearby Civil War cemetary and old hardware and antique stores in nearby Salisbury. It was an interesting and fun weekend.
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Mark, I am not seeing the picture...
Apparently you have to be logged into AOL to see the photo.

Joe
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #5
Purdy Swoft

I have seen later V8 wishbones used to make steel saw horses. They make good ones.

I wouldn't use model A wishbones. t cut up model A wishbones
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:25 PM   #6
desotoguy

Dont'n mean to hijack the thread.
On the topic of old Ford parts put to another use, I remember seeing the axle housings from a closed drive Ford rear used for jackstands. They cut off the outer end and cut somewhat of a "V" into it. Thinking back on how it looked, I don't think it was very safe the car would be quite high off the floor and the footprint was small.
desotoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

I've seen lots of jack stands made from Ford closed drive axle housings. They could be made .in different lengths, depending on where the small end of the housing was cut off. They would then weld on a short length of channel iron. I still have people ask to buy some of my axle housings for that purpose. I allways refuse, I may need them later, especially if the outer bearing surface is still usable.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #8
Pete

Tow bars from old Ford wishbones was a very lucrative business for us in the olden dayz(50's)...It took about 15 minutes to build one and we got $25 for it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I've seen lots of jack stands made from Ford closed drive axle housings. They could be made .in different lengths, depending on where the small end of the housing was cut off. They would then weld on a short length of channel iron. I still have people ask to buy some of my axle housings for that purpose. I allways refuse, I may need them later, especially if the outer bearing surface is still usable.
I thought those were the only jack stands in the world till I was about 21. BTW, the bearing surfaces are always repairable. I do them in my shop.
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #10
40 Deluxe

I survived a number of years working under cars supported by the Ford axle jackstands. The trick was to go around and rap each jackstand with a big hammer just above the floor in every direction. Usually you would see/hear the stand move a bit to sit flat on the floor. THEN you got on the creeper and slid under.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rogers View Post
I thought those were the only jack stands in the world till I was about 21. BTW, the bearing surfaces are always repairable. I do them in my shop.
I agree. When I went to work at Stewart Chevrolet in 67, that was the only jack stands that they had, same at the GMC dealership. They were still a lot safer than some of the foreign stands that are on the market.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Richard in NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
T model rear end housings make the best jack stands. The axle tube is not tapered and a piece of 2" steel tubing will fit right in. Drill a row of holes and use a bolt or late model valve for a pin and you have a nice adjustable stand. The foot print is 9.25" and is very stable on concrete.
Richard in NC is offline   Reply With Quote