Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #21
Don S

Default Re: new battery goin dead

No need to change the starter to a 12volt one , my 6 volt starter has worked well on 12 volts for over 20 years. Keep in mind that 12 volts spins the starter faster, but for less time to start your engine , if ignition and carb are up to snuff.
Don S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:41 PM   #22
J Franklin

I think the concern with 12V is the starter drive.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #23
Chuck Sea/Tac

Is your cut out stuck shut?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:27 AM   #24
Patrick L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytocci View Post
this is a build in progress . the only wires are what is needed to run engine and charge battery. the ampmeter shows a 10amp charge when it runs . battery voltage read 2.75 volts this morning and it has been on a charger since that reading was taken.

Have you checked for a draw ?

If you have a draw then its either a bad ignition switch or generator cut-out.

If there is no draw then it seems like you have a bad battery.

You really shouldn't need a 10 amp charge rate.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 08:52 AM   #25
big job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrytocci View Post
I only have ignition wired for now . Meter shows it charging when it runs
woh hold on; you have only the Ign wired for now, then why does the amp meter show a charge??? you have to have the generator wire hooked up only way it will show a charge.
if so take that wire off now what? All electric now should be dead. But anything is
possible like the ignitions switch is really not off so take that wire off the coil and see

Last edited by big job; 11-19-2020 at 09:00 AM.
big job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:28 AM   #26
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by big job View Post
woh hold on; you have only the Ign wired for now, then why does the amp meter show a charge??? you have to have the generator wire hooked up only way it will show a charge.
if so take that wire off now what? All electric now should be dead. But anything is
possible like the ignitions switch is really not off so take that wire off the coil and see

See post 19, he posted there that he also has the charging circuit hooked up.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 09:57 AM   #27
30 Closed Cab PU

It is possible you just got a bad battery. It has happened to me in the past on my 12V battery late model cars/trucks.

On new batteries I do not trust the stores, and before use check the level in them to make sure the level is over the plates and then put the battery on a maintained/charger. Some stores simply put the acid in them and do not charge the batteries, this does not fully charge them. The stores rely on your generator/alternator providing a full 1st charge. Recheck the fluid level.

After charging I use this load tester on them, is inexpensive at harbor freight, also available on amazon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...ter-61747.html.

I have caught 2 new 12V new batteries bad this way. I also do this procedure on all my batteries in late fall. Started this many years back when in an emergency due to a bad battery when on the road. Towed to a dealer, they installed a new GM Delco battery and tested the charging system for big bucks. 20 months later the battery went dead. They neglected to tell me that their batteries only had a warranty of 18 months.

I would take the battery back and get a new one. Freshen your battery connections, could have corrosion or paint. Install a digital ammeter capable of measuring low current in series with the battery, If you have an digital ammeter with a peak hold feature it will hold the reading of max current measured for display. Turn on the ignition with the points open , do not start it. Let it sit overnight.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 10:27 AM   #28
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
It is possible you just got a bad battery. It has happened to me in the past on my 12V battery late model cars/trucks.

On new batteries I do not trust the stores, and before use check the level in them to make sure the level is over the plates and then put the battery on a maintained/charger. Some stores simply put the acid in them and do not charge the batteries, this does not fully charge them. The stores rely on your generator/alternator providing a full 1st charge. Recheck the fluid level.

After charging I use this load tester on them, is inexpensive at harbor freight, also available on amazon.
https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6...ter-61747.html.

I have caught 2 new 12V new batteries bad this way. I also do this procedure on all my batteries in late fall. Started this many years back when in an emergency due to a bad battery when on the road. Towed to a dealer, they installed a new GM Delco battery and tested the charging system for big bucks. 20 months later the battery went dead. They neglected to tell me that their batteries only had a warranty of 18 months.

I would take the battery back and get a new one. Freshen your battery connections, could have corrosion or paint. Install a digital ammeter capable of measuring low current in series with the battery, If you have an digital ammeter with a peak hold feature it will hold the reading of max current measured for display. Turn on the ignition with the points open , do not start it. Let it sit overnight.
This is good advice.

To which I'll add:

Yes, batteries are not fully charged when initially filled with acid. Add to that a car alternator is a very poor way of charging initially if all you do is drive a few miles. They really need to be on a charger, trickle or otherwise, for a good 24 hours. They should be brought up to 14-14.4 volts for that long a time. A really small trickle charge might not do that. But anything for initial charging is better than nothing.

With really big, really expensive, really important batteries, this is far more relevant. By comparison, car batteries are cheap and most people don't do this, and still get acceptable service life. Any full discharge weakens the battery.

Another really good really easy test method is specific gravity. Get an electrolyte tester, turkey baster style, with a calibrated float, not the 5 colored balls. Test every cell after fully charging overnight. Any low cell condemns the battery. The reading of the weakest cell gives you a very good idea of percent life left in the battery.

Also, check for even electrolyte level, and be aware that after the first full charge cells might need to be topped off. Most battery experts advise to never add acid after this initial leveling, only water. With any modern sealed acid battery, this is moot.

Battery cases are dated now. You have no idea how long they've been on the shelf wet-charged. Look for a recent date.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote