Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #1
MarkW

Default Thinking of buying a model A

Thinking of buying a model A. I know nothing about these cars. I don't want to restore one I want to buy one that is ready to drive. We farm with old equipment so I get enough shop time keeping that running. What should I look for when buying? The only thing I have done is sat in one. Are they just a 3 speed transmission and do they have a rust problem?

This is my first post on this form.
Thanks for the info.
Mark
MarkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
ronn

Default Re: Thinking of buying a model A

First determine which body styles you are interested in. Next, check all wood carefully.

do the doors open and close well or do they sag? Then be concerned with rust. Finally go to the mechanical and as you would check a tractor, do the same with the A.
Clutch brakes, engine etc.

determining your budget and what style you want is the first thing though......

Tudors tend to be the cheapest and roadsters the most expensive, wo going into rare models.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:17 AM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Mark, I sent you a private message.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:33 AM   #4
MarkW

Jackson how do I see that?
Old 09-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
30 Closed Cab PU

Hi Mark, welcome to the Ford Barn Model A forum.

Private Message sometimes is also called a PM.

At the top right of this page it will display in small type say "Welcome MarkW". 2 more lines down it displays "Private Messages", click on that and another page display concerning private messages, just click and explore.

My advice, like post above recommends figure out model you want, then find someone mechanically familiar with As locally to help you.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #6
MarkW

Found it thanks am watching.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Pmsqrd

Where are you located ? Find a local club. The members will be more than happy to provide information and help. Do not rush into a purchase. Look at a few cars to get a feel for the body style and condition that fits your budget. There are plenty of A’s for sale out there that are already done.
Pmsqrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:24 AM   #8
WHN

No matter the body style, find one that has had as few owners as possible.

If you can find a car that has been owned and loved by the same family for 25 or 30 years. It mostlikely has seen reasonable care.

Just like a used car today. Start with the running gear. What has been done to the front end, brakes, steering box, springs, shocks, engine, clutch, transmission, tires.

History of ownership.

Paint and interior speak for themselves.

If it has a lot of jewelry on it. I would walk away.

There are some very nicely maintained cars out there that might not be show winners, but they are a lot of fun. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:58 AM   #9
1930artdeco

Welcome to the club Mark. Here is my two cents worth:

-Join a local club to pick their brains
-Get Les Andrews books and as shameless plug the DVD set on how to repair your model A-MAFCA etc.
-Even though you have tractor experience (I don't) the Model A is Totally mechanical and designed to be rebuilt as things wear out. Like the brakes-any little slop and they degrade quickly.
-and lastly, have fun in the hunt. Try out various body styles after you decide what you want.

Mike
Old 09-09-2018, 10:43 AM   #10
JBill

Be sure to find a model you can fit into! Size varies. I always wanted a '29 roadster pickup, but found I just couldn't fit into one comfortably, and there is no seat adjustment other than the thickness of the rear seat cushion. I ended up with a regular '29 roadster, and even then had to bend the gearshift lever in order to be able to get my foot on the brake pedal. We are apparently much larger than they were then!
JBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
Mike Peters

You can buy an older restoration, or even a very nice original car for less than the cost of restoring a Model A. Instant gratification. To me, a low ,mileage orginal unrestored Model A is perfect. I bought a 29 Fordor once that had been repainted with a brush in the 50's, 60,000 original miles. Tight car that drove like a dream.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:19 PM   #12
Ted Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsqrd View Post
Where are you located ? Find a local club. The members will be more than happy to provide information and help. Do not rush into a purchase. Look at a few cars to get a feel for the body style and condition that fits your budget. There are plenty of A’s for sale out there that are already done.

Really good advice. Get some rides in different ones. Get to know the members. They are great people and will guide you.

Google MAFCA and MARC and find your nearest chapter.
Ted Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #13

Listen to all of the above, and you might not end up like me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050272.jpg (65.1 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg P2090289.jpg (43.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg P1050276.jpg (64.9 KB, 94 views)
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 AM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

To help you decide what body style appeals most to you, buy this inexpensive booklet, which contains factory-fresh Model A's just hours after being built: https://www.etsy.com/listing/5450393...SABEgJ7GfD_BwE
As others have recommended, keep practical considerations in mind while mulling over what body style to buy: family size, YOUR size, climate in your area (roadsters are not so good in northern Michigan!), budget, proposed purpose (parades, touring, putt-putting around town), etc. We've all seen it time and time again when a newbie buys the first Model A he finds or one nearby, and ends up selling it because it doesn't meet his needs after all. Example: a 1930 Coupe is nice looking and fun to drive, but not much good in a family of six. Think ahead to how you'll be using the car, now and in the future.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #15
Charlie Stephens

I put together an answer to your question several years ago and Jim Mason was nice enough to host it on his site. I think you would find it interesting: http://jmodela.coffeecup.com/wherestart.html

You will also find the rest of his site interesting.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
burner31

[ATTACH][ATTACH]Attachment 373342[/ATTACH][/ATTACH]I was in the same place as you, that is, wanting one but never having driven one let alone sitting in one or touching one, just always wanted one.
One of the best things I ever did, found out I love working on them as much as driving them.
Mine was an unfinished restoration, started in early '60's and ended in about '63 unfinished and in pieces, learned about Model A's by putting it back together.
You've made the decision, now all you have to do is follow-thru.
Listen to the folks above, take your time and get what you want, and you'll be a very happy man.
Welcome to the Barn...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170620_104723 (1) b.jpg (130.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00211.JPG (152.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_101904_resized (1).jpg (59.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Shawnee train station.jpg (24.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 20170828_102207_resized (2).jpg (66.1 KB, 24 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #17
woofa.express

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Thinking of buying a model A. I know nothing about these cars. I don't want to restore one I want to buy one that is ready to drive. We farm with old equipment so I get enough shop time keeping that running. What should I look for when buying? The only thing I have done is sat in one. Are they just a 3 speed transmission and do they have a rust problem?

This is my first post on this form.
Thanks for the info.
Mark

Hi Mark. you have got some good advise off other Model A owners on this post. You have gone about this in the correct way.
I only wish I had sort advise prior to buying. The restoration cost me 35K and you will no doubt know that's about twice the purchase price of an already restored vehicle. I'm not into mechanics so it's not as if I have had pleasure from the restoration.
good luck, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 03:10 PM   #18
Oakhurst

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBill View Post
Be sure to find a model you can fit into! Size varies. I always wanted a '29 roadster pickup, but found I just couldn't fit into one comfortably, and there is no seat adjustment other than the thickness of the rear seat cushion. I ended up with a regular '29 roadster, and even then had to bend the gearshift lever in order to be able to get my foot on the brake pedal. We are apparently much larger than they were then!
This just what I was going to say. I had several coupes and fit in them fine, but never had the money to finish them. 50 yrs later, saw a 28 roadster, wow, had to have it. Now I can't fit in, probably being 76 years old is a factor.
Oakhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:08 AM   #19
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmsqrd View Post

What he said!!
Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM   #20
37 Coupe

Definitely take another set of eyes with you, mayby not even a friend but someone who has been through these cars.I bought my first Model A 54 years ago and just recently bought my second one after many years of Early V-8. My 9 year old grandson pointed out about 3-4 descrepancies within 5 minutes of seeing the car. I am not sorry I bought it but could have done better.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #21
supergnat

I would recommend that in addition to the other suggestions it is critical to inspect the gas tank for rust. I can be challenging since there are baffles. Do a searchon this forum since there are probably tips on how to do an inspection. My car had a very rusty tank. No one makes replacements unless you go to saddle tanks which require a pump. It was difficult to find a good one but I finally did. Good luck. Replacing the tank on a fordor car is challenging.
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 11:50 AM   #22
30 Closed Cab PU

Shocks- expensive, lots of times they missing, or are leaking, or have leaked so much they are dry/bad.

Cooling system - Radiator, expensive for a good one, can run over $800, Quickest way to check cooling system is to run it for 30 min at 45 mph or more on a hot day to see if it overheats. Look into the radiator fill, inspect what you can see. Also see if core/tubes are visible, 2 rows of tubes are known to have issues, 3 row design are generally good. Look at the bottom of the radiator cap for build up of rust. After running,drain a little coolant through the lower hose petcock, you can use a cut off water bottle to catch it, if it is a really a dark brown and/or there are little particles - there is rust.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:28 PM   #23
gary678*

I was a newcomer to the Model "A" scene and bought a restored and road ready 1930 Cabriolet almost 2 years ago. Although there are many honest A owners out there, do not consider buying unless you visit, see and test drive the car. If the car has no plates and the owner says it cannot go on the road that is a RED FLAG. Before buying mine was test driven 10 miles on local roads without registered plates. If you use an inspector do not use one that the owner recommends or pays; you select and pay the inspector to avoid a biased evaluation. If you can, bring a knowledgeable "A" person with you. Local Model "A" clubs are a great resource; our local Hudson Valley club has many knowledgeable people which serve as a great resource for novices like me. Many owners keep paper records of their work; ask to see them. Two problems that I had were 1) gas smells- the owner assured me it was simply a gasket problem. After buying it turned out that the gas shut-off leaked, the gas line leaked, the sediment bowl leaked, and the carburetor was faulty; I had to replace all. 2) Coolant use- the owner said it used a little water. Once I owned and drove it, a 1/2 gallon was used every 30 miles. Turned out it was a blown head gasket that I had to replace. There is a kit available for loan from Autozone that is easy to use which can immediately test for a blown head gasket. Bring the kit along if it is running vehicle. One other recommendation is to bring a small magnet when you go to see the car. Wrap it in a handkerchief and run it along all parts of the body to check for fillers, Bondo, etc. The handkerchief prevents scratching the paint. Fortunately I did not have the filler problem. I must also say that I was happy with my purchase and love my car, but with a little more knowledge I could have been able to negotiate a better price. Good luck but do not suffer from love at first sight. It took me 5 months to locate the car I wanted; search area was anywhere east of the Mississippi, Quebec and Ontario.
gary678* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #24
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakhurst View Post
This just what I was going to say. I had several coupes and fit in them fine, but never had the money to finish them. 50 yrs later, saw a 28 roadster, wow, had to have it. Now I can't fit in, probably being 76 years old is a factor.
A friend died years ago who had a '28 Roadster Pickup fully restored. His son asked if I'd drive that vehicle to the cemetery behind the hearse. 'Sure glad to do it that would be an honor.'

Never had been in a Roadster Pickup before. I learned that at over 6 feet tall, forget about it what a giant pain I could barely get in the thing.

I like those Model A's but I wouldn't want one as a gift. There's no way I could ride in it or get in and out of it. Bill's friend, another WWII vet who was very short about 5'4" asked if he could ride. I said 'Sure'. He opened the door and hopped right in no problems whatsoever
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote