Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2017, 06:33 PM   #1
ursus

Default Headlights/ Parking Lights

I need to replace an old wiring loom on my standard coupe with the TwoLite headlamps. The replacement loom that I have stored away seems to be for the deluxe cars with cowl mounted parking lights because it only has two wire leads per headlamp. I am tempted to use it because I don't ever make use of the parking lights anyway.

How many of you actually use the parking lights on your car? They are so dim as it is, so I am curious about their actual utility, aside from the fact of keeping the original lighting functions intact.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
JDupuis

Default Re: Headlights/ Parking Lights

My parking lights are now turn signals on one of my cars.
I should add that this car also has cowl lights. I really don't use them. Jeff
Old 04-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
2manycars

Our cars have the older headlamps that originally had a parking beam and driving beam. (only one bulb). They are now used as high and low beam, without any parking lamp use in front.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
SSsssteamer

Many states require a parking light to be seen from both the front and the rear of the vehicle. Early 28 A had a smaller single socket filament heat light bulb. Cars there after had a little larger socket double filament bulb. One filament was used for the high beam and one filament used for low beam. Also, having both a high and low beam was a requirement for most states. In addition a second smaller bulb was included in the model A head light, the parking light bulb. Here in the State of Washington, we are even required by law to have a lighted rear license plate light. Most laws here in Washington state that if the car was built to comply with their current laws at their time of their manufacture, then those laws are still to be enforced for that model of car today.
SSsssteamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:09 PM   #5
Jim/GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursus View Post
I need to replace an old wiring loom on my standard coupe with the TwoLite headlamps. The replacement loom that I have stored away seems to be for the deluxe cars with cowl mounted parking lights because it only has two wire leads per headlamp. I am tempted to use it because I don't ever make use of the parking lights anyway.

How many of you actually use the parking lights on your car? They are so dim as it is, so I am curious about their actual utility, aside from the fact of keeping the original lighting functions intact.
What year is your car?

Is it possible that you purchased a wiring harness that is for the 1928 cars (with the vertical line fluted lenses) that only have park (3 cp filament) and driving lights in the headlights?

<=== Check it out! 1,000 posts!
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
DJ S

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I use them sometimes just as it starts to get dim out just so other cars can see me and then when it gets dark, I turn on my headlights.
DJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:45 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ S View Post
I use them sometimes just as it starts to get dim out just so other cars can see me and then when it gets dark, I turn on my headlights.
That's it exactly!
When parking the car you want others to see you but you do not want your headlights pointing into oncoming traffic. We no longer use our lights like they were designed to be used.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #8
2manycars

My father told me that when he was a kid in NYC, cars parked beside the road had to have the parking lights on. (thus the name parking lights?). When I was a kid here in CT it was not legal to drive with parking lights on, and that law was modified when in 68 or so parking lights came on with head lights.

Both our model As do not have parking lights in the front, and I never see the need for them. If it is getting dark, I turn on the head lights.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
ursus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim/TX/GA View Post
What year is your car?

Is it possible that you purchased a wiring harness that is for the 1928 cars (with the vertical line fluted lenses) that only have park (3 cp filament) and driving lights in the headlights?

<=== Check it out! 1,000 posts!
No, the harness matches with the wiring diagram for later cars having cowl lights. It is interesting to see the history behind the need for parking lights presented here. I recall the many discussions about why cars of that era have an interior door lock on the driver's side and a keyed entry lock on the passenger side.
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote