Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #1
PC/SR

Default Ring gear and Starter motor blues

At the end of the summer I though I was feeling a bit more vibration than usual, so for that and other reasons, pulled the engine. Found that the ring gear was partially loose, one side was about 1/4 inch off the flywheel flange. The teeth were chewed a bit. Maybe a bad gear or improper installation, so have ordered a new gear.
But, its a 12 volt system with a 6.5 compression ratio, and it whacks pretty good when starting, turns fast, so wondered about the starter wiring. Forum search turns up that a 12v starter should be wired in series not parallel.
I got the starter a long time ago, supposed to be a 56 Ford 12v case, flathead armature, Model A end cap.
The wiring diagram of what I found is I hope attached. It seems two coils are is wired parallel. There are only 3 coils. Two are heavy copper, in parallel, the third is 16 gauge wire.
Are only two big coils correct? What is the purpose of the small coil? How do you run a connector from the first big coil to the second so they are in series? Should I start from scratch with a 12v starter. What say the experts?
To avoid questions about just putting in a stock 6v starter, I don't want to do that because I suspect it is now wired as a 6v starter and it hits too hard and the ring gear is loose. I think the HC head is a problem. I have the heavy duty starter drive.
Thanks to all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starter 001.jpg (28.2 KB, 60 views)
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Tom Endy

Default Re: Ring gear and Starter motor blues

You can take your flywheel to a machine shop and have a new ring gear installed and pinned in place so it won't ride forward. Remember to instruct the shop that the tapered teeth on the ring gear face aft.

Install a 12-volt Model A starter.

Tom Endy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flywheel 1.JPG (34.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg flywheel close.JPG (46.0 KB, 31 views)
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
MikeK

Three coils and one empty shoe? That's one messed up starter!
EDIT: Perhaps not (see addition below this diagram)

Tom W said he has seen a Ford starter with an empty shoe and one finer reverse winding, likely for limiting speed. I found this drawing of several configurations, look at the lower right. In any case I'd feel more comfortable with the tried-and-true configuration that has no fine-wire coil!

Last edited by MikeK; 12-16-2013 at 12:59 AM.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
PC/SR

Thanks for the responses, which really help.
Tom, the pins are great, I'll do it.
Mike, thaks for the drawings. I could not find any. I think your "one messed up starter" is right. Mine seems mostly like a modifed "d" in your diagrams. If I had a lower compression motor I would probably rewire the starter, but with the HC head I think I will get Snyders reduction gear starter, less impact, more torque. And hey, I have been trying to decide on a Christmas present for myself anyway.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #5
Bob C

I have three starters with only three coils. They have two heavy coils 180° apart, an empty
shoe and 180° from that a lite shunt coil. The starters are for 59-62 Ford diesel tractors
so they are very high compression engines.

Bob

Last edited by Bob C; 12-17-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
PC/SR

Thanks BobC. That sounds exactly like what I have. No wonder it was knocking the ring gear off!!