Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #61
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Engine melt down

J&M I am retired, I am not a machinist . The thing is that I don't have to be a engine builder by trade to know that dry sleeves can't transfer heat to the water jacket the same as the original block. It can transfer heat but not exactly the same. I'm not saying and never have said that sleeving a cylinder will cause overheating, I'm just saying that it will increase the temp of the cylinder that is sleeved. I have no idea how much it will increase the heat, it can vary, maybe not much but it will increase to some degree. If all of the cylinders are sleeved it will increase more. I know that some feel that sleeving all of the cylinders back to standard is a good thing and feel that it will be like a new engine but it doesn't always work out that way. I wouldn't hesitate to sleeve a cylinder to save a numbers matching block or a block with usable babbit.

My comments about sleeves was not meant as a personal attack on anybody . Many if not most good profesional machinist that I know prefer a large overbore to a sleeved cylinder. Sometimes a sleeve is required to save a block. Your work looks good to me. Thats all that I care to say about this matter. Everybody is free to make their own choice as whether to sleeve or not to sleeve.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:07 PM   #62
ctvpa

Just a note to say that I have had J&M rebuild my tired old engine. They recently came in on their day off and sponsored 26 members of out Model A club. They have always donated to our events. They are very dedicated to all the antique car clubs. On our tour we saw an engine sent from Australia for them to restore. They are experts in a very modern shop, that have produced many award winning engines. Not just Model A, but Rolls Royce, Packard, Cord etc. Most important, they stay in communication with the customer, and stand behind the product.
For me, if they say it's true - it's true to me.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 11-24-2014, 10:09 PM   #63
Cob
Administrator

Fella's - plain and simple - when you guys start going after each other - the post gets closed.

Last edited by Cob; 11-24-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Closed Thread