Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-10-2015, 08:14 PM   #1
PC/SR

Default Rear Hub heads up

Am installing new Mel Gross brake drums all around. The rear drums were rubbing on the backing plate from hub/axle wear per prior threads, so decided to get new rear hubs from Snyders. The problem is that the new hubs do not fit inside the drums' center hole.
The inside diameter of the drum hole is 4.000. The step on the hub that fits into that hole is 4.012. That is too much to press into the drum. (Well, you could, but it would warp things.) The brake shop is going to turn the hubs down to fit.
I think the problem is the hub, because I used the old stock hubs on the new front drums which fit with no problem.
I do not know if this is a one off problem for me only, and I do not know the stock dimensions. It is easy enough to fix, but am passing it along FWIW if anyone else is having the same problem.
PS: This is not a knock on Snyders, which has always been good to me. I am sure they would make it right if I asked, which I have not because it is just quicker and easier to have the brake shop do the fix. It seems to be a manufacturing problem.

Last edited by PC/SR; 04-10-2015 at 08:24 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
modelAtony

Default Re: Rear Hub heads up

PC/SR. Thanks for the heads up on this. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Mikeinnj

You should notify Snyders to give them heads up of a possible problem in manufacturing.

Are you sure it is the fault of the hub and not the drum?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
Bill in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
... Are you sure it is the fault of the hub and not the drum?
Old hub fits - new hub doesn't. I would do as suggested Mikeinnj - contact Snyders. I would also tell Randy Gross about the problem. I have always found both Snyders and Randy very helpful. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Mel Gross

I would definitely like to know more about this fit issue. I have sold a lot of brake drums over the past 10 years and have not had a fit problem ever. I have taken apart, cleaned, pressed and machined hundreds of hubs to drums. I cracked 3 drums due to my error and not the product. We would be more then willing to pay the shipping cost from Santa Rosa to us and reverse and do the job for free just to see what is going on. We have always taken care of our fellow Model friends and will not stop this practice. Please either email me at [email protected] or call me at 714-292-8660 to discuss. Thanks Randy Gross
Mel Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:59 AM   #6
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
I would definitely like to know more about this fit issue. I have sold a lot of brake drums over the past 10 years and have not had a fit problem ever. I have taken apart, cleaned, pressed and machined hundreds of hubs to drums. I cracked 3 drums due to my error and not the product. We would be more then willing to pay the shipping cost from Santa Rosa to us and reverse and do the job for free just to see what is going on. We have always taken care of our fellow Model friends and will not stop this practice. Please either email me at [email protected]
om or call me at 714-292-8660 to discuss. Thanks Randy Gross
Wow, you can't beat customer service like that!
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 06:03 PM   #7
PC/SR

Update: Talked to both Randy Gross and Snyders. Both said they would do whatever necessary to solve the problem, but as said before, it is just quicker and easier to have the local brake shop fix things. They have to be turned and trued and arced anyway.
The brake shop pressed out one of the old hubs, and it fits fine into the new drum. So, it appears the new hub is slightly oversized.
I do not know the stock specs or tolerances for the hubs and drums and that would be a help if anyone has them.

Last edited by PC/SR; 04-13-2015 at 06:48 PM.
PC/SR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #8
modelAtony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Gross View Post
I would definitely like to know more about this fit issue. I have sold a lot of brake drums over the past 10 years and have not had a fit problem ever. I have taken apart, cleaned, pressed and machined hundreds of hubs to drums. I cracked 3 drums due to my error and not the product. We would be more then willing to pay the shipping cost from Santa Rosa to us and reverse and do the job for free just to see what is going on. We have always taken care of our fellow Model friends and will not stop this practice. Please either email me at [email protected] or call me at 714-292-8660 to discuss. Thanks Randy Gross
RANDY, YOUR DAD WOULD BE PROUD OF YOU. Have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette, LA
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote