Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2020, 11:57 AM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Finding TDC for leak-down test

You will find that when the pistons are at TDC and BDC, the crank will turn back and forth a bit easily, not so when not on TDC
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:32 PM   #22
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Years ago a lot of large stationary diesel engines use air for starting, using a special valve in the head and a special lobe on the cam shaft.
I think it's still common practice in a lot of applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-start_system
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:15 PM   #23
GPierce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Hi Jack,

I don’t know if a Model A engine will start making complete revolutions with compressed air piped into one cylinder, but when doing leak down tests on airplanes, an assistant has to hold the propeller for dear life as it tries to turn. If the piston moves off TDC it takes a lot of strength to hold the prop. If it gets too far down the stroke, it can’t be held in place.

I would think a piston not exactly at TDC will rapidly blow to the bottom of the stroke and catch the tester and assistant by surprise, sending a handheld starting crank or wrench flying, or a lurch forward or backward if in gear. Whether or not it will continue to make complete revolutions I just don’t know.

I could be wrong, but I’d be extra careful.

What do you think?
Put it on top dead center, high gear, parking brake on. Maybe block the wheels. It isn’t going anywhere.

There is nothing restraining an aircraft propellor. The car is restrained. If the airplane prop is on top dead center when you apply the air pressure it will not move.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #24
daren007

If the engine gets away i doubt it will travel to BDC. At most just surprise those doing the testing and possibly cause physical harm. If you have exact TDC nothing should happen. I have done this many times alone and was able to leave the engine to listen at the tail pipe, Crankcase breather and radiator without problems.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:58 PM   #25
Jack Shaft
BANNED

No matter how fast the piston speed is,it stops twice for each crankshaft revolution..food for thought.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 07:19 AM   #26
Patrick L.

TDC doesn't have to be perfect for this test. Close is good. Just make sure its on compression stroke. Put transmitter in gear, apply park brake. It only takes a little air pressure to perform this test. If the crank position is off a bit then the air pressure can certainly cause the crank to turn, reason for putting the trans in gear and applying the brake.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #27
daren007

The engine will not move very far. I know from experience.
Old 04-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #28
MikeK

I would like to disagree with much of the information that suggests a cylinder does not have to be exactly at TDC to perform a leak-down test.

First, there are A) leak-down tests and then there are B) so-called leak down tests and then C) just air pressure tests, often of a single cylinder, that some erroneously call 'leak down tests'.

Actual leak down tests were standardized for aircraft cylinder comparisons and evaluation with a 0.040" orifice and manifold and the entire assembly, including gauges, feed fittings and hoses is calibrated for a specific indicated flow rate drop. Those instruments are certified as to calibration and not chinese junk. Nice, but overkill for the casual user.

Now, in the case of this thread the O.P. is only looking for a valve leak so yes, a hose of shop air through a single cylinder not exactly at TDC may give you an audible hiss, but that is NOT a true leak down test. That would be like calling a farmer-fix with bailing wire a factory authorized and certified procedure.

OK, who cares and so what if I do either A,B, or C above not exactly at TDC?:

First, all used engines develop a ridge above the top ring position. Only at true TDC is the top ring tightly pressed against that ridge which may result in intermittent ring cocking and contact loss resulting in leakage not seen 1/16" down. A cracked top compression ring may only show excessive loss at this position. Also, only at true TDC can you detect any interference problems with piston/ gasket/ head that may cause a piston to tilt and break ring seal.

You only really need to do what you have to do to look for a specific fault, like a valve leak. But please do not refer to an un-metered pressurization of a single cylinder at any old position as a leak-down test. Call it what it is- a listen for some kinda hiss test. A true leak down test is quantitative, a hiss test qualitative at best.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #29
daren007

I have to agree. Having worked in Aviation for 50 years. On your A this is a good test for valve leakage. It can also verify blo-by and help find possible head gasket problems. Yes you can hear air in the radiator.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:26 AM   #30
alexiskai

I have an OTC 5609 cylinder leak tester, and the plan was to go to TDC and use regulated airflow to find out not only where the leak is but how severe. This will help me determine the cost/benefit for attempting a repair. As seen in another current thread, replacing valve guides is not easy and I don't have any local resources to help me out.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #31
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
I think it's still common practice in a lot of applications.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-start_system

This is an air powered starter motor. The large stationary engines mentioned put air pressure directly into the cylinders to get the engine rotating; no starter motor is used. A lot of youtube videos show this.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

Have not done a leak down myself, have questions.

Instead of listening in the radiator, can you just overfill the radiator and look for coolant bubbles? Other causes besides a bad head gasket?

If you hear hissing in the crank case, other causes than rings?

Instead of listening, can you seal the breather tube with the palm of your hand to see if there is pressure from the air hooked up to the spark plug hole?
Thanks.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 11:16 AM   #33
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU View Post
Have not done a leak down myself, have questions.

Instead of listening in the radiator, can you just overfill the radiator and look for coolant bubbles? Other causes besides a bad head gasket?

If you hear hissing in the crank case, other causes than rings?

Instead of listening, can you seal the breather tube with the palm of your hand to see if there is pressure from the air hooked up to the spark plug hole?
Thanks.
Just for context, are you asking these questions because there's something about your situation that would make hearing these sounds difficult?
Old 04-03-2020, 11:53 AM   #34
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Just for context, are you asking these questions because there's something about your situation that would make hearing these sounds difficult?
Asking for info only, do not have a problem,. Would like to try it sometime this year as educating myself. Just exploring the possibilities.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 12:25 PM   #35
daren007

You can fill the radiator if you want to deal with the mess. Do not hold your hand over the oil fill tube. You will force oil out the rear main. With experience you will be able to determine what is acceptable and what is not. The point is there is a lot of trouble shooting that you can do with a leak tester.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #36
Patrick L.

All that is needed for an 'A' engine is the 'hiss' test. Its still a leak test no matter how its looked at. You're looking to see/hear where the cylinder air is escaping and if its more than normal.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote