Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2020, 05:54 PM   #41
denis4x4

Default Re: Coronavirus vs "A" Drive

Solo drive as there is no A that will allow 6’ of separation. Love the comments, if they stay up, some of the guys from that other site might come back!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D94879C6-ABDD-4DF2-AB22-49E2C7AC2849.jpg (36.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-02-2020, 11:56 PM   #42
Penthode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
ps Jay jay, you mention upstate NY? why? the deaths are in NYC

so much MIS information! A lady yesterday told me there are over 2000 deaths in the US from this. not even close to true and she is a college professor.

would be nice if the truth was reported, rather then hysteria.
As of April 2, the US death count is now over 6000 increasing now in hundreds of deaths per day. The pandemic is still accelerating.

COVID 19 is extremely contagious with a mortality rate of about 1.5%. This means as it eventually spreads and engulfs a third of the population (approx 100M) 1.5 million in the U.S. will likely succumb and die in the next 18 months. The Spanish Flu pandemic a hundred years ago will provide a good lesson where an estimated 100 million died worldwide in an era before rapid travel.

I do not want to sound like Mr Gloom and Doom. But this is deadly serious. You should carefully read the guidelines how to avoid contacting the virus and ensure you keep your distance. The worst aspect of COVID 19 when you have contracted it, it may take a week or two to even show symptoms. In that time if you mingle with others, you will infect them. So please be responsible during this period and stay safe!
Penthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 AM   #43
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penthode View Post
As of April 2, the US death count is now over 6000 increasing now in hundreds of deaths per day. The pandemic is still accelerating.

COVID 19 is extremely contagious with a mortality rate of about 1.5%. This means as it eventually spreads and engulfs a third of the population (approx 100M) 1.5 million in the U.S. will likely succumb and die in the next 18 months. The Spanish Flu pandemic a hundred years ago will provide a good lesson where an estimated 100 million died worldwide in an era before rapid travel.

I do not want to sound like Mr Gloom and Doom. But this is deadly serious. You should carefully read the guidelines how to avoid contacting the virus and ensure you keep your distance. The worst aspect of COVID 19 when you have contracted it, it may take a week or two to even show symptoms. In that time if you mingle with others, you will infect them. So please be responsible during this period and stay safe!
Yep you get it.
My gut feeling is that you actually have the death rate about right as well Italy has 10% Spain pushing that as well China says 4% (not sure how accurate that is but one would think they would under report rather than over report) other places 4% - However these are mortality rates in people with clinical symptoms - there are a lot more unknown who are asymptomatic or only mildly so -which reduces the true death rate

I have seen no evidence that the virus is spread greater than 48 hours prior to symptoms (although some get no symptoms-So you advice re not mingling is still appropriate ) In fact the evidence I saw thought spread was low put possible even in the 48 hours before symptoms. Makes sense really as it is droplet spread you need droplets (cough or sneeze) to really spread it effectively .

Stay safe

Karl
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 AM   #44
old31

Pent, you said it well.

We all need to think doom and gloom and stop sugar coating this virus. Then maybe everyone, especially the young kids will treat it seriously.

My hat goes off to all the front line people who are helping us out with this "Chinese Virus".
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:47 PM   #45
Doug in NJ

Last Saturday we took a drive from NJ to Manhattan. Up Route 1 to the Holland Tunnel, then up to 79th St, over the Triboro Bridge to Astoria in Queens, back to Manhattan, down 5th Avenue to Greenwich Village, and back home, with a brief stop in Jersey City. About 115 miles in total.

I had only one issue: on 5th Ave., the car started stalling and backfiring, so I pulled over, took off the lower half of the carb, confirmed that fuel would flow out the needle, put the carb back together, and after that it was fine.

Driving in Manhattan is a piece of cake these days, especially compared to Route 1 through Elizabeth and Linden in NJ...

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manhattan.jpg (126.0 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-30-2020, 08:27 PM   #46
juanvaldez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Yep you get it.
My gut feeling is that you actually have the death rate about right as well Italy has 10% Spain pushing that as well China says 4% (not sure how accurate that is but one would think they would under report rather than over report) other places 4% - However these are mortality rates in people with clinical symptoms - there are a lot more unknown who are asymptomatic or only mildly so -which reduces the true death rate

I have seen no evidence that the virus is spread greater than 48 hours prior to symptoms (although some get no symptoms-So you advice re not mingling is still appropriate ) In fact the evidence I saw thought spread was low put possible even in the 48 hours before symptoms. Makes sense really as it is droplet spread you need droplets (cough or sneeze) to really spread it effectively .

Stay safe

Karl
If you look at the Diamond Princess and USS Roosevelt, only 15 - 20% will likely get it even under the worst condition. Half of those will never even know they have it. On the Diamond Princess the median age of passengers was 69 and of those who were infected.
juanvaldez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:50 AM   #47
Karl

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanvaldez View Post
If you look at the Diamond Princess and USS Roosevelt, only 15 - 20% will likely get it even under the worst condition. Half of those will never even know they have it. On the Diamond Princess the median age of passengers was 69 and of those who were infected.
The median age on those ships probably are influenced but the age of us that cruise as well. Believe me plenty of young people have contracted and died from this virus . Young Doctors I worked with who returned home to Europe have died.

Being a medical practitioner has been scary but my country ( Population 5 million) seems to have gained control of the virus (for now). We have had 1503 cases but no new cases for 10 days and currently have only 1 active case who is not in hospital. We have had 22 deaths with over half those being related to one dementia unit cluster.

We have some geographic advantages being an island nation . However our economy ( a large part of which is Tourism based) has taken a hit with lockdown and closure of our borders. However our politicians argue that the hit would have been more if the virus gained a hold here and was present for some time - The jury is out currently - Please stay safe -Karl