Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 PM   #1
41ford1

Default Stainless steel '36

Here is a real short article on Yahoo about the the Ford and Allegheny Steel '36 in stainless.
https://autos.yahoo.com/news/stainle...170002255.html

It is really shiny.

Forty1fordpickup on the HAMB.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: Stainless steel '36

That car was trailered to one of the V8 Club Meets a few years back. It had just been brought out of long term storage (a barn find if you will), ripe for restoration. I haven't seen it since except in pictures.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:44 AM   #3
Don Rogers

There were 6 of these Stainless 36 Fords made for Allegheny Ludlum and I believe that ALL STILL EXIST including one still owned by Allegheny Ludlum.

The correct finish on these vehicles should be a brushed stainless finish, not a high gloss. Just the skin on these vehicles is stainless. The floor pan, inner door panels, frame, etc is regular production run steel.

Here's a photo of an original car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (118.7 KB, 58 views)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
woodiewagon46

Last year they had the stainless steel Ford Thunderbird on display at the AACA Museum in Hershey, PA. I wasn't impressed with the quality of the build. The body lines weren't crisp and the fit was very poor.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #5
G.M.

Don are all 6 accounted for? I saw one when I was 17 in Ardmore Pa. It was there every morning on my way to work. It was just West of the Autocar truck plant. In a high class apartment complex. A guy named Boots Guyer over near Miami about 28 years ago told me his father scraped old cars when he was a kid and they had a 36 sedan they couldn't cut with a torch and had to chop it up with an axe??? G.M.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:16 AM   #6
Don Rogers

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
G.M. I may have misspoken about there still being (6) 36's left. I believe the count is (4)
Don Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 08:21 AM   #7
Uncle Bob

Family portrait:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg al lud stainless cars.jpg (68.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 04-16-2014, 10:34 AM   #8
FL&WVMIKE

Back, when I lived in West Virginia, there was a fellow who had to do some body work on one of the '36 stainless fords, back in the day. He said it was a nightmare !
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:56 AM   #9
19Fordy

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.M. View Post
Don are all 6 accounted for? I saw one when I was 17 in Ardmore Pa. It was there every morning on my way to work. It was just West of the Autocar truck plant. In a high class apartment complex. A guy named Boots Guyer over near Miami about 28 years ago told me his father scraped old cars when he was a kid and they had a 36 sedan they couldn't cut with a torch and had to chop it up with an axe??? G.M.
Many years ago I visited Boots (RIP) at his house in Davie, FL. It was "wall to wall" with old Ford parts. I remember he told that same story about how he once chopped up a stainless 36 Ford along with the story that at a local AACA show a fellow offered him a low ball price on a perfect stock 36 Ford grille he was selling. the potential buyer really wanted the grille, but not at Boot's price. After dickering with the guy, Boots was so insulted that he literally stomped on the grille , destroying it right in front of the customer.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 04-16-2014 at 12:39 PM.
19Fordy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #10
G.M.

If he's still around maybe someone could get better details and maybe get it recorded with the EFV8 club. This would narrow it down to 5 SS 36's still around. G.M.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #11
Kerk

At the first National meet in Dearborn I think there were 3 there! 1973 kc
Kerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:50 AM   #12
Bob/Pa

There is one on display at the History Mueseum in Pittsburgh, Pa. Been there for years.
Bob/Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #13
JM 35 Sedan

There was an original unrestored one trailered to the 2008 EFV-8 Club GNM in Dearborn, MI. There was another restored one at the Museum in Saratoga Springs, NY during the 2011 EFV-8 Club ENM.
On our way home from the 2013 GNM in Lake Tahoe, we stopped to see a car collection and saw the one that had been at the Dearborn GNM, but it had since been fully restored. It was so highly polished that it almost looked like it had been chrome plated. I'll try to post some pics of that one later.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 10:54 AM   #14
whizzernick

My two boys and I went to the first early Ford V8 meet in 1973. I had sold a 1940 Ford convertible and was delivering it to Anderson Indiana. I then bought a 1934 Ford phaeton. I then drove the 34 to Dearborn and the 73 meet. The trip was quite interesting as I had very little money. My two boys Rick and Alan 12 and 8 had never been on a long trip. We slept in the car most of the trip. The 40 did okay but the generator went out some place in the state before Indiana. A local V8.er gave me a good generator and help me install it. The condenser also went out in Colorado. But we made it. We stayed at the Dearborn in and one of the rear replica buildings. I don't think there is there any more. One of my friends, Bob Rushing. Got to drive the 36 Ford on a tour to Canada. I remember him saying that the steel in the car floorboards etc. was rusty. They had three cars on display I believe a T bird and a Lincoln the other stainless steel Ford's. It was one of the best meets I ever went to. I tried to sell they 34 Ford but was unsuccessful. We drove it almost all the way home. Motor lost a rod in Wyoming. Got it home installed a new engine sold it to a guy in New York. This 34 started out in Sacramento California. Went to Anderson . Then to Dearborn and to Hayward California. Then back to New York. Like to know where that car is now?
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote