Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2015, 05:26 AM   #1
BILL WZOREK

Default Need a picture PLEASE

Need a Picture of a 33 verses a 34 driver side door for a 5 window coupe.
Is there any difference between a 3 window & 5 window driver side door ?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:37 AM   #2
mercman from oz

Default Re: Need a picture PLEASE

According to The 1933/34 Book, published by The Early Ford V8 Club of America, the "door opening" on a three Window Coupe is 38 13/64 inches, while on a Five window Coupe, it is 30 inches. I don't know where this measurement is taken from, but it is obvious that the door on the Three Window Coupe is much longer than on the Five Window Coupe. Also, the back part of the door that frames the window slants forward on the Three Window Coupe, while it is vertical on the Five Window Coupe. Hope that this info helps. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures, as neither body style was ever sold in Australia.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
mercman from oz

The above 2 pictures show the difference between a 1933 Ford and 1934 Ford.
In the first picture, the light tan car, is of a 1933 Ford. Compare it to the dark brown car, which is a 1934 Ford, bottom photo. On the 1934 Ford, you will see a recessed flat panel about an inch wide. The Window Glass is shorter front to back on the 1934 Fords, as compared to the 1933 Fords. That is because on the 1934 Fords, once the window is wound to the top, if you continue winding, it moves back to create an opening at the front for ventilation. That recessed flat panel at the rear of the window opening compensates for the shorter window glass.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:54 AM   #4
Terry,OH

The 33 doors do not have windows that roll rearward like 34, and then downward. The 33 door window opening at the rear does not have the metal filler to cover the void left by the glass moving fore and aft as a 34 would. This metal filler is about 1" wide and runs from the top to the bottom of the window opening, it is part of the door. I believe the 33-34 restoration book shows this filler.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 06:02 AM   #5
mercman from oz

I have added Arrows to this picture, to highlight that extra flat panel that I mentioned in my earlier Post that is unique to the 34 Fords.
Old 06-03-2015, 06:43 AM   #6
51 MERC-CT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercman from oz View Post

I have added Arrows to this picture, to highlight that extra flat panel that I mentioned in my earlier Post that is unique to the 34 Fords.
Picture doesn't show, maybe this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33_34.jpg (64.2 KB, 55 views)
Old 06-03-2015, 07:02 AM   #7
Mart

The 33/34 differences are addressed above. The 3 window and 5 window doors are quite different.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #8
BILL WZOREK

This is good guys , can a 33 door be put on a 34 and the other way around / Direct fit ?
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 08:12 AM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The doors (33 vs 34) will interchange. You can also use a 4dr door on a 5w coupe with some modifications. The upper hinge on a 4dr is in a different location and the profile along the roof line slightly different. There is also a difference in the location of the inside door handle. Early 33s have the handle midway in the door. Not sure when they changed, but later doors have the handle at the front of the door. 3w door are different is size and shape. The change to the window operation and additional metal added to the rear edge has already been commented on.

The photos shown in #3 appear to be sedan doors based on the hinges. I posted on the hinge difference several months ago and received flack about having "bent/damaged" hinges! LOL You might notice that the photos in #3 also have the "bent/damaged" hinges as do all sedans because that is the way they left the factory!!!

The sedan uses a different hinge style than the coupe. On the sedan (as the photos in #3 show) the part of the hinge attached to the door frame bends forward toward the end and the door part is relatively straight. On the coupe, the door frame side of the hinge is almost straight and the door side curves back.

The first three attached photos below are sedan hinges the last four are 5w coupe hinges. The differences are very obvious. I was surprised no one seemed to know that the hinges were different between the body styles and wanted in insist that any differences were the result of damage!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4dr hinge 6.jpg (21.6 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 4dr hinge three.jpg (32.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 4dr hinge two.jpg (22.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 5w Coupe Hinge 2.jpg (43.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 5w Coupe Hinge 4.jpg (26.4 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 5w Coupe Hinge.jpg (47.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 5w Coupe hinge open.jpg (22.5 KB, 18 views)
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:50 AM   #10
V8COOPMAN

'34 3-window door below!

.......and a '33 5-window below! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 01:59 PM   #11
David J

Bills question has been answered so I will address post 9 .

"Early 33's have the handle in the middle " ????? Really !!! Here I thought it was later 34's that had that .

On the hinge thing first pic is your 5w rh lower and pic 2 and 3 are my 5w rh lower . As you can see a straight one fits a little better .

Pic's 4 and 5 are from your post in the old thread and if you look at the lower hinge from the HAMB you will see a straight one Yours is bent up as was pointed out by DavidG .
" Straight " is referencing the flat bar part of the hinge . The curled ends can get bent out of whack also but it is the bar that suffers most .

Also as was pointed out in the old thread hinges are pretty much for a specific model and do not interchange so why are we all idiots ?

Personally couldn't care less who wants to be the big banana here but at least get your facts straight first .

Link is to the thread in question .

David J

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154393
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JSEERY5WLOWERHINGEBENT.jpg (47.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg MYLOWERRHHINGESTRAIGHT2.jpg (69.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg MYRHLOWERHINGESTRAIGHT.jpg (47.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg JSEERY4DHINGEBENT.jpg (3.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg JSEERY4DHINGESTRAIGHT.jpg (32.3 KB, 8 views)
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David J View Post
Bills question has been answered so I will address post 9 .

"Early 33's have the handle in the middle " ????? Really !!! Here I thought it was later 34's that had that .

On the hinge thing first pic is your 5w rh lower and pic 2 and 3 are my 5w rh lower . As you can see a straight one fits a little better .

Pic's 4 and 5 are from your post in the old thread and if you look at the lower hinge from the HAMB you will see a straight one Yours is bent up as was pointed out by DavidG .
" Straight " is referencing the flat bar part of the hinge . The curled ends can get bent out of whack also but it is the bar that suffers most .

Also as was pointed out in the old thread hinges are pretty much for a specific model and do not interchange so why are we all idiots ?

Personally couldn't care less who wants to be the big banana here but at least get your facts straight first .

Link is to the thread in question .

David J

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154393
Very strange reply. Not sure what the big banana and idiot comments are about? It is my understanding that the center handle is 33 and the front handle is 34, but the some late 33s have the front handle. If that is not correct then I would be more than happy to be corrected. I will go check my doors and see if I have that mixed up!

The hinge you are refer to is not bent, it is a detached door with the door frame still attached. The door frame is partly open and the photo angle makes it look a little strange. It was not a good photo to post in the first place.

Edit: Just checked a couple of 34 doors (doors with the extra metal alone the back side to allow the window to move back) and one has the center handle.

Last edited by JSeery; 06-03-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Yep, one of those days! I have the interior door handle placement backwards. The 33s are at the front. This is a 33 5w.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 33 5-window Coupe Door.jpg (74.6 KB, 21 views)
Old 06-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #14
deuce_roadster

I think some confusion comes from some early 34s having the front latch like a 33. The bulk of the 34s were in the middle.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #15
David J

Answer to first part = read your own post 9 .
Answer to second part yes it is indeed bent up . Notice how close the bars are together on the straight one and they are parallel . Notice yours are almost parallel and are far apart . Yours will hit on the inboard end long before they get as close together as the straight one . FWIW this is eons old info on dealing with flung open doors on 33-34 cars .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
Very strange reply. Not sure what the big banana and idiot comments are about?

The hinge you are refer to is not bent, it is a detached door with the door frame still attached. The door frame is partly open and the photo angle makes it look a little strange. It was not a good photo to post in the first place.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:12 PM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have attempted to explain why the photo looks that way several time, so ok, I give up, it's a bent hinge. That has nothing to do with what I was refer to. The sedan hinge (door frame side) has a fairly pronounce forward curve near the hinge pin while the coupe hinge is straight in this area. Sorry for posting a photo that confuses the issue! The original question for me was I have heard of people claiming to modify the sedan hinge to work on coupe door frames, but I don't see any good why to go about that. You can modify almost anything into almost anything with enough effort, but this doesn't look to me like a simple or desirable modification. So my conclsion is a coupe door requires coupe hinges.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:32 PM   #17
David J

Seems we are not communicating worth a crap here . Yes hinges are different coupe-sedan . Actually as already posted hinges are pretty much body specific . I understand your explanation of the " bent " hinge but it seems you are not understanding my point . When the door is shut the bars should be close together and parallel on the 4d front lower . This is shown clearly with the HAMB supplied photo . Your hinge will not close to the point that the bars are that tight and parallel . Try it and you will see . The lower 5w hinge is way different and the bars are of course parallel but are not so close together [ door shut ] of course .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
I have attempted to explain why the photo looks that way several time, so ok, I give up, it's a bent hinge. That has nothing to do with what I was refer to. The sedan hinge (door frame side) has a fairly pronounce forward curve near the hinge pin while the coupe hinge is straight in this area. Sorry for posting a photo that confuses the issue! The original question for me was I have heard of people claiming to modify the sedan hinge to work on coupe door frames, but I don't see any good why to go about that. You can modify almost anything into almost anything with enough effort, but this doesn't look to me like a simple or desirable modification. So my conclsion is a coupe door requires coupe hinges.
Old 06-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

You are correct we are not communicating. I agree 100%. The door in question is not on a car, it is a door off of a 4dr that was removed by cutting the door frame out of the car. The door frame is still attached to the door and partly open. That is why it is not parallel in the photo. This set of hinges is worthless and will never be used. Have worked on cars and body work for over 40 years, I understand bent hinges and door alignment. I am very aware that that hinge will not work and I have no interest in attempting to make it work. As I stated it was a very poor photo to post. We are talking apple and oranges for sure. I am sure you are likewise very knowledgeable in these areas, and due to my age and memory I tend to make my share of mistakes (and then some). So hopefully we can put this to bed. Yes, the hinge needs to be parallel to function and yes almost all of these doors/hinges have some degree of damage because of the front opening among other things, no disagreement at all.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #19
fordscript

Heres a pic of my early production 34 5-w coupe. A low mileage original car that had 33 hubcaps, headlights, and bumpers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_1191.jpg (49.7 KB, 20 views)
fordscript is offline   Reply With Quote