Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-23-2016, 04:02 PM   #1
Shoebox

Default Dist-fanbelt clearance

I have been trying to eyeball this out in the shop, but short of actually pulling parts, I can't tell......... in 39 Merc, if I were to change to a distributor like a Chev conversion from Bubba, will I clear the fanbelt??

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #2
rotorwrench

Default Re: Dist-fanbelt clearance

It depends on how far the distributor protrudes up from the timing cover. Some are long enough that the early type pumps & belts will clear. The 8BA types had the longer water pump on the right to clear the short OEM distributor. The long pump set up has a harder time fitting in some of the early Ford products. The Mercury set up might have more room than the Ford car did but I don't know for sure. If it is an early motor, the cam would have to be changed to work with the late type 8BA timing cover & drive but it is doable.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #3
flatjack9

You probably would need the 8RT truck pumps. You would also have to move the lower pulley to align with the new pumps. There is an aftermarket gear that bolts to your cam to drive the later distributor. It is doable. The thrust direction is different, but I don't think that would cause a problem.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #4
scooder

Have a word with Ol' Ron. Ha has used a converted chevy ignition and early pumps, if I recall correctly, he keeps the ignition full length (rather than the normal shortening, and spaces the generator just enough forward so the belt clears the ignition.
So it can be done.
Martin.
scooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:40 PM   #5
Shoebox

Thanks Rotor, Flat, Scooder,
For the responses. I want to take this engine (with appropriate crank and pistons) out to 276 and run a NOS 8CM cam I have, and use a distributor setup that has mechanical and vacuum advance, HOWEVER I want to keep it reasonably original in appearance. So changing water pumps, messing with lower pulley and generator placement,...... not so sure. The engine is currently running great with a Bubba redone original helmet distributor, but should I not use a distributor more tuneable with the larger engine? Perhaps a later crab distributor at least? Just looking for more opinions, suggestions..

Thanks guys!

51 Ford Deluxe Tudor
32 Ford roadster
39 Mercury Towncar
Shoebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:08 PM   #6
flatjack9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
For the responses. I want to take this engine (with appropriate crank and pistons) out to 276 and run a NOS 8CM cam I have, and use a distributor setup that has mechanical and vacuum advance, HOWEVER I want to keep it reasonably original in appearance. So changing water pumps, messing with lower pulley and generator placement,...... not so sure. The engine is currently running great with a Bubba redone original helmet distributor, but should I not use a distributor more tuneable with the larger engine? Perhaps a later crab distributor at least? Just looking for more opinions, suggestions..

Thanks guys!
I run a crab on my 39 with a 276.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:53 PM   #7
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post

Thanks guys!
Lets keep the helmet. We can make the helmet do as good as the chevy and keep the cool look.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote