Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2019, 05:20 PM   #1
bobsmanstuff

Default rear drum

I finally got the rear wheel off my 1930 pickup. The threads were reverse and now I'm going to swap it out for right hand threads. How hard is it to get the rear drum off? I would imagine it might be rusty. Who knows how long ago it was put on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bob
bobsmanstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:59 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: rear drum

I'm assuming you want to take the drum of the hub. If so, you'll need to cut the swage away from around the old studs. There are cutters to do that. I've even used a hole cutter bought from the local hardware store.
I further assume the drum you have is made of steel, not cast iron. If that is so, I'd check its condition and be prepared to buy a pair of new cast iron ones and new studs made for cast drums (the parrallel shanks on them are longer than for steel drums).
Don't just press or drive the old studs out without cutting away the swage - that will ruin the hubs.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
marty in Ohio

Bob,
I read your original post a few days ago and wondered what the outcome would be. Glad to hear that you got your wheel off. I friend of mine is working on a '41 Plymouth and ran into the same problem with left handed threads. I saw him bear down on the lugs one afternoon and it dawned on me that our family had a Desoto in the 50's with those threads. Righty loosy, lefty tighty. Go figure. My question is, does the front wheel have the same threads?
You will probably need to use a puller to get the drum off. They can be found at all the suppliers, or if you are in a Model A club, some member will certainly have one that you can borrow. Good Luck.
Marty
marty in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 06:56 PM   #4
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmanstuff View Post
I finally got the rear wheel off my 1930 pickup. The threads were reverse and now I'm going to swap it out for right hand threads. How hard is it to get the rear drum off? I would imagine it might be rusty. Who knows how long ago it was put on. Any ideas would be appreciated. Bob
Be sure to get a proper puller for the rear hub or you will risk ruining the axle. The reproduction KR Wilson one is what you should get. Van Pelt rents them: http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/f...ls_forsale.htm When you remove the drum from the hub have someone with a 20+ ton press that knows what they are doing. If you buy new be sure to buy them as an assembly.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
bobsmanstuff

Thanks for the information guys.
bobsmanstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A local club might have a puller you could borrow??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #7
katy

https://www.amazon.com/OTC-7394-Univ...ateway&sr=8-12
Old 03-02-2019, 01:14 PM   #8
Joe K

The Amazon entry is nice because it is "universal - but may have the downside of bending the wheel hub flange.

Better are those in the KRW vein which grab the "groove" or "shoulder" (depending on the design of your A hub) and pull "centrally."

The original KRW puller is probably best as it will do both. These are reproduced - but not as good a buy.

Snyders is selling groove or shoulder variants for relatively small money. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/economy-hub-puller

Heh. Here I am "one-upping" a flange mounted puller. Even KRW made a variant to do based on the lug nuts.

Probably least desirable are the "knock off" hub pullers. If used, one has to be sure the axle threads are VERY clean and burr free, and the Uber Nut is tightened all the way as far as it will go.

Hey, whatever works.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-02-2019 at 01:19 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:56 PM   #9
JRrev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe K View Post
The Amazon entry is nice because it is "universal - but may have the downside of bending the wheel hub flange.

Better are those in the KRW vein which grab the "groove" or "shoulder" (depending on the design of your A hub) and pull "centrally."

The original KRW puller is probably best as it will do both. These are reproduced - but not as good a buy.

Snyders is selling groove or shoulder variants for relatively small money. https://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/economy-hub-puller

Heh. Here I am "one-upping" a flange mounted puller. Even KRW made a variant to do based on the lug nuts.

Probably least desirable are the "knock off" hub pullers. If used, one has to be sure the axle threads are VERY clean and burr free, and the Uber Nut is tightened all the way as far as it will go.

Hey, whatever works.

Joe K
Ditto, have seen them distorted more than once.
JRrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #10
Beater

this one came out of an old ford dealership it works well. bit more cumbersome but if you cant get it off with this one you have real probs.

Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #11
katy

Beater, did you make it to the Lethbridge swap meet? You're probably a lot closer than I am.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #12
Beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Beater, did you make it to the Lethbridge swap meet? You're probably a lot closer than I am.
I did not this year. the weather was just to crappy for me
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote