Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #1
Glenn of northport

Default Getting a car out of canada

Does anyone transport cars out of Canada I am buying one but not sure how to get it home to michlgan
Glenn of northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 12:29 PM   #2
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Getting a car out of canada

Wait until Spring

Have Seller deliver to the US side

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
Habusailor

Default Re: Getting a car out of canada

Go to DMV in Michigan and see what they require for licensing. I brought one from Alberta to Montana last summer, all I needed at the border was a bill of sale. I didn’t even have current registration or a title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
Habusailor

PM me if you want to visit about my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Habusailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #5
jwaldrich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn of northport View Post
Does anyone transport cars out of Canada I am buying one but not sure how to get it home to michlgan
I just bought a car from a man in Canada and transported it myself. The border patrol will need to see the car, bill of sale, and the Canadian version of a title (different than ours). They will need to see that the car serial number on the paperwork matches the serial number physically on the car. This could be a problem with a Model T since they didn't have serial numbers until late in production.

I bought a 1940 Cadillac LaSalle and it took me two tries to cross the border because of this learning curve but I got it done.

jwaldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:31 PM   #6
gz

Cars are brought into the US from Canada all of the time. Done properly, it is quite easy and should be an uneventful experience. If the car was originally built in the USA, it is even easier.

There are a couple of ways you can do it:

-Go over and bring it over yourself. Jwaldrich's account on the above post is typical of the experience you will encounter. Yes, sometimes there are hickups, but most time this goes smoothly.

-Have a professional custom's broker do the paper work for you. It costs about 300.00 to 600.00 depending on who you use, but it will assure that there are no problems going across the border and/or when you go to register the car in the USA.

-Hire a transport company that does over the border transport professionally. They will pick up the car at the seller's house, handle the paperwork and bring it into your state, which I am assuming is Michigan.
Reliable Carriers nows offers this service. They can deliver it door to door or just bring it to their facility near Detroit (Canton) and you can arrange transport from there. PM me if you want a contact name/number at Reliable that specifically handles Canadian/US transactions.
Another company is Thorsons, they are Canadian based, but bring cars across the border into the Detroit area.

I have used both Reliable and Thorsons for this service before. Not necessarily cheap, but effortless, painless and reliable on all accounts.

If the car was built in the USA and is 25 years old or older, there are no import taxes or duties.

Beware of non-professional shipping companies. People have been taken when they have used non-reputable or inexperienced company's to do this. Bringing a car across the border is a legal transaction and needs to be done properly by people that are licensed to do this.

Yes, the seller can bring it over for you, but the paperwork still needs to be in your name and filled out by you, since you are importing the car. I recently had a seller agree to bring the car over but I used a custom broker to handle the paperwork. That worked out real easy.

You will need to file your driver's license (or passport) and your Social Security Number will be required whether you do the transport yourself, hire a customs broker and/or shipping company to do this for you.Even if the seller brings it over for you, this will be needed in order to legally process the paperwork.

Whatever way you choose, it is a easy process as long as you follow the rules and do it right.

Last edited by gz; 01-09-2019 at 06:40 PM.
gz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #7
Glenn of northport

Thanks all you have solved my problem Glenn of northport
Glenn of northport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 01:25 PM   #8
jwaldrich

[QUOTE=Habusailor;1713870]Go to DMV in Michigan and see what they require for licensing. I brought one from Alberta to Montana last summer, all I needed at the border was a bill of sale. I didn’t even have current registration or a title.

It was the same for me when I bought a 1940 LaSalle in BC and brought it across the border. They wanted to see the serial number listed on the bill of sale as well as the car itself. With the 1940 I also had BC's version of a title/registration which also showed the serial number.

Probably won't have one of those on a T.

jwaldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
james32xx

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
Wait until Spring

Have Seller deliver to the US side

Jim
Good advice to wait until spring. My opinion it's the best solution to ship cars in Canada
james32xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #10
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: Getting a car out of canada

Just made a contact yesterday who lives in North Dakota
right on the Canadian Border.

He routinely goes in and out of Canada with cars but you
must have your car handled in the way that he recommends.

Call Rich @ 605-496-4500

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote