Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #41
Duckfarmer27

Default Re: This Week's Barn Find

Continued
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2117.jpg (63.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2118.jpg (49.3 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2119.jpg (77.4 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2120.jpg (51.0 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2121.jpg (80.3 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2122.jpg (51.5 KB, 49 views)
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:45 AM   #42
john charlton

Hi Duckfarmer. Very pleased you will clean out the motor ,my post was mainly aimed at someone less informed trying to start a barnfind . As you have a 30 CCPU you have to be a cool dude just like me !!! .I have one in UK and one shared with my son in sunny Chandler AZ (snowbird trailer trash !!!) . It did surprise me that mine was the only response that suggested an engine clean out . Maybe this is not so generally known as I thought .Maybe I ought to do a post "Attention all Newbies about to start Granddads barnfind etc etc " Just a thought, or direct them to the You Tube clip .

John in sunny no eclipse here Suffolk County England.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:50 AM   #43
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post

Runnerbun - Guess I'll have to find a 'can' (container) and send it your way with your generous offer! I've always wanted to make a trip to Oz but my wife thinks the flight would be too long. And she does not know what a long flight is, never having been 'dumb cargo' for the US Air Force like I have been.

Dale
Dale, For your wife's benefit I have been to the US 3 or 4 times and it is no further for you to come here than for us to go there!! The trip is not so long if you take a break on the way and get to see other stuff whilst doing so. I'm positive you would be made welcome.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 AM   #44
Terry, NJ

Good morning John, As a pilot with an interest in how things work (or don't work), it was well known around the field that the plane power plants were susceptable to a lot of moisture intrusion. Only slightly more than an engine tucked away in a barn/shed. Let the 15, 20, 30 year old oil completely drain, drip, or dry itself off the cam lobes, valves, cyl walls etc. Our solution was to start it and run it for a few minutes to scrape it off, then shut it down and drain it out. Put some cheap oil in afterward and run it for a few hours and drain it out and replace it. This rust will definitely take miles off the engine's life. With aircraft, it's all about in flight failures. The 20-50 oil helps as does STP which coats the parts with a film that cannot be completely removed except by grinding. Would it last 30 years? Who knows! Again, John Thanks for keeping the subject alive.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by john charlton View Post
Hi Duckfarmer. Very pleased you will clean out the motor ,my post was mainly aimed at someone less informed trying to start a barnfind . As you have a 30 CCPU you have to be a cool dude just like me !!! .I have one in UK and one shared with my son in sunny Chandler AZ (snowbird trailer trash !!!) . It did surprise me that mine was the only response that suggested an engine clean out . Maybe this is not so generally known as I thought .Maybe I ought to do a post "Attention all Newbies about to start Granddads barnfind etc etc " Just a thought, or direct them to the You Tube clip .

John in sunny no eclipse here Suffolk County England.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #45
Jeff/Illinois

Dale, that is a great find, nice car

Don't throw any nuts or bolts or washers away be sure to keep them, clean them up, and re-use them.

https://fordbarn.com/forum/showthrea...ware&showall=1
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 09:37 AM   #46
Duckfarmer27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Dale, For your wife's benefit I have been to the US 3 or 4 times and it is no further for you to come here than for us to go there!! The trip is not so long if you take a break on the way and get to see other stuff whilst doing so. I'm positive you would be made welcome.
Synchro -
I know we would have a great time in Australia. One of my wife's brothers (she had 7) had a ton of frequent flier miles back in the 80s. So he, his wife and two kids took a month and drove around Australia and had a ball. And know others who have spent time there and in one case married an Aussie and stayed.

Dale
Duckfarmer27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:19 PM   #47
bobusnick104

Great find! I would have bid on it if I were at an auction. The toy box is almost full, but can always make room for another. Personally,I would leave it like it is and drive it for a while. Have you all seen some of the cars at cruises lately? It would fit right in, minus the mouse smell, of course.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #48
glenn in camino

Nice car. If it runs good, leave it as is, and drive it until it needs work.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 10:20 PM   #49
fordcragar

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn in camino View Post
Nice car. If it runs good, leave it as is, and drive it until it needs work.
It is a nice car and this is what I'd do as well.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:38 PM   #50
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfarmer27 View Post
Synchro -
I know we would have a great time in Australia. One of my wife's brothers (she had 7) had a ton of frequent flier miles back in the 80s. So he, his wife and two kids took a month and drove around Australia and had a ball. And know others who have spent time there and in one case married an Aussie and stayed.

Dale
PM sent