Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-14-2017, 11:23 AM   #1
ricklove

Default Temp Heat in Garage

Can't afford to put natural gas in my 26 x 30 garage yet, so looking for alternatives. Any recommendations for fairly economical and efficient propane heaters for limited use? Thanks!!
ricklove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 AM   #2
Seth Swoboda

Default Re: Temp Heat in Garage

This probably won't help you but I heat my house and my shop (a separate building) with an outdoor wood boiler. The initial install and purchase cost was around $8k. The boiler has a 400,000 btu capacity. It's oversized for my 1800 square foot house and 1500 sq foot shop space I heat but I have the ability for expansion without replacing equipment. I also live in a rural area where smoke is not an issue and I have an abundant supply of wood. I keep my shop at 60 degrees all winter.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:32 AM   #3
Scotty's 52 F3

What about one of those jet heaters?
Scotty's 52 F3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #4
wga

Rick - I use a propane tank with a heater https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...60DG/203534107

I have it mounted to a small hand truck, and move it around to where I am working.
Surprised at how well it heats and economically as well. I use the propane tank that
is about twice as large as the one shown in the photo.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
D. Jones

I bought a "Mr. Heater Big Max" from Northern Tool for my garage last year and like it. As I recall it was less than $500.00 for the heater the vent pipe was $160.00 or so locally. Mine is on Natural Gas but I THINK they can be converted.

What ever heater you decide on I'd recommend that you buy a vented unit as the by products of combustion of propane are H2O and CO2 which will put a lot of water vapor into your garage plus there is always the chance of CO/carbon monoxide with an unvented unit.
D. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM   #6
chap52

Go on You Tube, several options for heating a garage. As Scotty said the propane jet heater seem to be the #1 choice.
In Indiana I had a 240 volt overhead mounted electric heater and with the insulated walls and ceiling in my 2 1/2 car garage. Kept it real "toasty"
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
oldford2

I have a pellet stove in my 16 by 28 shop. Fully insulated. On days I won't be in the shop I start it in the morning and shut it off about 6 hours later. When I am working out there I leave it on until I am done. Plenty warm for working. Depends on the outside temperature. Right now it is 18 degrees (f) and very windy. The stove will struggle to keep it in the low 50''s. Running it 8 hours takes less than 1/2 bag ($5/bag)
I am very happy with it.
John
oldford2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #8
richard crow

be careful with any flame heater to be safe it must be mounted high & vented.
richard crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
RalphM

I run a forced air furnace all winter long, it works very well and is not too bad on cost.
I keep it at 55 degrees unless I’m painting or something. You can get a vertical one that takes up little space and These units can be bought used for a reasonable price.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:55 AM   #10
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricklove View Post
Can't afford to put natural gas in my 26 x 30 garage yet, so looking for alternatives. Any recommendations for fairly economical and efficient propane heaters for limited use? Thanks!!
It's cold today 25 degrees in PA. I step out to work on something for 5 or 10 minuets at a time then come back in the house.

Maybe a cheapo Kerosene heater would work

Last edited by FrankWest; 12-14-2017 at 12:24 PM.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #11
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by wga View Post
Rick - I use a propane tank with a heater https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...60DG/203534107

I have it mounted to a small hand truck, and move it around to where I am working.
Surprised at how well it heats and economically as well. I use the propane tank that
is about twice as large as the one shown in the photo.
This is kinda what I was thinking. Just finished my garage in June; have electric but no gas yet. I'm planning on putting natural gas next year, but looking for a cheap alternative in the meantime. Many thanks to all for the input.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:12 PM   #12
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

I got s ventless stove at Tractor Supply and use a propane bottle until I laid a gas line to the garage.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have an oversized propane heater that hangs from the ceiling. I keep the thermostat set at 45 deg. Turn it up when I working, take less that 15 min to be up to temp I want.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:19 PM   #14
Old Redneck

Send a message via AIM to Old Redneck Send a message via Yahoo to Old Redneck

After I got Natural gas I switch the ventless stove to natural gas does a super job.
Old Redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:24 PM   #15
nelsb01

I used one of those jet kerosene heaters for years (until upgrading to a natural gas Hot Dawg). I was worried about CO2, but plugged in one of those CO2 detectors and it never went off...................
Of course what they said about anything flammable being close by is true.
nelsb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
tubman

I have a ventless 35,000 BTU wall mounted propane heater in my shop, which is 30 X 40 with 14 ft ceilings and is insulated. I installed it because I wanted something cheap and easy to keep the chill off in the fall and spring. I am in north central Minnesota, but I usually winter in Florida, so I don't need anything very robust for the winter. This winter, courtesy of Hurricane Irma, I am stuck in Minnesota, so I have been using my heater almost daily. I am amazed at how well it works. I usually go to town in the morning to get the mail and stop by my shop (which is 3 miles from my home) on the way back and start the heater. I then return home, do whatever needs to be done, and go back up to my shop. By that time, the temperature is around 60 degrees, which is plenty comfortable if you're working. After it gets to 63 or so, it shuts itself off (it is thermostatically controlled) and cycles from then on. I have two 20 lb propane bottles connected together by a hose gizmo I got off Amazon. I go to the shop 5-or 6 days a week for 4 to 5 hours at a time. With this pattern of use, the 40 lbs of propane lasts about two weeks. The last two 20 pounders cost me $36.05 to fill. I also have a large ceiling fan that is on all the time, blowing downwards. All in all, I am extremely happy with this setup. I have had no problems with excess moisture or smells. I do have a quality carbon monoxide and gas detector installed. I highly recommend this kind of heater, especially to someone looking for something temporary. When you decide to go to something permanent, you will probably be able to sell a unit like this for almost what you paid for it.

There is one other factor that comes into play. My shop is in a storage complex and as such, is not free-standing. The unit on my right is not heated during the winter, but the one on my left is owned by a friend who keeps it at 45 degrees. I'm sure this makes heating my unit easier, how much I don't know, because the common walls are also insulated.

Here is a link to the type of heater I have. I couldn't find my exact unit (which is 35,000 BTU and black), but this is close. BTW, these units can be switched from propane to natural gas with a turn of a valve with no extra parts needed.

https://www.menards.com/main/heating...277994&ipos=19
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #17
38bill

Just watch it as most fire codes are pretty strict in regards to garages, gasoline and heat/flames. When I built my shop my insurance company wouldn't let me install any wood burning furnace or stove. You surly don't want to have your insurance company deny a claim for a totaled shop and car because of code violations.

In my shop I was able to install a high efficiency LP furnace just off the floor as it has a sealed combustion chamber and draws outside air for combustion. At the time, here in MN a regular furnace (or any source of flames) would have to be a minimum of 4' above the floor in a garage.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
48fordnut

Go to your sister site Garage Journal.Com. There is a wealth of info there
48fordnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:28 PM   #19
Willit Stop

I've often thought of making a solar panel for heating my garage (Lots of youtube videos are out there). How much heat they produce is impressive.But usually they only work when you don't need them.I'd like to build one anyway. Free heat.
Willit Stop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 02:35 PM   #20
carguybill

I considered many options and ended up with an overhead heater, propane powered. Very happy with it. good insulation in walls and overhead help a lot to keep the operational costs down.

Garage Heater 001.jpg

Garage Heater 003.jpg
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #21
Bob NH

Strange that no one here has mentioned getting a heater from an old mobile home ? Does not require much room and should take the chill out of a shop. My basement is a constant 60 degrees and plenty warm for anytime I am down there.
Bob NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:10 PM   #22
Krylon32

In my old shop at the farm I had a vent less wall hanging propane heater which did a great job in my 36X30 with 8 foot ceiling room that I fabricated chassis in. I was skeptical about the vent less feature but used it 15 years with no problems. It just hung on the wall on one end of the shop. It was very economical. In my new 30X40 shop with 12 ft ceiling I have a hanging Hot Dawg vented overhead heater. I does a great job and burns very little propane.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:17 PM   #23
waterboychuck

My 32x40 shop is heated with a Hot Dawg and works great, but if I need something in my 3 car garage I use a jet propane heater. You can turn it on and point it in the direction where you need the heat to be.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #24
Ron Pilger

I have a picture of Bo Derek from the 1970's. She is running on the beach straight towards me.
Ron Pilger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #25
KDL

I heat and cool my 26 x 36 garage with a mini split. I keep it at 50 during the week and bump it up to 60 or so on the weekends. Heat cost me about $3 a day.
In the summer I set it on the drying mode and it keeps it cool and dry or I can switch to full AC. Both the heat and AC are whisper quiet.
I also have a 12KW ceiling hung electric heater for back up. I'm very pleased with the whole set up.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:23 PM   #26
john in illinois

I have had this vented propane heater for 25 years. My shop has 2” of insulation and is caulked and sealed from our winter Illinois winds. Also have overhead fan.I keep it 45 at night and 68 for the day with an automatic thermostat.

This has worked well for me,but there are newer technologies when you get ready for for a permanent set up.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1548969D-1157-454E-9123-8C64DE7BDE12.jpg (69.6 KB, 92 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:38 PM   #27
1931 flamingo

Surprised no one's mentioned a wood or coal stove.
Heated my house for years with a Warm Morning (100 lb capacity) coal stove. 110 in the cellar, 90 to 75first floor and about 60 2nd floor.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #28
barnfind

Ron P,

I prefer the Bo Derek from the Tarzan movie and pics - from the early 80s.
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #29
tubman

Guys, some of you are getting waaaay of the subject, which was "Temp Heat". He's not looking for a furnace or wood stove; as a matter of fact, he specifically mentioned propane as his desired fuel. One of the nice things about some of these propane heaters is that they are fairly easy to sell when you are done with them. I sold a propane garage heater on Craig's List. Being careful, I wanted to make the exchange in a public place. The buyer suggested the parking lot at Home Depot, which is fairly centrally located. I thought it was kind of ironic, since I had bought it there a couple of years earlier for about $20 more than he paid. He did save sales tax, and it was properly broken in.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #30
michael a

For those of you guys that are getting ready to pour floor in the shop or build a shop I highly recommend hot water in the floor of the shop I have an electric boiler which takes up no room as it is hung on the wall my shop will maintain Heat with no problem my thermostat is set on 65 and it stays that way the year round no maintenance no Flame and that warm floor is a greatest thing to work on there ever was. When I built the shop I spend my whole life working in shops with either heaters in the ceiling or the turbo diesel and propane heaters and freezing my feet off at all time again I would highly recommend the N for heat

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:31 PM   #31
KDL

Or was he looking for an alternate heat source, that would have limited use, that didn't require the high expense of the natural gas line?
Either way lots of good suggestions.
KDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:36 PM   #32
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard crow View Post
be careful with any flame heater to be safe it must be mounted high & vented.
Absolutely. If you don't do anything else be sure to follow THIS rule.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM   #33
paul2748

I use one very similar to this. At full blast it will throw you out of the garage within a few minutes. I just used it in my 2 car very leaky garage on a 32 degree day pulling an engine out. Mine is a Coleman power mate , 80,000 to 2000,000 btu's and despite opening the doors three times in an hour it kept us warm. Bought it about ten years ago and has worked great ever since, although some years I didn't use it at all.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...80DG/202895381

or this - a smaller unit

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...-202223055-_-N
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:12 PM   #34
fordor41

I found a used mobile home oil furnace. pumps hot air out the bottom. takes up about 2 sq. ft of floor space. feed it off a 20 gal plastic drum filled with fuel oil.
fordor41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:30 PM   #35
trahilaloid

Used oil burner

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk
trahilaloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:54 PM   #36
tubman

"Construction Heaters" (such as shown in Post #33 above) can be quite dangerous. I had one and I was working in my shop, about 4 feet from the heater with my back to it. I had blue jeans on and they had a small, frayed, hole in the back of my calf. All of a sudden, I felt extreme heat on the back if my leg, and found my pants were on fire. Frayed cotton is one of the most flammable materials there is (Boy Scouts use it with their "flint and steel" fire starters). The end result is that the back of my leg was badly burned and it took two months and a skin graft to recover. I never used that heater again and sold it shortly thereafter. Because of their very nature, these thing throw a tremendous amount of heat and can start anything close on fire. I wouldn't have one (obviously).
Old 12-14-2017, 11:56 PM   #37
trahilaloid

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] caught himself read the warning labels I guess

Old 12-15-2017, 03:26 AM   #38
tiger.1000

Are you looking to keep your hands warm or preserve your Ford? If it's the latter, you don't need heat, just control humidity. Dry atmosphere = dry and not rusty car. If it's the former, well the previous posts have all the information you need
tiger.1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:05 AM   #39
trahilaloid

Just find a used oil burner every shop has one if you can find a broken one they are simple to fix and you'll get a hell of a deal gather all of your friends dispose of there used oil cheapest option you can find

Old 12-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #40
RalphM

This all Reminds me, many years ago in the Army, I was overseas and had purchased an old ex police Harley Davidson. Many foreign countries used Harley’s in the 50’s to 70’s.
It was winter and I didn’t want it in plain view in the motor pool while I worked on it. So I put it in the small boiler room behind the shop and started the restoration. It was very cramped, but nice and warm.
Old 12-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #41
fortyfords

I have used the jet type job heaters, big draw back is that they are very loud, kerosene really stinks, propane isn't that smelly but will get to you after 8 hours. Barrel stoves are cheap to set up and use if you have a good wood supply but on windy days you can get smoke fumes coming in. I have used one of those infrared overhead heaters but they must be used in a well insulated room to work good.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:15 PM   #42
38bill

FYI: Another thing to consider. Burning one gallon of LP or nat gas produces almost 1 gallon of water vapor. If you are using a vent-less heater you are adding a lot of moisture into the building.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 12:34 PM   #43
Pat/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguybill View Post
I considered many options and ended up with an overhead heater, propane powered. Very happy with it. good insulation in walls and overhead help a lot to keep the operational costs down.

Attachment 342712

Attachment 342713
Rick, I use this same Reznoir propane heater. Hangs out of the way in the corner. You can see part of it hanging in this picture. My garage is 28' x 24', insulated. I keep the temp around 50 degrees when I'm not in there and around 65 degrees when I'm working in the garage. Cost me around $1,400 with installation and around $250 a year for propane. Not bad. I have had it for 10 years or so with no problems. Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pat's Garage AB.jpg (76.5 KB, 71 views)
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 01:36 PM   #44
Johnnydidd

I installed a heat-air conditioner unit works great in all seasons, cant remember size but runs off 220 volt, keeps very comfortable had it for 4 yrs I think I paid $600 to $700 for it
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 03:06 PM   #45
paul2748

I really take exception to them being "dangerous'. If you were standing four feet from the unit there's no way your pants can catch fire. If I'm a foot away from the unit I can't feel any direct heat from the unit My unit is about 12 inches from the side of the garage and the side does not get hot at all. There is no flame other then inside the unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Construction Heaters" (such as shown in Post #33 above) can be quite dangerous. I had one and I was working in my shop, about 4 feet from the heater with my back to it. I had blue jeans on and they had a small, frayed, hole in the back of my calf. All of a sudden, I felt extreme heat on the back if my leg, and found my pants were on fire. Frayed cotton is one of the most flammable materials there is (Boy Scouts use it with their "flint and steel" fire starters). The end result is that the back of my leg was badly burned and it took two months and a skin graft to recover. I never used that heater again and sold it shortly thereafter. Because of their very nature, these thing throw a tremendous amount of heat and can start anything close on fire. I wouldn't have one (obviously).
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 04:41 PM   #46
RalphM

All depends on how close you are, I saw a guy one time trying to warm his “back side” on one of those propane heaters after he came in from the cold here in Alaska. After about five minutes he caught fire! I was laughing so hard it was tough to help put it out!
Old 12-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #47
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnydidd View Post
I installed a heat-air conditioner unit works great in all seasons, cant remember size but runs off 220 volt, keeps very comfortable had it for 4 yrs I think I paid $600 to $700 for it
As a combined unit; for that kind of money, I'd prefer to do both at one time. Can you get me the unit manufacture, name, size, etc? Many thanks!
Old 12-16-2017, 10:08 AM   #48
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I really take exception to them being "dangerous'. If you were standing four feet from the unit there's no way your pants can catch fire. If I'm a foot away from the unit I can't feel any direct heat from the unit My unit is about 12 inches from the side of the garage and the side does not get hot at all. There is no flame other then inside the unit.
That's nice to know that this didn't happen to me. Still hurt a lot though. Those things are known as "Construction Heaters", not "Garage Heaters" for a very good reason. I will agree that they are cheap and throw a lot of heat, and perhaps OK for "temp heat", but I'll never use one again. Please be careful with yours. Good luck.

Last edited by tubman; 12-16-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 AM   #49
tubman

Since I'm stuck in Minnesota for the winter, I decided to buy a 17,000 BTU infrared electric heater to quickly warm my work area. It does this quite well and was not too expensive ($109.95). It does have some disadvantages; first, it needs a 30 AMP 220 volt outlet. Luckily, I have one of those for my welder. The second problem will probably make itself evident when I get my first electric bill. The knock on electric heat has always been the cost; I'm sure I'm in for a dose of reality soon. Oh well, hopefully it's only for this one year.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #50
SofaKing

I used a $10 infrared lamp in $9 reflector socket over my workbench and a pair of coveralls. Keeps your hands/front and small workbench area warm and provides extra light. I also moved it around for working in the cab or under the car.
SofaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:10 AM   #51
Drbrown

Electric heat source always the most expensive. Kerosene, even K-1, does not burn completely and deposits an invisible soot in the space (I know this well).

Don't use anything that obtains combustion air from the garage itself. Compared to other gases, gasoline and LP gas fumes are heavier than air and settle to floor level which is why most building codes require a garage attached to to house have its floor level at least 18 inches below the floor level of the house.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #52
tubman

After what "DrBrown" said, I will add again that I have a Carbon Monoxide/Gas Fume detector that plugs into a convenient outlet. It's cheap insurance (though they can be annoying if you want to do "just a short test run" of your car).
Old 12-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #53
5851a

If you have the electricity for it they do make small electric hanging furnaces. You would want insulation though. I use a hot dawg hanging but have natural gas since in town. To late for in floor heat but next time, I do remember froze toes.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #54
tubman

Having experienced it several times, I will agree with the assessment that in floor heat is the best way to go. However, it is about the farthest thing you can get when discussing "temp heat".
Old 12-16-2017, 02:48 PM   #55
Mtn Wudy

I’m right in the middle of “Garage Heat 2017”......
100 feet of gas line trench dug 18” deep.....
Pipe in and held pressure for a week...
Air return plenum built...filters ordered....
Furnace mounted,ready to get the sheet metal guy out here on Monday...
Last winter it was no fun trying to get anything done when the shop was 36 degrees ....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 181D2DF2-4A01-452C-A49D-0B418AEA47CD.jpg (54.0 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-16-2017, 02:49 PM   #56
Mtn Wudy

Now,,,,how did that happen...????
You get the idea anyway.....
Old 12-16-2017, 08:13 PM   #57
Ardun

I cut a hole in the heater ducting and put in closable vent. Works great in winter and summer for a 4 car garage.
Ardun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #58
Drbrown

Some low(er) heat/power consumption ideas:

If one has a hot water circulating home heating system it could be relatively easy to extend a supply and return piping to a garage area, incorporating shut-off and diverter/balancing valves .... however don't allow the water in the pipes to freeze. Hot water heating systems normally have a 15 lb or adjustable water pressure reducer at the boiler. This would work well with a ceiling suspended heating unit with electric fan and thermo control. Design your own device .... Got an old car radiator and electric fan ?

Not as good .... with a ducted home heating system a supply air duct might be extended to a garage, with shut off/volume control damper, but one would NOT want a return air duct as that could return contaminate air circulating inside the home.

Best idea .... put an old semi-worn-out but functioning flatie or diesel outside next to the garage with a small fuel tank. Use some steam hosing (sold by the foot) to connect it to its/a radiator inside the garage, and place a portable 24' box fan to blow air thru the radiator. Fill the flatie with antifreeze. Listen to its music as you work. Tell the wife to wear ear muffs. Idling the engine not good but its like putting a race horse out to pasture.

Last edited by Drbrown; 12-16-2017 at 11:42 PM.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 09:30 AM   #59
Johnnydidd

ricklove
i have unit mounted 6 ft off floor couldn't find model number it was built by Frigidaire, you should be able to buy at Sams its the largest unit they make for heat/air
Old 12-17-2017, 10:38 AM   #60
RalphG

I have an old oil furnace from a home in the shop where I work on stuff. It can get the temp up well into the workable range for me. I don't use it a lot. I have to be pretty inspired to get out there some days when its in the minus 20s outside. Also got a space heater. One of those "rocket" deals that burns anything from kerosene to tractor fuel. I'll use it in the big , well ventilated machine shed some. In a smaller, less ventilated shed it produces enough exhaust to make your throat burn after a while. They tell me kerosene burns a little cleaner.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #61
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbrown View Post
Some low(er) heat/power consumption ideas:

Best idea .... put an old semi-worn-out but functioning flatie or diesel outside next to the garage with a small fuel tank. Use some steam hosing (sold by the foot) to connect it to its/a radiator inside the garage, and place a portable 24' box fan to blow air thru the radiator. Fill the flatie with antifreeze. Listen to its music as you work. Tell the wife to wear ear muffs. Idling the engine not good but its like putting a race horse out to pasture.
Neat idea for us MacGyver types! Might add that an idling Diesel uses very little fuel and will never get warm enough to produce much heat.
To gain more heat, bolt on an automatic transmission, lock the output shaft, and put it in drive. Run the cooler lines inside to a trans cooler. Run the engine about a 1,000 RPM. The shearing action of the fluid in the torque converter makes a lot of heat. Since we're cutting holes in the wall, add two more and pipe the exhaust inside, through a large muffler, and out again. Use the hottest thermostat you can find. You can even add an engine oil cooler and get back even more from the gas you're burning. How close to 100% efficient would this be??! No heat lost up a chimney! Apply for off road use of fuel and get the hiway tax ($.20/gal. or more) credit.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:28 PM   #62
deuce_roadster

Personally, I wouldn't use anything that has an open flame. Gas/lacquer thinner, etc vapors can and do get into places you can't put your hand. If I had a propane or NG furnace I would box it in outside the building and duct only the heat in.
I have an in wall electric furnace (fits between studs) in the heated part of my pole building. The heating element is about 7' above the floor and the hot air comes out floor level.
I know that isn't temporary but please be careful of anything with a flame.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #63
cas3

years ago the neighbor kid had a plugged gas line in his dodge charger. he decided to blow back into the tank with the cap off with air nozzel. did i mention the wood stove at the back of the garage? no more charger...or garage...or house
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM   #64
Johnnydidd

Ralph, be careful around fumes, i have Pulmonary Fibrosis, which is degenerative disease of the lungs, i have breathed in everything welding fumes to DDT, be careful what you breathe so you don't get bad lungs like me, i am on oxygen 24/7
Old 12-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #65
Kahuna

I have a Pellet Stove that I got last year. It works really well, uses outside air for combustion & exhaust. In use it costs about 5 bucks a day to operate (all day)
Shop is 24 X 32, fully insulated, except for the (2) 10' doors. Takes about an hour
to make it a comfortable 65 degrees.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:36 PM   #66
TomT/Williamsburg

I have a 26x30 garage with 16' ceilings. Although my weather here in Virginia may not be as cold as you, I use a heat pump system - it's a take out unit now around 15 years old. You get both heat and AC and I use a propane heater to initially warm the shop before turning on the heat pump. I then turn down the heater, keeping the temp around 55 which is ok for me but the heat pump at that point can maintain it. It's a fairly inexpensive install but your cost for electricity may be a lot more than mine. I also set the heat pump to no less than 45 all the time in my garage so it is not icy cold when I first get in there. I have R19 insul in the walls and ceiling and two insulated 9' garage doors. I had the concrete floors set on 2" foam board insul with a proper vapor barrier.

There are some pretty nice jet heaters out there - just find what's your cheapest fuel to heat with, get the place warm with that than maintain it with the other.

Nothing about this hobby is cheap I can tell you that but it's our passion ... (chuckling) ....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #67
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Pilger View Post
I have a picture of Bo Derek from the 1970's. She is running on the beach straight towards me.
If that's all you use to keep you warm up there; I'm going to need a/c instead of heat down here.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:16 AM   #68
ricklove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat/Ohio View Post
Rick, I use this same Reznoir propane heater. Hangs out of the way in the corner. You can see part of it hanging in this picture. My garage is 28' x 24', insulated. I keep the temp around 50 degrees when I'm not in there and around 65 degrees when I'm working in the garage. Cost me around $1,400 with installation and around $250 a year for propane. Not bad. I have had it for 10 years or so with no problems. Pat

Many thanks for the info Pat.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:23 AM   #69
ricklove

Folks; MANY thanks for all the responses, info, suggestions, and details. I just ordered an 80,000 BTU Dyna Glo and 30lb propane tank. Will try it out next week! Again; thanks to all and wishing each of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:46 AM   #70
RalphG

One advantage to working in the 10 degree temp in my shed yesterday was that I hardly felt any pain when I hit my hand with a hammer yesterday. Typing a little slow today though. :-(
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote