Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
Msaby

Default Carburator adjustment

I now have the engine running and would like to adjust the carburator properly. I have a tillotson carburator which I have throughly cleaned and replaced all the necessary pieces. I made sure the intake flange surface was flat. I think I understand how the fuel adjustment in the cab should be set, off, 1/8 or 1/4 turn when warmed up but I am unsure how to adjust the other mixture screw.

Many years ago when I worked in the garage we would put a vacumm gauge on an engine and adjust the carb for maximun vacuum. Can I still adjust this way?
I spent several hours searching the forum for carburator information but it appears the Zenth carburator is more common.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Mike
Msaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #2
Patrick L.

Default Re: Carburator adjustment

Both mating surfaces of the body need to be flat also and they can be filed to fit. They seem to run best at about 1/4 to 1/2 turn out on the GAV. As for the idle mixture, just set it a about 1 turn and then turn each direction until it starts to run worse, then split the difference. You'll hear/feel it.
Did you get the passages clean ? Usually the main jet needs to come out to make sure the 2 transition ports are clean and that jet does not want to come out on some and needs to be drilled out and replaced.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote