Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
roadster31

Default 28 Sport Coupe

I just Moved back to Minnesota from the great state of CA. We lived in Pioneer for 5 years -- without a Model A, I started getting the shakes and found I needed a Model A again. A friend had one in his shed: an early April Sport Coupe, 50,000 miles and very complete. The question is, where can I find all the differences in the "early" Ford. It runs and drives, but someone painted the fenders the same as the body color -- off white! I kinda like it! But it isn't original. What are the wheel colors for that model?

I gotta go get something accomplished.
Warm regards and I'm glad to be back.
E LaBrash
roadster31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #2
40-A Twins

Default Re: 28 Sport Coupe

Model A Judging Standards & Restoration Guidelines is the best way to figure out what is correct for early models.
https://www.mafca.com/pub_standards.html

Kevin
40-A Twins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
wrndln

All 28's and 29's had black wheels from the factory. I believe some dealers painted the rims to the customers requested colors, but I don't think many rims were painted various colors. It is pretty easy to remove the 4 fenders to scuff them and paint them black like they originally were.

Last edited by wrndln; 08-22-2021 at 04:14 PM.
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #4
rotorwrench

Dealers would paint the rims if requested. They were generally painted to match the pin stripe on the body.

You are indeed fortunate if the car still has all the original top trim pieces.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
100IH

So when you send for the restoration guidelines, might as well get the paint manual and if your really serious the service bulletins and Les Andrews vol.1 Mechanics hand book. Parts catalogues are usually free.
100IH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 05:08 AM   #6
roadster31

Thank you to all those who replied to my questions. I got the car home yesterday, got all the bat and bird droppings washed off. It isn't quite as beautiful in the harsh daylight. But, it is very restorable and drivable as it is -- with all the brake and wiring work ahead. A few years ago I heard about someone rebuilding powerhouse generators with modern alternator electronics inside. Does anyone know how or who does the work? It needs a new top, looks simple, but I've said that before then spending a month on a project.

Thanks again, Roadster31
Old 08-24-2021, 05:13 AM   #7
roadster31

RE. 40-A twins post: I like your photo, I didn't think there was two white Fords on the planet.
Old 08-24-2021, 07:52 AM   #8
ronn

I would drive it for 6 months, making slight improvements to its road ability, figuring on how far you really want to go with your new toy................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #9
Ernie Vitucci

Good Morning...You might want to give the old girl fresh oil, lube all the zerks, change the transmission oil, check the rear end oil, and repack the front wheel bearings, flush and back flush the engine and radiator...good idea to have a new coil and condenser under the seat if you don't install them...also the wire from the bottom of the coil to the top of the distributor...the fan belt may be old and brittle...good idea to change it...finally check the little wire in the bottom of the distributor...they get old and brittle and fail...clean and tighten all the electrical connetions so one doesn't come loose on the road...then start driving and enjoying...Ernie in Arizona
Ernie Vitucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #10
rotorwrench

There are some good Power House generator threads on this part of the forum that cover the two designs. They can be rebuilt and are good units when functional. I'm not a fan of the 6-volt conversion alternators since many of them run at a higher rated voltage than they should.

The Sport Coupe top is fairly complicated and can be challenging to get to fit well. If the body wood is solid and the frame is straight, the job is easier but still a lot of work. Be careful with the rear belt molding pieces. They are rare as hens teeth in original condition and can be easily damaged. No one is currently reproducing them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote