Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #61
Gumpy

Default Re: Flathead filter

A 59ab motor I had at one time ran without a filter but i put a powerful magnet on the pan near the drain plug so when I changed the oil I would sometimes see metal filings.......gump
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 AM   #62
Merc Cruzer

Ok so I am not ready to give up just quite yet. Most of remote filter applications seem to be in hot rods/modified/customs, so there is no intent to maintain the original appearance. Has anyone tried to conceal the remote head and filter inside of the original canister? I am thinking that with the use of a 90 degree head that the whole unit could be mounted inside the original canister with modifications to the back for the lines. You would cut two slots in the back for the pipes and that would allow you to simply slide the original canister down and out of the way when you wanted to change the filter. Of the two original filters, the only one that would seem to work is the one on the later (52'-53') Mercury that "bolts to the head" and not the one that the head bolts go through.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6307.jpg (42.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6308.jpg (50.9 KB, 83 views)
Merc Cruzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:17 AM   #63
Cecil/WV

I don't know how you would keep the original look with the much larger lines that it requires??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:47 AM   #64
Merc Cruzer

I was thinking steele and not rubber and then paint them black.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:30 PM   #65
Merc Cruzer

Cecil/WV:

When you consider what you can see now...I don't think hiding the larger lines will be an issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6309.jpg (78.6 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6310.jpg (76.6 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6311.jpg (65.8 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN6312.jpg (68.6 KB, 129 views)
Old 01-18-2011, 06:35 PM   #66
36tbird

Merc, I'm working on a spin on conversion for the old canister filters. When I get that done and if you are interested, you could have the old look with a modern filter hooked up to you upgraded filtration system for your flatmotor.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:38 PM   #67
Merc Cruzer

36tbird:

I will look forward to seeing the pictures....
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #68
Ronnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
Yes...it is the lower passage that feeds the bearing. This is below the plug and feeds the rear main, the blind hole above the plug is the one that feeds filtered oil to everything else in the system. Oil from the pump divides BELOW the plug, a portion feeding unfilterd oil to the rear main, the remainin majority going through the filter, across to return to the vertical stack ABOVE the plug and on to the oil galleries. The rear main gets unfiltered oil straight from the pump.
The passage the ends before the rear main is the outlet from filter, the one below drilled from two directions is the rear bearing feed.
LOWER passage is into the filter, UPPER is from the filter. The plug forces oil flow through the filter and fully isolates the rear main from filtered flow. Except on racing engines with fully external oils systems, altering that is complicated, as Smokey demonstrates!
Bruce I finally got out to the shop to look at the small block rear main.I probed the rear main oil feed hole with a welding rod.
The oil feed hole in the bearing web intersects the the drilled oil line on the other side of the plug which is where the filtered oil is coming from after the filter.The oil that leaves the oil pump has no other place to go except to the right ond on into the filter and doesn't feed the oil feed hole as it is on the other side of the installed plug.

Ronnie
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #69
Mike in AZ

have seen pics of that idea in Tex Smith's flathead book....guy figured out a way to secure the filter mount inside the original filter can....slots to run the two hoses in the side....cut the bottom off the filter can so you can get to the spin on filter....pretty clean setup....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 AM   #70
36tbird

Mike, that is exactly where I got the idea to do mine. It is kinda labor intensive. It is tough to get a good even cut to remove the bottom of the cans. I have figured that I will make an initial cut big enough to fit in a boring bar attachment then cut from the inside out to get an even cut on the taper line. I found 5" diameter aluminum stock to use as the spin on filter plate. Finding a source for the filter nipples was another hurtle. I hope to get an engine running soon that I can test the filter on.
36tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:10 AM   #71
19Fordy

In Post #57 wouldn't that set up interfere with the headers?
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:36 AM   #72
34PKUP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
In Post #57 wouldn't that set up interfere with the headers?
Probably not if used with original stock headers.
And there is nothing to prevent modifying the oil feed tubes as well as relocating the filter to provide clearance if needed to accommodate aftermarket headers.
34PKUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #73
Ziggster

Interesting. I was just going to reinstall the "original" remote filter that came with engine, but it takes up room, and makes things cluttered IMHO. So, if running without a filter is fine, what should I be checking for exactly on the oil ports at the rear bell hsg on my C69?
Ziggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #74
Ronnie

Yikes 8 year old thread

R
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 09:08 AM   #75
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggster View Post
Interesting. I was just going to reinstall the "original" remote filter that came with engine, but it takes up room, and makes things cluttered IMHO. So, if running without a filter is fine, what should I be checking for exactly on the oil ports at the rear bell hsg on my C69?
If it was a bypass filter nothing. If it was what is called the 95% conversion, it would be a grub in the passage as shown in the previous diagrams. If it was one of the military type oil cooler/filter setups it would have had a fitting in the oil connection on the block that closed off the passage. It was an external fitting with a section attached to the bottom that extended down to block the passage.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:55 PM   #76
aussie merc

the long and short of it any filter is better than none the debate will rage till the last flathead dies but if you dont have a filter youve got 0% chance of catching any contaminant your choices your consequences
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 AM   #77
fftoddster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobscogin View Post
I recall that story, but if recall correctly the failure was due to the fact that the owner had used a block that had been modified to have the oil diverted out to a filter and didn't realize it. He plugged the external pipe ports and the "grub screw" blocked the oil from entering the oil galley. I bet Bruce Lancaster remembers that one. I think he discovered the cause of the problem.

Bob
I am so thankful I found this thread as the engine I have acquired and am about to install has this mod. I was considering just plugging the ports (not knowing anything about that grub screw and the damage that would have occurred)

You guys are great and this site if very helpful.
fftoddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:21 PM   #78
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fftoddster View Post
I am so thankful I found this thread as the engine I have acquired and am about to install has this mod. I was considering just plugging the ports (not knowing anything about that grub screw and the damage that would have occurred)

You guys are great and this site if very helpful.
Yep, would have been a BIG problem!
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #79
aussie merc

BIG OOPs avoided that could have been embarrassing to say the least you will find this a good site to share
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote