Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-31-2014, 07:07 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default Converting a dead Ford Script Battery to conceal a new Optima Battery

Converting an old dead Ford Script 2HF Battery case to conceal an Optima Gel Cel Battery to impress friends and Concourse Judges alike:

Use baking soda and water until the soda no longer bubbles, indicating a neutral ph condition. No sense in ruining your clothes! Remember to save the cell caps!

After it's all rinsed out, put it in the hot sun or a low heat oven to soften the tar on top. Use a screwdriver to remove and save the tar for future use on your repop top.

Measure the exact position of the details on the top of the battery before proceeding. Compare the distance between terminals on the original to the Optima, should be very close if not exact?

You may cut out only the top, or both top and bottom if it will sit on a solid tray, so decide first on that question. Both top and bottom cut out is easier, but your choice. Take care to not damage the sides, and the Ford script cell connectors.

The cell connectors extend well below the surface into each cell. They will need to be cut below the surface with a hacksaw at an angle from the topside. Set them aside for later.

The battery case will have ribs that have to be removed, best done with a drill press to prevent bloodstains on the garage floor. Be prepared for a black dusty mess to clean up. Compare the Optima to the case, the ribs need not be cleanly removed, only enough to allow clearance. The Optima may have mounting ears on the bottom that will interfere with the fit. These are inconsequential and may be removed.

Again, crucial that the sides and top edge remain intact. The top inside edge will be used to secure the new top. Use 1/16" Black ABS for the top. Fit it, but do not glue it in yet. Transfer all dimensions to this top, then glue on 3/32" Black ABS for the cells. Both the ABS and the glue can be had at a Plastics Supply store. If none in your area, look up TAP Plastics website.

Determine the new positions of the cel caps removed from the old battery, and provide for their installation. Take care to not mar the raised surface you created with the three 3/32" panels, as these will be visible on the finished job. The top edges of these panels should be clean and deburred.

Drill for the Optima terminals, and fit all to the case before proceeding. Drill for the Ford Script Terminals. The two center posts of the connectors must be fastened flush with the inside of the case, the end connector fasteners may protrude. For all, I drilled for clearance of the head of a screw, inserted that screw upside down, then soldered it into the connectors. This method gave me solid studs to run nuts onto from the underside of the top. Remember, the center studs must be flush with the underside, so drill that underside to accept a nut to be flush.

Satisfied with the detail of the top, you can then secure it to the case. If you've cut out the bottom, secure it permanently by whatever means you like. Final fitting of the Optima, which for the 2HF will need to be jacked up with shims of some sort to project the terminals out the top.

Now comes the application of the tar removed from the old battery, and the admiration of all who behold your creation!

Note: For those cursed with the 2LF battery dimensions, the old Optima fit perfectly, but the new is just a tad too tall. You guys need to step back and decide how to deal with that unfortunate reality. Several possibilities, none of which can be said to be best
Old 04-01-2014, 05:47 AM   #2
1952henry

Default Re: Converting a dead Ford Script Battery to conceal a new Optima Battery

Plan to do this one day. I was given a case that Bob Drake had made when he was once going to make reproduction batteries. Also have an original Ford script battery with all the goodies. Thanks for the write up.

I lived in Grants Pass, OR for a spell. After Drake changed his mind about making batteries, he was all but giving away the cases. Some fellows in my club bought them for various reasons. Some cases even ended up as flower pots, or so I heard.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
37 Coupe

Default Re: Converting a dead Ford Script Battery to conceal a new Optima Battery

I wish Bob Drake or other reproduction supplier would have developed a Ford script battery box for the Optima to fit into. Not the fragile tar case like Antique Auto Battery supplies but a good plastic poly one,wouldn't really have to be that thick and if it was Ford script on both sides it would function on many different years. I think it would be a good seller.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
1952henry

That's where I lucked out. The case I have is an actual thick-walled battery case. Don't know or remember the reason the project was scrapped. It is the larger case, can't remember the group number.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:23 PM   #5
whizzernick

I make a ford script fiberglass case that an optma will fit in perfect. No top yet but I am working on that. My case was made from 34 ford battery. I will post pictures in a few min.
Nick 510-889-1933
whizzernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
ford38v8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
37coupe, I never saw any "fragile tar" battery cases. Perhaps you are talking abouit a box made specifically to house the Optima? An actual battery does have a good solid case.

1952Henry, the Ford used a 2LF battery until 1939, I believe, then changed to a 2HF battery. The L and H in the code refers to Low and High height.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
ford38v8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzernick View Post
I make a ford script fiberglass case that an optma will fit in perfect. No top yet but I am working on that. My case was made from 34 ford battery. I will post pictures in a few min.
Nick 510-889-1933
Nick, tell these guys how a well made conversion looks! See you at the meeting on the ninth?
Old 04-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
whizzernick

ford 38 v8 is real nice. see you at meeting
here are pictures of two I just made for ford barn
member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2 battery box.jpg (14.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 04-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #9
whizzernick

Sorry ford38v8
Yes your battery box is super nice ( optma battry goes in from bottom )
so top is part of box , optma posts go threw holes in top.
My battery box is $50 + shipping.
Nick
Old 12-20-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
carguybill

Quote:
ford 38 v8 is real nice. see you at meeting
here are pictures of two I just made for ford barn
member.
I'm confused, the picture shown shows battery boxes with a top but you say you do not yet have a top for your Optma box. What am I missing?
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 11:23 AM   #11
37 Coupe

Quote:
Sorry ford38v8
Yes your battery box is super nice ( optma battry goes in from bottom )
so top is part of box , optma posts go threw holes in top.
My battery box is $50 + shipping.
Nick
Do you still offer this case and do you now have a top? I would be interested in getting one.