Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM   #41
Gunmetal blue2

Default Re: 1928 Ford Phaeton/Huckster

Keep up the great work, I hope you have kids that you can take for a ride and get them hooked on the car to carry on the family car. Hope my truck looks that good when I get done with it.
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:56 AM   #42
yjwrangler95

No kids yet but we are getting married in December.

Anyone have any other ideas about running rough when hot. It started after about 40 minutes of stop and go and then going up a big hill (2nd gear type hill) pulling it pretty hard. It completely would die and i woudl have to back down the hill. It woudl restart and idle fine but stumble upon accleration.

Thanks for your alls kinds words and help.

I'll check the points gap and timing tonight.
yjwrangler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #43
Tom Wesenberg

If you are using the crap gas, run it out and fill up with a tank of real gas. Also as soon as it gives trouble pull the coil wire and check for a hot blue spark at least 1/4" or more long.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #44
1930artdeco

If all of the timing, points, condenser etc., checks out. Back flush the radiator and block. If you have the original pump on it extra grease may have been pushed into the water jackets plugging up some of the tubes and passages. Also check to see if your overflow tube is bent correctly. It should point upwards as far as possible. Great looking truck and great job.

Mike
Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #45
yjwrangler95

I check the points gap, it was way off, reset it and also set the plug gap again. Ran it around for a few miles, as it warmed up/heated up (90 degrees outside) about 15 minutes, under full throttle it would start to choke down and backfire. If i backed off the throttle it would start to run better after a while. Next is condenser and coil.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:41 PM   #46
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjwrangler95 View Post
I check the points gap, it was way off, reset it and also set the plug gap again. Ran it around for a few miles, as it warmed up/heated up (90 degrees outside) about 15 minutes, under full throttle it would start to choke down and backfire. If i backed off the throttle it would start to run better after a while. Next is condenser and coil.
It sounds like you may be correct with the condenser and coil. Good luck.
If those are not the problems, then it would seem like something in your gas delivery. Again no expert on this but just a guess.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:06 AM   #47
Tom Wesenberg

If it misses and backfires the instant you floor it, then it well might be weak spark, but if it runs strong for a bit then misses and backfires, I'd bet on lack of gas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #48
gweilbaker

For grins and giggles check the fuel line at the carb inlet, make sure the line is not bottoming in the housing. The line should be just proud of the ferrule, if allowed to bottom it reduces the flow of fuel.
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #49
yjwrangler95

Thanks for all the great advice, I really appreciate it! I'll check these things this weekend and report back.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #50
yjwrangler95

QUESTIONS NEED HELP_

Long time no talk. I was having some drivability problems, I ended up buying a "new" to me rebuilt carburetor. Ran it and basally had the same problem. Under a heavy load/lugging going up hill it starts to backfire, if i left off the accelerator briefly it starts to run better and will smooth out. It seems like it happen under full throttle. Tried adjusting the GAV no help. I think it is running out of fuel.

I check the "stick out" of the fuel line, trimmed it up and put a new ferrule on, I also put a new condenser in and drove out the driveway. Under hard acceleration in high gear it starts backfiring and popping out of the carb, let off and it cleans up. Must be a fuel issue.

I bought a screen for the tank, and I'm going to take the lines off and replace them as well as check the ball valve.

Any other ideas? It will idle all day long and runs great at idle. I also regapped the points.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:48 AM   #51
yjwrangler95

I replaced the coil, plugs and condensor. Figured out it was fuel, removed sediment bowl, blew out the line with an air hose and seems to run great. Now i need to install my tank pickup screen. Shoud fix my problems.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #52
yjwrangler95

So I drove the ol girl about 15 miles friday, when i got home noticed the radiator was steaming a little and looked at the #8 head bolt and it was bubbling around it. It didn' the clamp and no washers under it so i put a few on and retorqued it.

There is no water in the oil, no smoke and no oil in the water. Thoughts?