Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-05-2015, 02:10 PM   #1
fingers

Default carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

For my birthday my son made me a 13/32 deep well socket. this thing is really slick. So my question to you Barners is would there be any interest in having him make a few more? Not sure what the cost would be yet, naturally the more to be made the cheaper they would be.
fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 02:11 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

Pictures are nice...
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM   #3
Ford1931

I would also like to see pictures. Depends on the cost to make. How does the one he made you work? A friend also expressed interest.
Ford1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #4
Ron in Quincy

The Jets in the Zenith and Holley Carburetors are Millimeter; the only two that require a socket to remove or install are the Cap and Idle jets.

A number of years ago I went to a business that carried Millimeter sizes as well as the standard sizes. Took a Cap and Idle jet with me. A deep well 1/4"
drive 8 millimeter socket fits the Cap jet perfectly; I also got a short 1/4" drive millimeter socket that fit the Idle jet, I ground the end so I could use a small crescent on it. I cannot red the millimeter size as it was where I ground.

For the other Jets I ground a good quality screwdriver to fit the slots so I would not damage the Jets, also narrowed the screwdriver so it would enter the needle driver hole for those carburetors that had a removable needle seat, it also works fine on the Main jet which is installed from the bottom.

Ron

Last edited by Ron in Quincy; 02-06-2015 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Correct Drive Information
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 PM   #5
160B

You can buy a KR Wilson Zenith socket wrench #359 from the Parts vendors that is 9/32 on one end and 5/16 on the Other for $12.00.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?

Last edited by 160B; 02-05-2015 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Typo on 15/16 changed to 5/16
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #6
Joop

He is talking about the adjustment needle housing for
1930-1931

Last edited by Joop; 02-05-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:18 PM   #7
tbirdtbird
BANNED

somehow we went from 13/32 to 9/32 and 15/16
anyone for 79/183 ?
Old 02-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #8
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
I've never seen a carburetor jet that needed a nearly 1 inch socket!
Sorry!
typo changed to 5/16

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #9
haag1332

Ok folks,

I am the son who made the 13/32" socket to fit the zenith gav for my father.

I was unaware of ford barn until today when my father mentioned it with regard to the socket, and decided to take a look. As usual I saw the normal forum responses which end up clouding the issue of the original question or post.

I sent an email to my father regarding some of the questions raised in the thread which is as follows.

"Noticed guys were asking how the socket was made, basically wondering about quality and fit and such. Here is what you can tell them.

We start with a blank impact socket which has been annealed (not been hardened). We drill the socket, then broach the ends. Obviously the 13/32 end is broached using a special 6pt. corner relief broach that I had made. The 6 point design is the real key to the perfect fit. The other end is broached for 3/8 drive. We then harden the socket to approximately 41-51 Rockwell c. Obviously we just engraved yours with the size, but should we make any more we will probably stamp the size on them prior to heat treat making them look more professional.

As far as fit, you can attest to that, but the actual clearance we designed for was .004" (or 4 thousandths of an inch) overall, which is why it fits so well and should not mark or round the original part in any way due to perfect contact on the flats. The minimal clearance works due to the fact that the original part was made about 1-1.5 thousandths under 13/32". The socket will also fit the one you sent me that was all mangled up since the flats were still there but the corners were missing.

As you know there is about 6 months or more of R&D and trial and error in this thing, but at least it's perfect, lol.

If there are any further technical questions you can give them my email if need be."

Now I do not spend to much time on these forums so any further questions should probably be addressed to my father who started this thread, since I may not even look at this again. I am sure he will let me know of any further interest or concerns.

I am assuming he will provide pictures of the finished prototype at some point in time next week, but if not for whatever reason, I will be happy to do so myself if need be.

One last thing. I appreciate all of you enthusiasts who keep the history of these older vehicles alive. At 50 years of age, I do appreciate these older cars, but will admit that my focus is more along the lines of building racing motorcycles for my sons at this point. Hopefully at some point in time I will be able to retire and own a model A of my own.

Sorry dad, probably irritated a bunch of guys on here somehow, but I was just having trouble watching this thread go to he(double hockey sticks) in a handbasket.
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 12:53 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by haag1332 View Post
Ok folks,

I am the son who made the 13/32" socket to fit the zenith gav for my father.

I was unaware of ford barn until today when my father mentioned it with regard to the socket, and decided to take a look. As usual I saw the normal forum responses which end up clouding the issue of the original question or post.

I sent an email to my father regarding some of the questions raised in the thread which is as follows.

"Noticed guys were asking how the socket was made, basically wondering about quality and fit and such. Here is what you can tell them.

We start with a blank impact socket which has been annealed (not been hardened). We drill the socket, then broach the ends. Obviously the 13/32 end is broached using a special 6pt. corner relief broach that I had made. The 6 point design is the real key to the perfect fit. The other end is broached for 3/8 drive. We then harden the socket to approximately 41-51 Rockwell c. Obviously we just engraved yours with the size, but should we make any more we will probably stamp the size on them prior to heat treat making them look more professional.

As far as fit, you can attest to that, but the actual clearance we designed for was .004" (or 4 thousandths of an inch) overall, which is why it fits so well and should not mark or round the original part in any way due to perfect contact on the flats. The minimal clearance works due to the fact that the original part was made about 1-1.5 thousandths under 13/32". The socket will also fit the one you sent me that was all mangled up since the flats were still there but the corners were missing.

As you know there is about 6 months or more of R&D and trial and error in this thing, but at least it's perfect, lol.

If there are any further technical questions you can give them my email if need be."

Now I do not spend to much time on these forums so any further questions should probably be addressed to my father who started this thread, since I may not even look at this again. I am sure he will let me know of any further interest or concerns.

I am assuming he will provide pictures of the finished prototype at some point in time next week, but if not for whatever reason, I will be happy to do so myself if need be.

One last thing. I appreciate all of you enthusiasts who keep the history of these older vehicles alive. At 50 years of age, I do appreciate these older cars, but will admit that my focus is more along the lines of building racing motorcycles for my sons at this point. Hopefully at some point in time I will be able to retire and own a model A of my own.

Sorry dad, probably irritated a bunch of guys on here somehow, but I was just having trouble watching this thread go to he(double hockey sticks) in a handbasket.
I'd buy one!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 01:11 AM   #11
Tom Wesenberg

This sounds like a quality tool and I'd also be interested in one.

Why not make a run large enough for the parts houses to sell them?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:33 AM   #12
Bill in SoCal

I would be interested, too. Bill
Bill in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:40 AM   #13
kevinmac/toledo

ive got that size in my old craftsman 1/4 "set. from a long time ago...60's remeber ,why ,what would it fit.....i was about 14 yrs old...glad i kept it
kevinmac/toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:46 AM   #14
kevinmac/toledo

Thumbs up Re: carburetor 13/32 deep well socket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
I'd buy one!!!
after reading the post, i said to my self...theres one more guy supporting (our)model a ford hobby...cant have enough... p.s. ill buy one!!
kevinmac/toledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:48 AM   #15
haag1332

To answer your question Tom.

I have told my father what I think we can make them for either one off or in quantity.

I think he is trying to determine how much interest there is in order to determine what size run we could make, and in turn, once we know that we will know how much they would cost.

Obviously we can't make 100 and only sell 10, conversely, it wouldn't make sense to make 10, when there would be a market for 100.

I only made this socket to prove a point and provide my father with something that was unavailable for his birthday.

I had the tooling made in order to produce the socket, and I can make quite a few more with the same tooling. I personally, don't just want to make a bunch of these, only to be left with a bunch of these, lol.

Guess the real question would be. After everyone sees the pics, and understands the quality of the tool, how much would they actually, be worth? and can we make them in that price range?

With my research, I don't believe anyone out there has the ability or tooling to even make an honest to goodness 13/32" 6 point socket, or wrench for that matter. And as everyone would have to admit, a 12 point if available, will just round the corners and damage the original part.

Anyway, my 2 cents. I am sure if the interest is there, we can help all of those interested.
haag1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:16 AM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There are quite few vendors of model A parts. If you were to wholesale them out and they only bought 5 from you you have 100 sold in a heartbeat.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:24 AM   #17
MikeK

Count me in for two.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:28 AM   #18
jhowes

Another one here. thanks
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #19
Bob from Northport