Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-02-2019, 05:06 AM   #21
oldandtired

Default Re: Nut and bolt gauge for Early Ford

Tinker...I am not familiar with what the 38/9 pickup beds used. What length bolts are you seeking and how many do you need?
oldandtired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:18 AM   #22
32Bee

What a person can't find at any local hardware store are thick head bolts or odd lengths
such as 7/16", 5/8" or 1 1/8",or 1 3/4" long. Can't tell you how many trips I've made to
the local Ace Hardware looking for something like that or a screw or screws with slotted
not Phillips heads.
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 05:20 AM   #23
marko39

Along with the fine thread are the special thick head bolts Ford used . Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:24 AM   #24
rockfla

As a "Specialty Fastener house/supplier" (been in business since 1950).....A lot of the wholesale suppliers, obviously, do not have the "demand" for "some" of the screw and bolt sizes/lengths that Ford used back in the day (and there is still a big difference between Automotive & Industrial fasteners in form, even though the threads match). There are still a fairly good selection of "said" needs through "some" suppliers like me BUT they still need "modifications" to be "more" authentic i.e most commonly grade marks and/or mill stamps (and why I have a lathe to face the marks off the heads of bolts). "Thick Head" bolts are non existent in the "industrial/commercial" market, even through a few of my more "specialty" suppliers. Even today, for suppliers like me, #12 diameter both in tapping screws and in machine screw threads are a "very" limited selection from a supply stand point!!! As a long time supplier. I was amazed that Roy Nacewicz was able to provide the selection he did, given the relative "demand" in the V8 world. More fuel to the "Big loss" fire when Roy passed!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

This is an interesting discussion. Every time I take apart something old Ford that I'm parting out, I save the bolts or look in $1.00 piles at swaps for Ford bolts. I throw them into a 5 gallon bucket. Once it gets full, I take it to an industrial plating near me. The clean them and "replate" in black zinc. Cost around $75-$100 for them to do it.

I have storage boxes with all of the cleaned & refreshed Ford bolts ready to go.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #26
DavidG

51 MERC-CT,

The #12 screws shown in your post may serve your purposes, but for some of us the head configuration (quasi-slotted/Phillips) is unacceptable as such a configuration did not exist at the time our cars were produced. I am also reasonably confident that no chain hardware store carries #12 binding head or pan head screws, let alone some with nickel or cadmium plating. And as Peter points out, there's the issue of length as Ford used lots of 5/16, 7/16, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 13/16, 7/8, and 15/16 inch screws and bolts.

I do recognize that I have OCD tendencies when it comes to details such as the fasteners, but I am not alone in that regard in this hobby.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:19 AM   #27
Bob C

Caterpillar bolts are thick head and come in almost any length.
https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/bol...tId:undefined&
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #28
rockfla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C View Post
Caterpillar bolts are thick head and come in almost any length.
https://parts.cat.com/en/catcorp/bol...tId:undefined&
And Caterpillar charges "thick head" prices on their bolts, to in some cases "criminal" prices...believe me I know as several of my customers have told and shown us!!!!
rockfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 01:26 PM   #29
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
51 MERC-CT,

The #12 screws shown in your post may serve your purposes, but for some of us the head configuration (quasi-slotted/Phillips) is unacceptable as such a configuration did not exist at the time our cars were produced. I am also reasonably confident that no chain hardware store carries #12 binding head or pan head screws, let alone some with nickel or cadmium plating. And as Peter points out, there's the issue of length as Ford used lots of 5/16, 7/16, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 13/16, 7/8, and 15/16 inch screws and bolts.

I do recognize that I have OCD tendencies when it comes to details such as the fasteners, but I am not alone in that regard in this hobby.
OCD? You?
Not alone? Well, there's you and there's me. That's two...
Old 08-02-2019, 02:40 PM   #30
frnkeore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfla View Post
And Caterpillar charges "thick head" prices on their bolts, to in some cases "criminal" prices...believe me I know as several of my customers have told and shown us!!!!
I worked at Peterson Machinery, the Cat dealer, in my area, for 2 years and yes the prices are "not economical" but, you also get the Cat logo on many of them

I collect tractors and (6 out of 10 are Fords) and they used the large headed bolts, too (1/2", 7/8 hex, 5/8", 1 1/16 hex). I've looked all over for them, too and can't find them. So, I've just gone to using modern, grade 8 bolts, with SAE washers, for everything. The tractors don't seem to mind

Frank
frnkeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:55 PM   #31
estout81
BANNED

Blessings be to those with OCD. Without them the rest of us have nothing to strive for. I mean that in a good way.
estout81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 02:58 PM   #32
tubman

It's a common disease; all members of the "NCRS" have it worse than you guys (or do you judge wheel weights and valve stem caps too?)
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #33
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
OCD? You?
Not alone? Well, there's you and there's me. That's two...

...and ME makes three! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:11 PM   #34
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
It's a common disease; all members of the "NCRS" have it worse than you guys (or do you judge wheel weights and valve stem caps too?)

True scoop...I'm a former NCRS and Bloomington Gold type. DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #35
rotorwrench

I'm just glad my old Clausing 12" lathe will cut imperial thread sizes. There is lot of stuff that getting harder to source. With Roy gone now it may be even more difficult. Ford had odd ball head sizes with some bolts. They liked larger hex heads on some. At least most of there stuff was either national fine or national course. There used to be a national standard size that was in between. Harley Davidson loved that stuff on there old bikes before and just aft the war. That way you had to buy the stuff from them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote