Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-28-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
W_Higgins

Default '36 Radiator - looking for shop suggesting in South-Central PA or source for new unit

(Ugh, I see I botched my title and can't edit it. Obviously, that should be "shop suggestions". Hate when that happens!)

Title says it all. I have a solid original unit that needs to be recored and am looking for suggestions from people with experience using a shop in this area that did the job for them, or anyone with experience sourcing a new radiator outright. The preference would be to have the original recored to keep it with the car.

This is for a correct original car, but not a point judged car. We're not willing to forego the original fan in favor or an electric one, so anything new needs to have the fan well, and I've read where that can be an issue. As new goes, I've tried both Walker and U.S. Radiator and neither can accommodate.

Thanks!

-Walter
Old 07-28-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
50droptop

Default Re: '36 Radiator - looking for shop suggesting in South-Central PA or source for new

Give Brassworks a try. Their rads are duplicates of the original and are available with the tank recess to accommodate the fan.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
VeryTangled

Default Re: '36 Radiator - looking for shop suggesting in South-Central PA or source for new

I'll be interested to see what kind of recommendations you get. South Central PA is easy for me to get to.

I have a small-top 35 that could use spiffing up. It was pulled from my Fordor Touring.

I was very lucky to have a friend pick up a pristine one at the NSRA Nats in York last summer. It looked like a very old, unused, recore that had been lovingly protected during its travels. I installed it during an engine swap last fall. This one is working tip top so far.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 07:54 PM   #4
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50droptop View Post
Give Brassworks a try. Their rads are duplicates of the original and are available with the tank recess to accommodate the fan.
Another vote for Brassworks. Give Lee a call and he'll discuss everything. I'm running an 8ba in my '39 p/u so I didn't need the fan recess but he would have made one with it if I wanted. All the radiators are made to order, nothing off the shelf. No cheap but quality never is. If you''re an Alliance member over on the HAMB you'll get a discount.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #5
W_Higgins

Thanks for the input. I'm glad to hear the consistent praise for Brassworks. I'd like my thread to run a little longer hoping someone will have a shop in South-Central, PA (northern Maryland included) to recommend as a recore option, as well. It would be nice to keep the original unit with the car if practical.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
G.M.

There is a good radiator shop in Lancaster, Pa. That
recored 4 or 5 old Ford radiators for me. I don't
remember the name. G.M.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:43 PM   #7
Yoyodyne

Stoner Radiator Repair is just south of Lancaster at The Buck. Jack Stoner is a long time sole proprietor and does things the old school way. He repaired a T and a 36 PU radiator for me, as well as some late model and heavy equipment radiators. Excellent work. Last one I know of that doesn't just toss and replace, he gets old stuff to work on from several states away, but most are carried in, don't know if he'll ship.

1018 Lancaster Pike Quarryville, Pennsylvania 17566
717-284-4512

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone...45725232138403
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:09 AM   #8
hook00pad

Hey Yoyodyne, Do you happen to know of a garage in or around Lancaster, Pa. that was/is run by Al McMichaels? I knew him and his wife from Ft. Myers Fl, while wintering there.

Al Hook
hook00pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Yoyodyne

Sorry, no I don't.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:17 PM   #10
Tony, NY

I had Custom Auto Radiator in NJ build one a year ago. No complaints. Made it to my sketch. https://www.customautoradiator.com/
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote