Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-03-2019, 12:27 AM   #1
Sid

Default 15 inch wheels

Is there a 15" 5 on 4.5 B.p. wheel out there preferably fomoco with the nubs on the inner to accept the early center caps? I am talking like the late 50's early 60's Ford trucks had only the car 4.5 bolt pattern. 5" to 6" wide. I know mopar,Stude. and Rambler may also share the same bolt pattern and the early 50's Ford cars had the bumps on the outer to accept the dog dish caps. The dual pattern Chinese smoothies from Speedway shake like a wet dog after a bath.

Last edited by Sid; 07-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 15 inch wheels

I don't think there are OEM 14's out there that will take the older caps. I've had good luck with Wheel Vintiques and Wheelsmith wheels. They are made in America and they have the 14's that take the early caps.
I need to correct this comment, somehow I had 14's on the brain. If you can find some International Travel All wheels they should be 15's with the 4 1/2 bolt circle. They also have the inner bumps that will take the early V-8 caps from 40-48.

Last edited by TJ; 07-03-2019 at 12:23 PM. Reason: correct info
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:17 AM   #3
philipswanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
I don't think there are OEM 14's out there that will take the older caps. I've had good luck with Wheel Vintiques and Wheelsmith wheels. They are made in America and they have the 14's that take the early caps.
If you are looking for 15s, I know Wheelsmith can make 15s too. That's what I have but running the F100 wheels. Cooper tire makes a nice steel belted radial & smooth sided classic tire that allows you to get away from those high priced Diamondbacks & Cokers. And they are only $97 a piece at Discount if you don't mind running a blackwall.

Last edited by philipswanson; 07-03-2019 at 10:30 AM.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #4
Sid

I am running 185/70/15 on front of a model A. BF Goodrich 89S tires. These wheels were on the car when I bought it so I don't know the wheel manufacture. It felt like a tire had a balance issue so I pulled the front tires off to have them checked. They looked like a dog waggin his tail on the machine. I don't really care for the duel bolt pattern but from what I'm seeing if I want to run the early caps that's what I'm stuck with. I will be contacting wheelsmith.
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #5
51504bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
I am running 185/70/15 on front of a model A. BF Goodrich 89S tires. These wheels were on the car when I bought it so I don't know the wheel manufacture. It felt like a tire had a balance issue so I pulled the front tires off to have them checked. They looked like a dog waggin his tail on the machine. I don't really care for the duel bolt pattern but from what I'm seeing if I want to run the early caps that's what I'm stuck with. I will be contacting wheelsmith.
There was a set of 15's from a Galaxie on San Diego Craigslist. Probably won't have the correct hub cap mounting though.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
If you are looking for 15s, I know Wheelsmith can make 15s too. That's what I have but running the F100 wheels. Cooper tire makes a nice steel belted radial & smooth sided classic tire that allows you to get away from those high priced Diamondbacks & Cokers. And they are only $97 a piece at Discount if you don't mind running a blackwall.
Do they make those in 16”? And what are they called?
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 06:09 PM   #7
philipswanson

Ralph,

Yes they make them even in smoothies.

thewheelsmith.net/

Phil
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote