Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #1
road_king

Default Simmons Carb Parts

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a replacement float valve for my Simmons carburetor. It doesn't seem to be seating properly. I just got the car with the carburetor on it and I disassembled it because the GAV was stuck. I ran all parts through my ultrasonic, but the float valve just seems worn and not seating. Also when I was trying to straighten the idle jet I snapped it. I used one from a Zenith but the Simmons looks a tad longer. Thanks, I've included pics

road_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Simmons Carb Parts

As far as I know , no new parts are available for the Simmons carburetors. After cleaning the parts thoroughly, I install the needle and seat in the upper housing. I give the needle a firm but not too hard tap with a small hammer. The downward force of the hammer lick seats the needle to the seat good for me. Some use tooth past as a lapping compound. The hammer trick works best for me. The cast iron Simmons is my all time favorite carburetor.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-03-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: correct spelling.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
road_king

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
As far as I know , no new parts are available for the Simmons carburetors. After cleaning the parts thoroughly, I install the needle and seat in the upper housing. I give the needle a firm but not too hard tap with a small hammer. The downward force of the hammer lick seats the needle to the seat good for me. Some use tooth past as a lapping compound. The hammer trick works best for me. The cast iron Simmons is my all time favorite carburetor.
Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you would respond because you are the Simmons expert on here. I'll give it a try.

What happened was when I put it back on the car it was flooding out, so I removed it and adjusted the float tab. It still dripped a little, so I adjusted it more. What I ended up with was a float way out of level and not set properly. So I just took it off and put a rebuilt Zenith on for now. As far as the idle jet, do you think the Zenith is OK?

Thanks again
Old 10-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

Thanks for the kind words. I'm not an expert but I run and repair my Simmons carbs. The problem may be with the float. I set float level like I do with a Zenith. I either add or subtract gaskets under the needle seat to raise or lower the float. The Zenith idle jet may work, they are very similiar.
Old 10-03-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
chiliman

Purdy I have a Simmons carb with gas inlet in front on the top casting is this off a tractor? Every thing elese looks as if it will bolt right up on my A are they worth any thing? thanks
chiliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
gilitos

Also, Purdy, why is the Simmons your favorite? Sure looks similar to the Zenith
gilitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
Purdy Swoft

Chiliman and gilitos, Simmons made replacement carburetors for many different applications. Some Simmons carburetors were made for added performance and others were made for better fuel mileage. Some have smaller jets jets and different size venturi that doesn't flow as well. The alloy version is for economy but still has a high speed passage. There is a brass name tag riveted to the upper housing that says Simmons carburetor made for the model A Ford ,if it is actually for the model A and not some other application. The cast iron version is best for added performance. I prefer the Cast iron Simmons because it has a high speed passage similiar to the model B Zenith but is a more simple design and easier to work on for me . The model A simmons looks much like the model A Zenith but out performs the model A Zenith. The high speed passage aligns with a notch in the throttle shaft at about 3/4 wide open and allows manifold vacume to draw raw gas from the bowl of the carb. In other words it looks like a model A Zenith but performs more like the model B zenith . Some Zenith parts can be used. If you use the Zenith bowl gasket be sure and use a hole punch to make a hole in the gasket for the high speed passage. The high speed passage is on the right side of the venturi. The Simmons draws right through the passage instead of through a jet like the model B Zenith . I will post a pic of this passage. If the passage is blocked by the gasket, you will lose the high speed advantage.

Last edited by Purdy Swoft; 10-03-2013 at 09:29 PM. Reason: added punctuation.
Old 10-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
road_king

Wow, great info. I'm sure when I put it back together I was blocking the passage with the Zenith gasket I used. Now that its off the car I'll fix that tomorrow. Also tonight I cleaned the float valve again and also found that on the float tab where the needle valve sits it had an indention/nick on it and I think it was causing the valve to hang up on it. Because when I worked the float with the bottom half off and the top half on the car it was clicking/catching. I just thought it was the valve, but after a little filing its smooth as silk. I'll be putting it back on tomorrow with the high speed passage open..!!

Last edited by road_king; 10-03-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
chiliman

Mine has brass tag but it just says simmons and paton is it still a performance model thanks
Old 10-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #10
Purdy Swoft

I don't know. If it is cast iron and has the high speed passage I would think so. I rechecked and all of mine say Simmons carburetor - for model A Ford cars - the Simmons MFG. co. Cleveland O. Patent pending. There is very little published info that I know of .There was some articles in the restorer in the mid ninties and use to be the same stuff on model A org.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:36 PM   #11
road_king

I wish someone could re-publish that info from Restorer. Mine doesn't say for Model A, but it works on a Model A..
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Purdy Swoft

Other than the name plate yours looks just like mine.The lower half of yours looks a little rustier than the top half. I wondered if it was assembled from two carbs. The inside of your top half looks just like the one that I pictured, needle valve assy and all. there shouldn't be a problem.I have seen other Simmons carbs that were obviously not for the model A because the throttle arm was different and the gas line connection was different. There was a cast iron side bowl version for the 31 models . Joop had some Simmons carbs and parts pictured on the swap site the other day that may be interesting to look at. There was a pot metal version that was called the Simmons alloy that was an economy model that had a smaller main jet and venturi.Your carb is not the economy model Here is a few more pictures

The venturi on the left is for the cast iron model. the venturi on the right is the smallert

This shows the smaller inside diameter of the economy model venturi . There is no taper at the bottom of the economy venturi to help flow
Old 10-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
Purdy Swoft

Two different style needle valve assys were used on the cast iron models that are not interchangeable
Here is a cast iron upper casting with the different needle valve assy.
Here is a pic of the Simmons alloy economy model

Here are a few Simmons cores
Old 10-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #14
chiliman

mine is cast iron the needle vale looks as the pic above the venture looks like the one on the left will take a nether look tomorrow haven't tried on car yet looks to have been went threw