Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
3082a

Default Motometer rebuild

I have a really nice motometer with broken glass and a broken body and missing the nut on the bottom. It is the delux version. I know you can buy a brand new one probably cheaper but since this ones body is in such good shape I would like to rebuild it. More or less to say I did it��
Is anybody reproducing the thermometer, glass or the nut?
Any tricks or advise before starting on it?
3082a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #2
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso
Default Re: Motometer rebuild

I was trying to do the same thing but the suppliers don't sell the thermometer because they say it's too difficult to install it properly. If anyone knows where to buy the thermometer, let us know.

David Serrano
California Travieso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
springerpete

TAMS has them. 800-272-7871
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #4
California Travieso

Thanks, SpringerPete,

David Serrano
Old 09-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
3082a

I just called tams and they do not send the thermometer separate
Old 09-07-2017, 09:59 AM   #6
Terry, NJ

I asked this same question over a year ago and someone from the UK had someone who built them (Thermometer tubes) over there (Europe) But as I recall, the cost was too high to make it worthwhile. The nut, we had a young man here in the group who bought a tap and machined a few (I don't recall his name) Check the thread carefully, as it may be standard. Mine was either 7/16 X 20 or 1/2 X 20, but not all are these common thread sizes.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by California Travieso View Post
I was trying to do the same thing but the suppliers don't sell the thermometer because they say it's too difficult to install it properly. If anyone knows where to buy the thermometer, let us know.

David Serrano
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
Terry, NJ

I just got off the phone with TAMs and what they have is for the Quail only and they don't have them separately for the standard Motometer, DAMMIT I was hoping! But the lady I spoke with said she didn't know why they're getting so many call for this item! AHA! Is it too incredible for someone who has these very specialized skills to start cranking out a few?
Terry
Old 09-07-2017, 10:21 AM   #8
1955cj5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry, NJ View Post
I asked this same question over a year ago and someone from the UK had someone who built them (Thermometer tubes) over there (Europe) But as I recall, the cost was too high to make it worthwhile. The nut, we had a young man here in the group who bought a tap and machined a few (I don't recall his name) Check the thread carefully, as it may be standard. Mine was either 7/16 X 20 or 1/2 X 20, but not all are these common thread sizes.
Terry
Here is the listing for the special nut..he might have one left...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ight=motometer

Old 09-07-2017, 10:25 AM   #9
barnstuf

In the era of the Model A motometers came in two sizes, called Junior and Senior. The Model A used the Junior (smaller)" size and the Senior (larger) was used on the big cars and on trucks of the era. If your motometer is a Junior size it can have plain rims or wreath rims, which are interchangeable and are available. Also the glass lens is available as well as the face plates (with FORD or BOYCE name). The motometer manufacturers long ago discontinued selling the thermometer and it is my understanding they did so as so many folks installed them incorrectly and they did not work, or broke them and asked for free replacements. Whatever happened they are not sold separately except the thermometer for the thermo quail. You can restore your motometer with plain rims or with wreath rims. Check out Snyders catalogue or your favorite supplier for these mentioned parts. You will not find the thermometer or the nut available. Good luck!
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #10
California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnstuf View Post
In the era of the Model A motometers came in two sizes, called Junior and Senior. The Model A used the Junior (smaller)" size and the Senior (larger) was used on the big cars and on trucks of the era. If your motometer is a Junior size it can have plain rims or wreath rims, which are interchangeable and are available. Also the glass lens is available as well as the face plates (with FORD or BOYCE name). The motometer manufacturers long ago discontinued selling the thermometer and it is my understanding they did so as so many folks installed them incorrectly and they did not work, or broke them and asked for free replacements. Whatever happened they are not sold separately except the thermometer for the thermo quail. You can restore your motometer with plain rims or with wreath rims. Check out Snyders catalogue or your favorite supplier for these mentioned parts. You will not find the thermometer or the nut available. Good luck!
Barnstuf,

That's what I was told. Well, I guess it's back to the Swap meets to see if there might be a motometer with a good thermometer.

David Serrano
Old 09-07-2017, 02:25 PM   #11
slammin

I checked the swap meet thread, where John Duden was offering brass nuts for the Motometer last year. I wonder if they are a straight 7/16-27 thread, or a 1/8-27 tapered pipe thread, which does mic approx 7/16 near the big end of the taper. If John is no longer interested in producing them, I would if I new exactly what I was making. I'm a journeyman tool & die maker with 50 years experience and my own machine shop.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #12
Terry, NJ

Yes! Thats who I was trying to think, John Duden! John bought a tap in the correct size for the older one and would probably sell you, at minimal cost, one of these nuts. Now, I just went out and checked mine. It was 7/16 x 20. Just to be sure of something, I checked a new Vintique one that has never been used, Again 7/16 X 20. So if your's is the thread 1/8 X 27 nsp thread or some thing else that's not a common thread, it's old. If it's a common 7/16 X 20, it's a newer Vintique.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammin View Post
I checked the swap meet thread, where John Duden was offering brass nuts for the Motometer last year. I wonder if they are a straight 7/16-27 thread, or a 1/8-27 tapered pipe thread, which does mic approx 7/16 near the big end of the taper. If John is no longer interested in producing them, I would if I new exactly what I was making. I'm a journeyman tool & die maker with 50 years experience and my own machine shop.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:13 PM   #13
3082a

I have found the nut. Now I have a lead on getting a new thermometer made i the U.K. Lol
Old 09-07-2017, 05:35 PM   #14
MikeK

How many nuts does everyone need? A whopping 16 cents each. LINK

The original Junior used a 1/8-27 straight pipe thread and cast red brass gas-lamp pipe nuts. The unfinished side of pipe nuts was used to hold string packing against another fitting. On the Motometers they also originally used string packing to keep water from seeping through the cap.

These are a little different, used for electric lamps. They are chamfered on both sides. Use your own favorite sealer.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #15
springerpete

Sorry. I got one from them but it has been a few years. Guess the policy has changed since then.
springerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:43 PM   #16
slammin

I suspected that it was a 1/8-27 taper pipe thread and not a straight 7/16-27. The price really comes down when you make them by the thousands on an automatic screw machine. Buying the brass stock by the foot, material costs would be more than the 16 cents each from supply house. At least the forum has a source.
slammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 AM   #17
redmodelt

The Moto-Meter's I have worked on from the era had straight thread not pipe. I too bought a tap when I needed a nut for my junior model. I would have to go look but about 99% sure it's 7/16 27. I do not recall seeing any Moto-Meter with tapered threads. Remember Moto-Meter is a brand name. Not all cap mounted gauges are Moto-Meters. Maybe in other places and other types there was string packing but all I have seen is a rubber washer. Restoration Supply Co used to sell the replacement thermometer for the large model, don't know if they still do. They also have a number of different plates to fit in the meter.
Old 09-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #18
hazelhoff

Russel scientific in the UK rebuilds Boyce

Henk
hazelhoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #19
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmodelt View Post
The Moto-Meter's I have worked on from the era had straight thread not pipe. I too bought a tap when I needed a nut for my junior model. I would have to go look but about 99% sure it's 7/16 27. I do not recall seeing any Moto-Meter with tapered threads. . .

Just to add a bit of clarity here, not all pipe threads are tapered.

Straight pipe threads are in general designated as NPSC (National Pipe Straight Coupling) and further defined by ANSI/ASME into two categories:

NPSM - for mechanical joints, and NPSL - for locknut connections

Original Motometers were threaded to NPSL specs, then in common use for gas lamps. All connections required some type of packing or gasket.

Once common in the early 20th century hardware trade, the straight pipe threads have for the most part been forgotten. Today the term "pipe thread" automatically registers as 'tapered', designated as NPT. The only carryover today is in electric lamp fittings which still use the NPSC threads, often with a set screw rather than locknut.

Last edited by MikeK; 09-08-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #20
Terry, NJ

Don't confuse the two thread (Maybe 3) First off, there is the well known 1/8 X 27 (Tapered)
then there is a lesser known !/8 X 27 Straight Pipe thread. This thread is what they thread those tubes that hold the ceramic lamps together. You can buy nuts any good hardware store. Is it the same as the 7/16 X 27? I don't Know. But that ought to raise your confusion level!
Terry