Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #1
cas3

Default 34 coupe seat info please

the 5 gallon bucket is getting uncomfortable so i am in the planning stage of a real seat. i have a good base, made a new back already, have good sides for a pattern, and have a good original spring bottom. however, i dont know the size for the wood bottom of the seat spring. in the 34 resto book, on page d16 it shows a cabriolet body with a good view of the edge of the seat, and it looks like the wood actually extends past the front edge of the metal base. 3w seat is not exactly the same, but similar pan. so, correct me if wrong, but the back edge would would meet up to the bottom of the wood back rest, the sides would follow the metal pan shape but allow some room for upholstery, and the front would extend how far forward of the pans front edge? also short one seat track if anyone has too many, thanks skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0496.JPG (114.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0497.JPG (114.3 KB, 26 views)
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 12:54 AM   #2
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed
Default Re: 34 coupe seat info please

The wood extends past the frame only by 1/4 ,its 1/12 from the metal peg and the wood is 1.3/4 from the 1.1/8 hole in the wood . 18.1/4 front to back .13 " from the back its 391/2 wide , 40.3/8 wide at the rear and 401/8 at the front ,

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 10-13-2019 at 01:04 AM.
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 09:26 AM   #3
cas3

thank you ted, i am off to buy a new saw blade next
Old 10-13-2019, 03:00 PM   #4
cas3

while its hard to argue with the knowledgeable flathead ted, i am having issues, the numbers dont add up! see my photo with the springs sitting on the plywood. there i have drawn in pencil the layout, minus the "bulge" at the two front corners. you can see that the 39 1/2 at 13" from the back location, for one makes the angle of the side not parallel to the sides of the pan, and also the 13" from the back does not get past the metal sides. it looks like 38 1/2 at that point would get me close to parallel with the pan, but again the 13" would have to be more like 14 1/2 or so to get past the side boards to start the bulge. the bulge is shown on page 6-8 of the resto book, and also shown on the wood art site, looking up they're wood base. the second photo is another partial seat i have, shown in red is the 18 1/4 depth, and at the 13" point it does not clear the sides, and is 39" between the sides. at the furthest point forward on the sides it is about 38 3/4, and i assume i need 1/4" or so of space on each side for some clearance for the fabric. not a show car, i could just make it work, but i have searched many threads here, the hamb, and the v8 club and i find much talk about the frame and sides, but nothing on this piece, so it would be good to have on record for the next guy looking. anyone else have a seat out of they're car? thoughts and comments? thanks, skip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0498.JPG (88.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0499.JPG (88.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-13-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Someone on the HAMB made a pattern off an original a while back. I ordered a set from him. If you are interested in that as I remember there was a fairly detail thread also.

Not sure if this helps any or not, but here is the link I was thinking about. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...e-seat.574099/

Last edited by JSeery; 10-13-2019 at 07:29 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #6
cas3

thanks jerry, yes i have seen that thread, its from 2011 and the guy was overwhelmed with requests for patterns and at some point in the thread it seems he does try to emphasize that he is not trying to get into just patterns, he wants to sell seats. i have not written the man. there are 3 people kinda near me with complete cars i could drive to, i just thought in the world wide forum some one may have the piece easily accessible to measure, or photograph. on that note, flathead ted, are you measuring an actual seat base, or going from some notes you had written down? thanks all for the effort
Old 10-13-2019, 07:59 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

I have his pattern set somewhere, was going to use it and then my son decided to head in a different direction. I could try and find them if you have any interest.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 08:04 PM   #8
cas3

if you have time to look for it i would be excited to buy it, copy it, see it here or what ever you wish!
Old 10-13-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
FlatheadTed

Cas I have the base here but sorry its a original sedan one though ,the 391/2 at 13.1/2 ,this could be 13 as it starts to roll out at the point because its a sedan base the sides taper in slightly so your 18 is going to be closer ,Cabriolet uses the same floor .

Old 10-13-2019, 11:02 PM   #10
FlatheadTed

We helped do a Cabriolet seat here ,we started with a sedan metal base and straightened the sides with the kit from macs, this would mean the bulge would be different on the base, don't have the specks at this point ,

Old 10-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
cas3

thanks ted, yes i believe all the floors are the same, but seat pans are model specific
Old 10-14-2019, 07:40 PM   #12
FlatheadTed

Yes I agree ,do you have the drawings yet ,if not Your post 4 were you suggest maybe you could follow the out line of your frame with a 1/4 clearance maybe 3/8 ,with the bulge measurement modified , I would imagine its a difficult part to make unless you had the mortis machine s wood equipment,

Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 PM   #13
cas3

hi ted, no patterns yet, i may just "wing it" . i plan to just use plywood, but i see in the photos of the real deal it has about a 1/4" routered edge around the sides and front, and i wonder why? i assume you would pull the fabric over the edge and staple to the bottom, so why the edge cut in like that? again, not a show car but i like to try to be "close" when i can !
Old 10-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #14
FlatheadTed

The routed edge is to take the fabric edging for a tacking strip that gets it lower or flush ,I would say there sowing was precise ,they tacked along there then pulled it to the back ,

Old 10-14-2019, 09:08 PM   #15
FlatheadTed

The bulge is a 6" circle ,need to modify it ,if the base is pulled forward on the pegs you get a 1" over hang