Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-27-2013, 05:52 AM   #1
Kevin in NJ

Default I need quick help Please, Factory glass dimensions

I bought some new glass from Vintage Glass for my slant window cabriolet.

The glass they sent was not right the windshield is about 1/4" shorter leaving only about 1/16" overlap on each side.

The side glass is just not close and does not look to fit any cabriolet.

Here is their reply:

OE NAG #’s cut were correct ,,, maybe you don’t own a 31 Ford ?

FORD OE BOOK:
w/s was 552 for ALL ’31 models w/ slanting w/s
and doors were 403 for ALL ’31 Cabriolets.

Being that the correct Ford OE part #’s were cut the only thing
left to do is send us patterns in which we can scan and compare
to other glass sizes of and around that year to determine more.

So could someone please point me to the factory dimensions the door window glass and the windshield. The only thing I have located quickly was the early dimensions in the service bulletins. I thought there was a better resource some wheres else.

Thanks.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
eystein

Default Re: I need quick help Please, Factory glass dimensions

Kevin, why don't you just measure up your frames and have the glass cut locally ?
eystein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
Kevin in NJ

I went with the this company because I found some positive comments and they do the side glass in tempered. The local guys would only work with laminated side glass for a lot more money.

Plus they were cock sure they had all the flat glass patterns in a computer controlled cutter. So what could go wrong?

I should add my initial letter as it included dimensions. For computer cut glass I expected the side dimensions to be exactly the same.

Hello,

I got my glass today and I am very disappointed.

The side glass is not for my car at all! I have attached pictures of the glass you shipped and the door window frames for my car. The shape and size are clearly not for my car, for that matter I am sure they are not 28-31 Ford.

The windshield glass is also improperly sized. I put the glass I took out of an original frame (no it was not original Ford glass) on top of the glass you shipped and noticed it felt about 1/4 narrower.

The old glass measures 43 9/16 top, 42 3/4 bottom, 12 7/16 side, 12 1/2 side.

Your glass measures 43 3/8 top, 42 7/16 bottom, 12 3/8 side, 12 7/16 side.

Your glass has about 1/16" overlap on each side of the factory windshield frame at the base. That is not enough overlap to install the glass and have it stay.

I have 3 pieces of glass I can not use for my car. What do we do?

Thanks
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Napa Skip

The January/February 1992 issue of The Restorer has an article entitled "National Auto Glass Specifications" by Jack Rohan Jr., that lists the NAGS patterns (where the glass is rectangular the exact dimensions are shown) as well as the block size (the size from which patterned glass is to be cut) by model and year. According to the author, this information was extracted from a 1940's catalog and he goes on to state that "...many older glass shops might still have these NAGS patterns..."

There may be other sources for Model A glass patterns/dimensions.
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #5
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

I guess you need to wait and see what they do. Since the cabbie is a "rare" type yours in most likely the first they have done using the information they had on hand. I would hope that now that you have given them the measurements in your letter they will make good.

You might also want to send them this link from MARC to show them that the slant window was only made in '31.
http://www.modelaford.org/technical/...s30-31open.asp

Good luck, remember that any merchant can look good when things work well but the proof of an exceptional merchant is how well he handles things when things go wrong. (My Dad told me this a long time ago).
Old 06-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Craig Lewis

The original NAGS (referred to by skip) only lists the block size for slant window cars.
Unfortunately block size is for cutting and billing info where it lists a square cornered piece required to make that window, taken up to the nearest even inch.
You may need to make templates from a thin rigid material such as door skin or similar thin paneling, then take a little extra time to install the patterns in your car as if they were glass to be sure they work well.
Leave these patterns with a glass shop you trust and they can order the correct tempered side windows and have the windshield cut from AS-1 laminated.
*For the record corrogated cardboard will "grow" over 1/8" per foot if taken from a dry climate to a moist climate...this has caused me issues in the past when ordering tempered.
Also it's not uncommon for glass to be cut inaccurately and in fact the tempering facility I order from in BC has "got it wrong" numerous times. The bonus of having a rigid pattern in hand, is you can immediately check their work before taking possession.
You might also consider cleaning the glass and checking for scratches before paying.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Lewis View Post
The original NAGS (referred to by skip) only lists the block size for slant window cars.
Unfortunately block size is for cutting and billing info where it lists a square cornered piece required to make that window, taken up to the nearest even inch.
You may need to make templates from a thin rigid material such as door skin or similar thin paneling, then take a little extra time to install the patterns in your car as if they were glass to be sure they work well.
Leave these patterns with a glass shop you trust and they can order the correct tempered side windows and have the windshield cut from AS-1 laminated.
*For the record corrogated cardboard will "grow" over 1/8" per foot if taken from a dry climate to a moist climate...this has caused me issues in the past when ordering tempered.
Also it's not uncommon for glass to be cut inaccurately and in fact the tempering facility I order from in BC has "got it wrong" numerous times. The bonus of having a rigid pattern in hand, is you can immediately check their work before taking possession.
You might also consider cleaning the glass and checking for scratches before paying.
Sounds like solid advice!
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
mot

kev
as you know all slant window windshields are the same
if you cant find a good pattern,i will take one of my windows apart and make a copy of the glass and send it to you on brown paper
you could then trace it on panel board or what ever you have and trial fit it in your frame
tom
mot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
jw hash

Kevin & Tom I have an original glass that is already out. I can make you a pattern and send it to you. Tom are you going to Bend. I trying to have my A400 done for the meet. John
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote