Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-23-2022, 05:54 PM   #1
dorvedahl47pu

Default Singing Carburetor

Good evening,

I rebuilt a Holley 94 and when I ran the engine with this carb installed, the carb emits a very loud high-pitched whistling whining sound. The carb works great as the engine runs great. Has anyone ever had this issue before?

Thanks.

Dale
dorvedahl47pu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 05:57 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Singing Carburetor

The whistle sound is coming from the front screw between the base and carburetor body.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:28 PM   #3
Daves55Sedan

I'm guessing this is a 51 - 53 Ford F1 with flathead and 8BA carb, similar to the '54 Ford EBU and later '55 - 56 Holley 2100-2110 series carbs (ECG).
If so, the whistling noise is often a vacuum leak which can be checked by spraying light oil or carb-cleaner all around the carb base while engine is running. If the whistle stops, then starts again after the fluid is sucked in through the gasket, you have found your leak.
If I remember these carbs right, it can also occur at the front screw under the valve body that fastens the valve body to the main body of the carb. This is where the power valve recess is located. Sometimes the threads can get stripped out bad enough that the scre2 won't hold anymore. The threaded hole is in the bottom of the main body.
I have successfully drilled out and tapped with the next larger size metric thread and used a new metric bolt with 7/16" hex head.
If you need that drill and thread size, PM me and I will look it up. Be real careful to get the drill and tap going in straight. Don't drill into the carb float bowl.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #4
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
I'm guessing this is a 51 - 53 Ford F1 with flathead and 8BA carb, similar to the '54 Ford EBU and later '55 - 56 Holley 2100-2110 series carbs (ECG).
If so, the whistling noise is often a vacuum leak which can be checked by spraying light oil or carb-cleaner all around the carb base while engine is running. If the whistle stops, then starts again after the fluid is sucked in through the gasket, you have found your leak.
If I remember these carbs right, it can also occur at the front screw under the valve body that fastens the valve body to the main body of the carb. This is where the power valve recess is located. Sometimes the threads can get stripped out bad enough that the scre2 won't hold anymore. The threaded hole is in the bottom of the main body.
I have successfully drilled out and tapped with the next larger size metric thread and used a new metric bolt with 7/16" hex head.
If you need that drill and thread size, PM me and I will look it up. Be real careful to get the drill and tap going in straight. Don't drill into the carb float bowl.
The early 94 carbs will whistle. Not just the 8ba carbs and later.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:34 AM   #5
dorvedahl47pu

Thank you, gentlemen. I will check for air leaks as suggested. Have a great old Ford day!
dorvedahl47pu is offline   Reply With Quote