Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Matej1991

Default Ford Model 40 Standard/Deluxe

Good day. Can you please write me other differences between Standard and Deluxe? Deluxe had two horns, windshield chrome frame, pinstriping, cowl lights and two tail lights. What were the other differences?
Matej1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:43 AM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Ford Model 40 Standard/Deluxe

Dlx: ashtray,cigar lighter,rear seat ashtray.2 visors,woodgrain garnish and dash.Window winder handle knobs were woodgrain soybean' I believe that STD and Deluxe both had pinstriping.

Last edited by deuce lover; 08-10-2022 at 09:12 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:17 AM   #3
Matej1991

Ashtrays that were in the back so were they on each side or was there only one? I noticed that there are handles that are on the inside of the door in two different places. Does it have anything to do with Standard and Deluxe?
Old 08-10-2022, 12:11 PM   #4
deuce lover

Only one on the right side but another could be added.'33 and early '34 had the handle near the front.Later it was in the center. In '34 the garnish mouldings were different Dlx and Std.I believe that Dlx coupes and sedans had a rear window shade.
Old 08-10-2022, 03:09 PM   #5
L-head

Standard model has a different instrument cluster with different color on the gauge faces, door handles on the interior are different shape and color, and only 1 taillight on the left side (some states required both rear fenders to have them), headlight rims are painted, grill and hood are different, and hub caps are different. They did have ash trays on both sides of the dash.

Last edited by L-head; 08-10-2022 at 03:14 PM. Reason: misunderstood question on 40 Fords
L-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
L-head

please delete

Last edited by L-head; 08-10-2022 at 03:13 PM. Reason: misunderstood question on 40 Fords
L-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:19 PM   #7
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-head View Post
Standard model has a different instrument cluster with different color on the gauge faces, door handles on the interior are different shape and color, and only 1 taillight on the left side (some states required both rear fenders to have them), headlight rims are painted, grill and hood are different, and hub caps are different. They did have ash trays on both sides of the dash.

The OP question was for the Model 40 which is 1933 & 1934,Not 1940.
Old 08-10-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
Matej1991

Thank you for the information. Because the Deluxe version is hard to find. Most have been converted from Standard to Deluxe. To the door handles. When it was the 1933 version, there was a rope on the door so that the door could be closed better. What was in the later 1934 models? Because the rope couldn't be put there. If you are from Europe do you own a 1932-1934 Ford?
Old 08-10-2022, 05:55 PM   #9
DavidG

Ford had a hard time making up its mind during the '33 and '34 model years about inside door closure assists. Initially in U.S. production of the '33s, the deluxe closed cars and cabriolets used leather-covered pull cords carried over from '32 deluxe coupes and standard models used a nickel-plated ring. When the left-over '32 cords were used up, the deluxe bodies then were equipped with the nickel-plated rings, like the standard models. On '34 deluxe closed cars and cabriolets, initially a new leather-covered cords with new end brackets were used and standard closed cars had door window garnish moldings with a stamped-in raised area for use for door closure. When the inside door handles were relocated from near the front of the door to the center of the door, the assist cords were eliminated.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:08 AM   #10
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matej1991 View Post
Thank you for the information. Because the Deluxe version is hard to find. Most have been converted from Standard to Deluxe. To the door handles. When it was the 1933 version, there was a rope on the door so that the door could be closed better. What was in the later 1934 models? Because the rope couldn't be put there. If you are from Europe do you own a 1932-1934 Ford?

I sent you a private message.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:00 AM   #11
Matej1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Ford had a hard time making up its mind during the '33 and '34 model years about inside door closure assists. Initially in U.S. production of the '33s, the deluxe closed cars and cabriolets used leather-covered pull cords carried over from '32 deluxe coupes and standard models used a nickel-plated ring. When the left-over '32 cords were used up, the deluxe bodies then were equipped with the nickel-plated rings, like the standard models. On '34 deluxe closed cars and cabriolets, initially a new leather-covered cords with new end brackets were used and standard closed cars had door window garnish moldings with a stamped-in raised area for use for door closure. When the inside door handles were relocated from near the front of the door to the center of the door, the assist cords were eliminated.
When you wrote deluxe closed cars, were they only coupe models? Because tudor and fordor used cloth ropes. Or am I wrong? Because these ropes were used for fordor from the back of the driver's seat.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:07 AM   #12
Matej1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
I sent you a private message.
Excuse me, but I can't reply because I don't have 10 posts to reply.
Old 08-11-2022, 03:37 AM   #13
DavidG

"Closed cars" includes coupes, sedans, and Vlctorias. Are you referring to the robe rail attached to the back the front seat on a deluxe fordor sedans? I was referring to the pulls on the doors.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #14
Matej1991

Quote:
"Closed cars" includes coupes, sedans, and Vlctorias. Are you referring to the robe rail attached to the back the front seat on a deluxe fordor sedans? I was referring to the pulls on the doors.
I know what you mean, but I've never seen a car that has a cloth interior with leather ropes. All 1933/1934 Ford Model 40's had cloth cords as they were on the back of the driver's seat. Excuse me, but I'm from Europe, that's why I'm writing things that I saw in the photos.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
DavidG

Yes, the Fordor seat back robe rails (cords) were woven fabric like the assist straps on the interior of the B pillars. The door pull cords were the ones covered in leather or artificial leather.
Old 08-11-2022, 04:02 PM   #16
jimTN

I would like to see some pics of the door cords and the raised area garnish moldings if someone could please post them.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 09:30 PM   #17
Matej1991

Quote:
Yes, the Fordor seat back robe rails (cords) were woven fabric like the assist straps on the interior of the B pillars. The door pull cords were the ones covered in leather or artificial leather.
Thank you for the information. Can you tell me if this information is correct? Ford Model A/B/18 had fenders with spare wheel well. Were these fenders still in use in 1934?
I read somewhere that the Model 40 had a light in the dash like Ford Model A had.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:48 PM   #18
Matej1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimTN View Post
I would like to see some pics of the door cords and the raised area garnish moldings if someone could please post them.
I don't know if it will help you. But there are more photos and details.

https://www.schmitt.com/inventory/19...-40-cabriolet/
Old 08-11-2022, 11:27 PM   #19
DavidG

In North American production, side-mounted spare tires/wheels were a production option through the '34 model year.

Like '33s and '32s, the instruments of the '34 model vehicle were lighted from the rear via a single 3 c.p. bulb mounted above the speedometer. There were no lights on the interior side of the instrument panel other than the dome lamp on closed cars.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:21 AM   #20
deuce lover

Matej1991, If you have great interest in the Model 40 I suggest you purchase the 1933-34 restoration book from the V8 Ford Club website. You do not need to be a member to purchase and they will ship internationally. This book is a great source of information and has many pictures.Most of ,if not all your questions will be answered.

I just looked and it is not currently available.