Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-24-2020, 09:25 AM   #1
satfix

Default Bad Speedometer cable or...

Good morning all - I took my 52 F1 out this morning and while driving, the speedometer started going erratic. City driving so not going fast - maybe 35. It started jumping back and forth. When I stop, it goes back down to zero.

Before I start looking - is this symptomatic of a bad speedometer cable or is it the speedometer gear in transmission?

Thoughts? Tips? Suggessions?

Thanks
satfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Tony, NY

Default Re: Bad Speedometer cable or...

I would say it has to do with the cable. Lubing will most likely help. Or needs replacing, if it's like a regular speedo cable.
Tony, NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #3
tubman

The speedometer in my '51 worked well all summer. When the temperatures got down below 40, it started jumping around. I pulled the cable out, cleaned it, and lubed it with the proper lube and the problem was solved.

So it's probably the cable. You don't have a location listed so it's impossible to know, but if it's getting colder where you are, it's probably the same thing that happened to me.

It's always helpful to know where you're located. You don't have to get specific, even your state will do.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:07 AM   #4
satfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
The speedometer in my '51 worked well all summer. When the temperatures got down below 40, it started jumping around. I pulled the cable out, cleaned it, and lubed it with the proper lube and the problem was solved.

So it's probably the cable. You don't have a location listed so it's impossible to know, but if it's getting colder where you are, it's probably the same thing that happened to me.

It's always helpful to know where you're located. You don't have to get specific, even your state will do.
Sorry - South Carolina : Columbia. It was chilly this morning. So, to lube it - disconnect it on both ends. completely remove it - clean and lube.

Since I've never done it, can you offer some advice on how to go about it? I assume I disconnect from transmission and speedometer - does the internal cable come out of the housing? or do I lubricate the ends ?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #5
tubman

Mine is a car not a truck, but I was able to remove the cable housing from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable itself out. Once it's out, it's a simple matter to put some solvent on a rag and get it clean. Then apply some specialized speedometer cable lube according to the instructions on the container. A couple of things to be aware of are using the wrong type of lube and putting to much on. The wrong type of lube may gum things up and cause more problems and over-lubing may cause some of the lubricant to migrate up to the speedometer head, which ain't pretty.

It may take some fiddlin' to get the cable back into the housing and fully seated at the connectors, but it's not a bad job. (It's probably easier on a truck than a car). It's just car maintenance 101.

Good luck on your project.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #6
satfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Mine is a car not a truck, but I was able to remove the cable housing from the back of the speedometer and pull the cable itself out. Once it's out, it's a simple matter to put some solvent on a rag and get it clean. Then apply some specialized speedometer cable lube according to the instructions on the container. A couple of things to be aware of are using the wrong type of lube and putting to much on. The wrong type of lube may gum things up and cause more problems and over-lubing may cause some of the lubricant to migrate up to the speedometer head, which ain't pretty.

It may take some fiddlin' to get the cable back into the housing and fully seated at the connectors, but it's not a bad job. (It's probably easier on a truck than a car). It's just car maintenance 101.

Good luck on your project.
Thanks.

So if I understand correctly - just pull the internal cable out and don't remove the cable housing itself? I assume I'll need to disconnect the speedometer cable from both ends however? I've looked and both sides are accessible with little effort.

I'll go to parts store and get the lube and then check back later.

Thanks again

Rich
Old 11-24-2020, 11:19 AM   #7
tubman

You should only have to remove the housing that holds the cable to the back of the speedometer and the cable itself should just pull out. Both ends of the cable are flattened into a square shape and just fit into a square sockets on the drive gear and the back of the speedometer. The housing is held onto the back of the speedometer by a large knurled nut that is supposed to be removeable by hand. (I have arthritis and had to use a pair of pliers to break mine loose.)

Remember that i am describing a '51 Ford car; the truck may be different, but I don't think so.
Old 11-24-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
Bill OH

Just disconnect housing at the speedometer, pull cable out, clean and lube it and put cable back into housing and reconnect to speedometer. Your done!
Bill OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:47 AM   #9
Willit Stop

Avoid kinks in the housing. Smooth curves are best.
Willit Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
VeryTangled

Have a couple of rags handy when you're pulling the inner cable out of the sleeve, if you're lucky the cable will be lubed, but it's likely to be nasty and will want to get on your interior.

In my experience the ends are square while the center portion is round. When inserting it into the outer cable going towards the trans you should be able to feel it mate into the trans, then do the same at the spedo head end.

Have you thought about supporting the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum?
VeryTangled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:19 PM   #11
satfix

Ok - got it! I bought Lithium grease to do the job. I'll pay attention to not using too much and, well - wish me luck!
Old 11-24-2020, 01:40 PM   #12
19Fordy

Support the cable with a plastic wire tie so that at least 4 to 6 inches of it feeds straight
into the speedometer. Sometimes a drooping speedo cable will cause dysfunction.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #13
satfix

Update: So, all done! I disconnected cable from gauge. It took a bit to get it out, but eventually the cable popped out (there's a little bushing at the spedo side).. I pulled it completely out. Cleaned it and sprayed some lithium grease in the housing and then on the cable and wiped the excess off.

I had issues getting it back in. It slid in to the transmission, but couldn't get it to drop back in - so under the truck i crawled and disconnected it at the transmission. I got the cable in position and then reconnected to the transmission. That was the hardest part as I don't have jacks, lift, or garage. But after a few expletives and a few tries, I was able to get it threaded on and back together.

Test drive went well - the speedometer was jumpy but it was accurate to speed (measured with iphone map speed indicator)...

The ONLY issue I have is when I stop, it doesn't drop back to 0MPH. If I tap the gauge, it will fall back down - so QUESTION:

Is the gauge simply a little dirty and can I just spray a small bit of Kroil or lithium grease in to help it? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks for everyones help on this!

Rich
Old 11-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #14
1948F-1Pickup

I did them both in my F-1. The cable being lubricated helped
immensely and the speedo being cleaned & lubed fixed it up
to about 100%.
You'll want a light "clock" oil for the speedo. I used a general
light synthetic oil on mine.
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:41 PM   #15
satfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
I did them both in my F-1. The cable being lubricated helped
immensely and the speedo being cleaned & lubed fixed it up
to about 100%.
You'll want a light "clock" oil for the speedo. I used a general
light synthetic oil on mine.
Thanks re- the light clock oil...

update - I just got back from a run to the parts store and the speedo started acting up again - it settled down and stayed close to speed (but still jittery).. Is it an issue of not enough lubricant or too much? I sprayed the Lithium grease on it and then wiped it off - should I spray it and leave it as it lays? I was concerned of over lubricating.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2020, 04:05 PM   #16
Jersey Devil

Next I would replace the whole speedometer cable. There is a possibility that the inner cable is hanging up on the speedometer casing. You can also put a few drops of light oil into the rear of the speedometer.

With the cable removed you can get your finger to move the speedometer needle to see if it moves slowly and returns to zero.

Tom

Hopefully that will solve the issue.
Jersey Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 04:06 PM   #17
satfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Devil View Post
Next I would replace the whole speedometer cable. There is a possibility that the inner cable is hanging up on the speedometer casing. You can also put a few drops of light oil into the rear of the speedometer.

With the cable removed you can get your finger to move the speedometer needle to see if it moves slowly and returns to zero.

Tom

Hopefully that will solve the issue.
Thanks Tom (and everyone else!)

I'll try the oil tomorrow in the gauge - if that doesn't help, I'll order a new speedometer cable.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #18
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill OH View Post
Just disconnect housing at the speedometer, pull cable out, clean and lube it and put cable back into housing and reconnect to speedometer. Your done!
A simple exercise. Certainly not rocket science.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:18 PM   #19
1948F-1Pickup

Brush the speedo internals gently, compressed air then and lube sparingly.
I hated that ridiculous loop at the far end of the cable by the trans and I
installed a 90-degree adapter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2028.jpg (61.7 KB, 56 views)
1948F-1Pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #20
satfix

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1948F-1Pickup View Post
Brush the speedo internals gently, compressed air then and lube sparingly.
I hated that ridiculous loop at the far end of the cable by the trans and I
installed a 90-degree adapter.
I really like that 90 degree adapter!