Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #1
RalphG

Default Jailbar Woody

It might not be news to some but this is the first photo I have seen of a jailbar Ford truck with the woody wagon body.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jailbar woody.jpg (75.3 KB, 272 views)
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #2
Mart

Default Re: Jailbar Woody

Interesting. It looks pretty smart.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
AnthonyG

I want one
Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 PM   #4
Jack E/NJ

I think somebody on the barn might have a fake one. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #5
mhsprecher

There was a company that made Dodge and Ford truck woodies. I saw an article in a magazine about a Dodge. I will need to look it up.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

You might even be able to google images of all kinds of truck woodies. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Old 02-18-2018, 10:12 PM   #7
alanwoodieman

Cambell of NY?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Jack E/NJ

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939

Jack E/NJ
Old 02-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #9
Jack E/NJ

Jailbars are nice but I think I'd rather have this one. Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood.jpg (55.9 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:07 PM   #10
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
It might not be news to some but this is the first photo I have seen of a jailbar Ford truck with the woody wagon body.
Obviously a fake. Everyone knows ford woodie wagons were a four door. I see no rear door handle on this poser......
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:35 PM   #11
RalphG

Here is another slightly newer Ford. Found on the hamb.
And another possibility, Hercules Campbell. http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/h/herc...s_campbell.htm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg campbellwoodie.jpg (27.7 KB, 70 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 AM   #12
fasi

There is a very nice "jailbar" Woody in Cedar, MI. Was built by Mike Nickles of Traverse City. Sorry no pictures available.
fasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB SISSON View Post
Obviously a fake. Everyone knows ford woodie wagons were a four door. I see no rear door handle on this poser......
Wow, nice work on the woody GB. I totally missed that thread but I see you have been there and done that with a nice finished product.
I learned to drive on a 2 ton jailbar Ford so they always catch my eye. Mine is mostly yard art now though.
And while on the subject, here is a shot of my dad and an army buddy standing in front of a 40? Ford woody wagon. I think this would have been taken in Shiloh, Manitoba, Canada, 1942.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L Goff and Fraser (1 of 1).jpg (46.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #14
GB SISSON

Thanks Ralph, I was of course joking about the first photo being a fake. There are no fake jailbar woodie wagons. The ones that do exist were either built by companies like your literature shows, or by small local shops or by renegade woodie nuts such as myself. There are no ford factory built jailbar woodie wagons that I'm aware of.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
Old 02-19-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
woodiewagon46

Gb, no it's not a fake. I have seen that photo before on a couple of "Woodie" sites. Ford did not build wagons on a commercial chassis. Campbell would take a stock Ford chassis' and build custom bodies to your spec. The reason you don't see a door handle is that they probably did not request an opening rear door. Campbell would make anything from "Paddy Wagons" to anything required for field work etc.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #16
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Jailbars are nice but I think I'd rather have this one. Jack E/NJ
Had a close look at this '37 picture. Think it's a custom build RHD. RHD wiper,steering wheel and spare tire. Left rear door wood open at the curb. Also the structural wood shows no evidence of any decorative milling. All in all a very nice build. Am I the only one who noticed this?
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM   #17
woodiewagon46

Bill, it's also on a commercial chassis. I don't know if that was the norm in places like Australia or Europe, so it could be a "phantom" Woodie. It looks like it is done very nicely.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:18 PM   #18
Jack E/NJ

A Ford fake maybe. But probably not a phantom. I think found on a link in one of the earlier barn links posted above. Jack E/NJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wood-l.jpg (55.7 KB, 40 views)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #19
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Had a close look at this '37 picture. Think it's a custom build RHD. RHD wiper,steering wheel and spare tire. Left rear door wood open at the curb. Also the structural wood shows no evidence of any decorative milling. All in all a very nice build. Am I the only one who noticed this?
While I did not notice the rhd stuff, I did notice the lack of decorative milling on the frame. Still a very nice truck!
Old 02-19-2018, 08:29 PM   #20
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
A Ford fake maybe. But probably not a phantom. I think found on a link in one of the earlier barn links posted above. Jack E/NJ
And Presto all of a sudden it's a LHD wagon. I give up! Bill
Old 02-19-2018, 09:03 PM   #21
GB SISSON

What is the definition of a phantom? Is that what my 'one off' is?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #22
tubman

My definition of a "Phantom" is a vehicle that could have been produced by the manufacturer but wasn't, and then made up by a skilled hobbyist with a good understanding of the marque being cloned.

"Cloned" is not really what I mean here, but I can't think of the proper word; anybody got a better term?
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:08 PM   #23
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
My definition of a "Phantom" is a vehicle that could have been produced by the manufacturer but wasn't, and then made up by a skilled hobbyist with a good understanding of the marque being cloned.

"Cloned" is not really what I mean here, but I can't think of the proper word; anybody got a better term?
Modified? So a good example would be someone taking a mid 40s chevrolet convertible and making a 'sportsman' or 'town and country' out of it.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:17 PM   #24
tubman

Quote:
Modified? So a good example would be someone taking a mid 40s chevrolet convertible and making a 'sportsman' or 'town and country' out of it.
Maybe, but I think that Chevrolet DID make a post war convertible "woody". I think I remember reading about it a long time ago. (You know that that means.)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:31 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Quote:
Maybe, but I think that Chevrolet DID make a post war convertible "woody". I think I remember reading about it a long time ago. (You know that that means.)
Means it had an ohv six?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 PM   #26
tubman

A quick "Google" search found this :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chev Woody.jpg (46.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #27
woodiewagon46

The definition for a "Phantom Woodie" is a vehicle such as a sedan or what was possibly a pick up truck as pictured in post #9, that is made into a Woodie. Having followed and owned Woodies for many years I have seen several very nice examples. If you don't know Woodies, you could not tell that they never left the factory that way. Some car shows that have a Woodie Class give an award for best "Phantom".
Old 02-20-2018, 09:51 AM   #28
GB SISSON

Quote:
A quick "Google" search found this :
So, is this a phantom or the rare chevy?
Old 02-20-2018, 10:41 AM   #29
Bill

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=175939 This wood be a phantom jailbar woodie. Yours is also a phantom. Took a pic of a '39 Ford Phantom here in North Port Fl this AM unfortunately since the new server I cant post pics. That Chevy has what is called a Country Club option which was dealer installed on coupes and convertibles. Got to figure out how to shrink files. HMMM. Bill
Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #30
Bill

Try this...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM   #31
sidevalve8ba

This is a bit OT but I understand this beauty turned up in Brazil.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BrazilianFordspartdos_700.jpg (61.0 KB, 24 views)
Old 02-20-2018, 12:51 PM   #32
tubman

Quote:
So, is this a phantom or the rare chevy?
I honestly don't know; Never was much of a "Bow-Tie" man; I'm sure someone knows. The one in the picture sure looks more like restoration than a "Hot Rod" though.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:17 PM   #33
woodiewagon46

The wood on the Chevrolet pictured in post #26 is what is called a "Country Club Wood Kit". It was available thru special order from some Chevrolet dealers. The kit was an attempt to make'46 to '48 Chevy convertibles to look like the Ford Sportsman.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM   #34
Jack E/NJ

In other words, they really exist but are still just a fake factory-production models. Just like phantoms really exist (seems like an oxymoron to me) but still also fakes. 8^) Jack E/NJ
Old 02-20-2018, 09:12 PM   #35
GB SISSON

I love my fake woodie. I can bounce up and down my 1/2 mile of steep gravel road and haul the dog and grandkids in the back. Maybe even a dump run on Saturday afternoon. I went to a car show once and didn't really see the attraction. Just different strokes I guess, and that's a good thing in my book.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #36
cas3

i am not a car show guy either, heck i have my own show every day. hey GB, can we see some picks of your 59 with the cummins. i have had several , one was a 47 diamond T with the 5.9
cas3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:39 AM   #37
GB SISSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
i am not a car show guy either, heck i have my own show every day. hey GB, can we see some picks of your 59 with the cummins. i have had several , one was a 47 diamond T with the 5.9
Not in this thread, but on FTE in the '57-'60 section search 'kinda like a hot rod, but it isn't hot'.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:01 AM   #38
woodiewagon46

I don't have any issues with "phantom" Woodies. Over the years I have seen dozens of home made wagons. Some were very well done and looked like production vehicles. The National Woodie Club welcomes them all and I haven't heard anyone call them "fakes". In 1928 Ford made 5 pre production prototype Station Wagons. If you look at some of those pictures you can see body bolt holes in different locations, some bolts were added, there were changes in some of the brackets and the early cars had "lap joints' rather than finger joints on the wood work over the rear fenders. Between all the club's there are listed about 25 to 30, 1928 Station Wagons. Well, we know for a fact, that there were only 5 made. That's OK, if you choose to list your car as a '28 so be it. Drive it, show it and have a great time with it. BUT, if you know that it's not really a '28 and advertise it and try to sell it as a '28 that is what I call a FAKE.