Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-25-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
Scottio57

Default My car is worth it’s weight in,,,,,,,, tennis balls.

I have never understood why a stock model A may bring $ 15k but drop a v8 and auto in it and suddenly it’s worth twice as much. I don’t get it. Most of our cars are stock here. They have survived nearly a century and have seen or been so much history I think they should be way more valuable in original form. My T is even worse. It’s worth less than my A. Point is I just don’t understand why a modified antique cars is worth more than a stock one. It’s maddening.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:30 PM   #2
Greg Jones

Default Re: My car is worth it’s weight in,,,,,,,, tennis balls.

Seems like the American way of thinking has always been, bigger is better. If 4 cylinders are good, then 8 cylinders must be better. Hot rodding has been done since these cars rolled off the assembly line. Personally, I hate seeing Model T and Model A's get hot-rodded. It has been done a zillion times and my feeling is that if you want a muscle car, buy one for crying out loud. Why is it worth more? All that chrome, man.....I am with you, I am a stocker regardless of year, make, or model.
Greg Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 PM   #3
trulyvintage

Lightbulb Re: My car is worth it’s weight in,,,,,,,, tennis balls.

If you are looking to make money on T’s & A’s .....

We are talking about the wrong kind ....

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:02 PM   #4
Licensed to kill

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Yes I understand that well done hotrodded Model A's are worth more than well done restored model A's. So what?. I have both and, yes, my hotrodded ones are worth (and cost) a LOT more than my original one (actually by more than 3 times). If you want a hotrodded one, or want to build a hotrodded one, be prepared to pay more, a LOT more. If you want a stock Model A, be prepared to pay a LOT less. Not everyone that appreciated the style of the Model A wants to putt around at 45MPH hwy, sweat profusely in the summer and struggle to climb any significant hills in the road. Some like the style of the model A but like to be able to stay with traffic in air conditioned comfort. To each his own. I like both. My '31 pickup is easily the most uncomfortable thing I've ever driven being that I am 6'2" tall and the firewall is recessed 4" to accommodate the SBC. When people comment on it I just tell them
"if my main concern was comfort, In would be driving my 2012 Avalanche". The truck is still a hoot to drive.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
harleynut

License to kill, well said. Couldn't agree more. I have both. There both fun to drive. I got a stock four door Phaeton that's really tight behind the steering wheel and the street rod isn't much better. If your looking to get back what you put in either one of them, your in the wrong hobby. Just my opinion. Probably get flamed but so what.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:19 PM   #6
Scottio57

I have seen some beautiful hot rods and I can see the advantage of keeping up with traffic on the freeway and looking great doing it. My A has an OD and does ok but with 40 hp one can only do so much. I have folks coming up to me all the time saying my car is worth more than their house and I have to wander how many wheels are under their house.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #7
midgetracer

Touring with a group of stock Model As and driving a Street Rod is no fun. Touring with a bunch of Street Rods and driving a Model A is no fun. We should be able to appreciate all kinds of cars. I have one Street Rod and 8 Model A stockers. Each is fun, but if I am going more than 100 miles, I'll take the Street Rod. I spent more than twice money restoring(rodding) the street rod and the value is much greater. I love them all or I would not have built them. The sad part is the stockers are not as functional in today's trips and the younger folks enjoy the more comfort Rods provide. If you are restoring either type to make money, you are bound to be disappointed.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:33 PM   #8
Bill G

For years I have collected antique telephones. What drives a phone collector nuts are the guys who will buy a great old piece on e-Bay and then part the thing out and sell the parts. It is not uncommon for a phone to bring more as parts than the whole thing.

I have way more into my Model A than I can sell it for at this time, but my wife and I keep reminding each other that we are in it for the fun and not as an investment.

It always makes me laugh when people are offered a very reasonable price for something, and won't sell it, stating that they have more into it than the offer. I alway say that what a person has "invested" in "stuff" is often times irrelevant.

When it comes to cars, whether stock or hot rods, we buy in to not only the vehicle but the total experience.
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 PM   #9
Jw

American Graffiti, Hotrods Hot Rods, who wanted a deuce with a merc motor, or a 265,283, 327, fenderless, chrome wheels, wide whites, John Millner 32, my 34 Tudor is all stock, have a 31 coupe with a 39 trans, 53 flatty, cross steering, 35 wheels with wide whites, roll down back window, half the fun is building them as stockers or rods, next in line is a 330 Desoto hemi, 39 trans, A rearend with 3:27 gears, juice brakes, Buick drums with fins, 60 VW bug gas tank, hair pins, A frame, just need a body, Roadster or Tudor, fun times! DONT EVER CUT THE BODY THEN YOU CANT GO BACKWARDS TO BUILD A STOCKER
Jw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:42 PM   #10
1931 flamingo

Most people today want something they can get into, turn the key, put it in gear and go. I had my tudor "sold", no quibbling about the price, etc. Went for a ride, explained how to choke, adj GAV, double clutch, etc. Guy had zero mechanical ability, had lots of money. Never saw him again. He'd had his eyes on the car parked in the driveway for over two years. It is what it is.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:52 PM   #11
Scottio57

I know these old cars are not a good investment, specially my jeep. I have no intention of trying to make a killing on them or break even. I always thought antiques = valuable. I enjoy my model A and T very much and I love that other people enjoy them so much just by watching them go down the road or taking them for a ride. I guess that is the value. Making someone else happy. Huh. Who’d a thunk it. ��������
Old 01-26-2018, 11:11 PM   #12
michael a

I only have one person that I need to satisfy and that is me anybody else can kiss my foot I build my car's to my satisfaction and mine alone that goes along with the fact how much money I have in them it's nobody's business don't mean to be a horses butt that's just the way it is

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
michael a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
captndan

Yea, and my Chrysler is worth it’s weight in Ping-Pong balls.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #14
BILL WILLIAMSON

"Wonder" how many Hot Rods have cleaned & painted Junk Yard Motors, with added CHROME?
Bill Suspicious
Old 01-30-2018, 04:34 AM   #15
tinman080

I'm a firm believer in do what YOU like on YOUR car. A car is a car- is a car period. I'm perfectly happy with replica cars. Some wouldn't be caught dead in one. I also am perfectly happy in $10.00 jeans. If you like the REAL thing, go for it. Gary
Old 01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #16
Cool Hand Lurker

Most of us like the stuff we grew up with and never could buy. I always wanted a Model A and now I have one, original, fun, pain in the butt sometimes, but always happy when a kid stops walking and stares and laughs at the ahooga! And they are affordable.

I grew up with the 50's hot rods with Flathead V8 and always wanted one but they are way out of my price range now. And I don't want to follow the 350-350TH crowd with the white beard and pot belly and lots of $$$ to spend on a car that drives like new. If you actually drive it.
I don't like to see a restored original turned into something else but the facts are that there are more Model A cars now than there are people who want them. We are dying off with not enough people to sell an original to even if it is cheaper.
It is what it is. Totally different strokes for different folks.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #17
Jw

finally got it calculated for CAPTNDAN

1950 Chrysler Imperial
weight 4250 Curb weight
a ping pong ball weight 0.1 oz.
4250 x 16 = 68,000 ounces
68000 / .1 = 680000
100 ping pong balls for $23.90=.239 each
680000 x .239= $162520

did I do that correctly?, please advise
Old 01-31-2018, 04:26 PM   #18
Jw

ooops $16252
Old 01-31-2018, 06:38 PM   #19
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jw View Post
ooops $16252

Yeah, 680,000 if it had a SBC. But stock? I will give him 400,000 and not a pong more!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #20
Bill G

Then there's that old kid's riddle....

Which weighs more, a ton of steel or a ton of feathers?
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote