Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-25-2015, 03:35 PM   #1
mrraford

Default Ford Part Interchange

Ok, I have to ask. How successful can you be trying to interchange modern versions of Ford parts for similarly named A parts?
I noticed when I was searching ebay for an A bearing race (A-4222) that much more recently produced Form parts with the A-4222 component in the part number were readily available. For example, a race with the part number 8A-4222 that looks like the original was listed as well as many others with similar variations. These parts are offered at very moderate prices also.
Is the A-4222 part of the Ford legacy and only denotes that it is a differential bearing cup or will such parts actually interchange with the original? I'm tempted to buy one of these very low priced items just to see if it would fit.
Any experience with this idea here? Am I barking up the wrong tree?
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:47 PM   #2
Kurt in NJ

Default Re: Ford Part Interchange

The "4222" number for bearing race diff, what's before and after says what car and version
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:48 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

There is a list that has the modern replacement number for A parts. If I remember they cross over to NAPA part numbers.

You would need to cross the A part to napa and the new ford number to Napa and see if they are the same part.

Sounds like a good project it you know the suspected new ford numbers.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Ford numbers have a root number, a prefix, and often a suffix.
4222 means differental bearing cup, and every differential bearing cup on every Ford that has one made since 1928 would have that part of the number. Presumably a 2015 Ford pickup has 4222's, but since they are not the same they have different prefix.
The A-prefix means that it is a Model A part...in most Ford usage, a part carries the prefix indicating model of first use and keeps it as long as the part is used...but A-4222 falls into the rare case of a number that changed without change to the part.
All Model A parts that were used in production for 1932 Fords (this does not apply to A parts no longer put on new vehicles) were switched to a B prefix, and this applies here. After 1932, the very same A-4222 became B-4222, and remained so in production use for years. All A parts NOT used on post 1932 cars retained the A. Thus, a part you can use could turn up labeled either A or B-4222.
Any 4222 with a different prefix (8A, 68, 18, etc.) is still a bearing cup, but a different size not usable on an A.
Every year new prefixes came out, indicating year and model of first use, applied to all parts new that year and used for that part for all later years that kept the same part...
Suffixes indicate different versions of a part, like color variations, oversizes, updated versions with same application.
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
mrraford

Good information. Interesting Ford history. Thanks all.
mrraford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 11:27 AM   #6
FL&WVMIKE

There are many parts that came out with the "A", that were used up through 1948 and a few, beyond.
MIKE (mikeburch)
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #7
bobusnick104

I pulled this list from The Barn a while ago.NAPA model A parts.pdf

Hope the attachment is there.