Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-12-2021, 11:27 PM   #21
Don T

Default Re: Oil Filter-ology

Just to be clear 51 Merc-CT; the 2 CDN 8BA's (51 M3 and 50 Meteor) do not have any restriction of any type (except the diameter of the tubing) from the block to the interior of the filter housing. They have one drain hole in the return pipe located in about the same place as shown in your picture. The diameter of the hole I am not sure of but a piece of stove-pipe wire is a snug fit. It seems the engineers that designed these old trucks had a different thinking process depending on which side of the 49th parallel they were on?
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #22
rotorwrench

They did a lot of things differently up north in Canada. A person would have to check the system starting at the block ports to see if there is a 1/16" restrictor orifice in the line somewhere. Ford of Canada made several different oil filtration and oil cooler systems over the years for trucks and military vehicles like the Universal Carrier. They modified the oil distribution manifold on the back of the block in several ways for the different systems they produced. Nothing surprises me when referring to products manufactured by Ford of Canada. The flow to the filter has to be reduced to maintain oil pressure in the engine. The restrictor orifice is the easiest way to control that.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 02:35 PM   #23
Ckrivin

My oil filter canister inlet hole is missing a restrictor. Any suggestions on how to make one/ where to buy one??
THX!
Old 12-31-2021, 02:56 PM   #24
19Fordy

Ckrivin: Read the thread below , especially the posting by JSeery. Also read all the links in the posts. There are two styles of resterictor fittings. One for Ford and one for Merc. The Weatherhead fitting is easier to find.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195393
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 03:20 PM   #25
marko39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrivin View Post
My oil filter canister inlet hole is missing a restrictor. Any suggestions on how to make one/ where to buy one??
THX!
Solder a regular fitting closed and drill it out to .060 and you will be good to go.
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:19 PM   #26
aussie merc

me again my only concern is oil flow in the flathead was never designed to accommodate a full flow filter ive seen some mods done but still wonder if they actually flow suffient oil and in fact causing a problem in the long run due to reduced oil flow inside the engine
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #27
Gene1949

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Better we should concentrate on fulfilling the 1000 mile interval suggested for chassis lubrication. A lot of people miss it.
Aww Jeez. Thankx for reminding me. Time for the "annual" (oil change and chassis lube).
Gives me an excuse to roll around on a cold shop floor this time of year. Might as well do the Camaro, it's due also. Spring is right around the corner here in the desert.
Gene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:41 PM   #28
aussie merc

yeh got to luv it 38c shorts singlet sweaty as and covered in grease oil and dirt [you cant grow roses without manure]
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 10:06 PM   #29
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie merc View Post
me again my only concern is oil flow in the flathead was never designed to accommodate a full flow filter ive seen some mods done but still wonder if they actually flow suffient oil and in fact causing a problem in the long run due to reduced oil flow inside the engine

You can put your concerns to rest. The oil conversion where the oil is pumped to a remote filter and then returned to the engine directly into the original internal passage will NOT cause any short or long term problems. I know from personal experience having converted many engine's for others as well as my high mileage daily driver. To date two round trip cross country journeys with absolutely no issues and that includes feeding the oil to a set of original ARDUN heads.

The Ford flathead internal oil cross passage measures .421 in diameter that's the largest internal passage. When I do the conversion I make sure all of the fittings I use match's the .421 internal dimension. The oil lines used are 1/2 internal diameter. The correct oil filter to use is the Ford Motorcraft FL-1A this filter will not restrict the flow its a perfect filter for this type of conversion.
Point is when you do the conversion simple back yard hot rod ingenuity is all it takes to get it right so the engine will survive.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 01:08 PM   #30
Bored&Stroked

I run a true 100% full-flow system on my 32 Cabriolet (284 cubic inch stroker engine). I have a modified oil pump -> The bottom plate of the pump has been modified to take the entire oil volume out of the pump, through a hard-line and bulkhead fitting in the side of the oil pan, through a full-flow filter and back to an enlarged oil galley on the side of the block. The oil-pump casting has been plugged where the oil normally exits the pump gear area and goes through the long-slot to the pressure galley (it was blocked off). Though this setup is a bit more complex that the '95%' setup that many use - it delivers 100% filtered oil to the engine.

I've always snickered at the claim of '95%' filtration for the guys that make mods to pull the oil from the original oil-galleys, then through a filter - the number seems a bit optimistic to me in that these systems pump unfiltered oil to the rear main bearing - so I consider these 95% systems to be about '66%' . . . but hey, we can calculate it a lot of ways. LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 03:05 PM   #31
Ronnieroadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I run a true 100% full-flow system on my 32 Cabriolet (284 cubic inch stroker engine). I have a modified oil pump -> The bottom plate of the pump has been modified to take the entire oil volume out of the pump, through a hard-line and bulkhead fitting in the side of the oil pan, through a full-flow filter and back to an enlarged oil galley on the side of the block. The oil-pump casting has been plugged where the oil normally exits the pump gear area and goes through the long-slot to the pressure galley (it was blocked off). Though this setup is a bit more complex that the '95%' setup that many use - it delivers 100% filtered oil to the engine.

I've always snickered at the claim of '95%' filtration for the guys that make mods to pull the oil from the original oil-galleys, then through a filter - the number seems a bit optimistic to me in that these systems pump unfiltered oil to the rear main bearing - so I consider these 95% systems to be about '66%' . . . but hey, we can calculate it a lot of ways. LOL

Dale I have seen a serious problem develop with the oil pump conversion your running. That pertains to the oil line in the pan when it comes off or begins leaking. Complete disaster happens. Had a few fellows using the conversion sold by an un named source who experienced this type of failure.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2022, 04:52 PM   #32
flatjack9

I've had the system you are probably referring to on my engine for 25 years with no problems. I would suspect improper installation caused the problems you are referring to.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 09:23 PM   #33
Nailhead Jeff

Has anyone else had issues with full-flow filter systems trapping air? I've had two engine failures with what is usually called the 95% filter modification. Both lost #8 rod bearing in a few 1000 miles.
Nailhead Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote