Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2018, 09:42 PM   #1
Steves46

Default Radiator Overflow Tube Leak

Being new to the Model A, I am leraning something new everyday and today is no exception. When I was checking my water level, I noticed a rusty spec resting on the baffle however in order to remove it, I slightly moved the overflow tube and when I did, suddenly a steady stream of water starting flowing out of the bottom of the the overflow tube. Being that the water level was beneath the top of the tube, could I have agravated a crack in the tube? Do these tubes need to be in a specific position? Here's a photo of mine. The water is no longer coming out but the level has dropped a bit. I have a feeling I am about to read-up on radiator removal procedures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Radiator.jpg (44.7 KB, 103 views)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:43 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Radiator Overflow Tube Leak

You may have just unplugged the o/flow tube.......
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
MrBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves46 View Post
Being new to the Model A, I am leraning something new everyday and today is no exception. When I was checking my water level, I noticed a rusty spec resting on the baffle however in order to remove it, I slightly moved the overflow tube and when I did, suddenly a steady stream of water starting flowing out of the bottom of the the overflow tube. Being that the water level was beneath the top of the tube, could I have agravated a crack in the tube? Do these tubes need to be in a specific position? Here's a photo of mine. The water is no longer coming out but the level has dropped a bit. I have a feeling I am about to read-up on radiator removal procedures.

I was getting ready to put another radiator in the car and when I filled it up and plugged the bottom and top inlet/outlet water was coming out of the overflow and had to replace the overflow tube which had a crack in the tank area. Wasn't a problem for the radiator shop to replace the tube. It also ran over on the right side which wasn't correct, so corrected that also.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Steves46

Thanks for the replies. It is no longer dripping from the overflow but the water just barely covers the core. When I started adding some water it started coming out of the bottom tube again. I am pretty much convinced there must be a crack somewhere in the overflow tube between the top and bottom of the tank. Looks like I will be removing the radiator and taking it to a shop.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #5
jm29henry

Try letting it find it’s own level,as long as you can see the fluid I think you will be fine!, remember these are not a pressurized system best of luck
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #6
jw hash

we were on a 3800 mile trip and one of our members had his radiator record before we left , and it would loose water down it own level which was too low. and at times it was a good thing we all had extra water with us. the over tube was cracked. he found this out after he got home. plug one end of the lube and hook an air hose to the other end. check for bubbles.
jw hash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #7
30 Closed Cab PU

Looking at the bottom of the overflow of the tube there seems to be a silver/shiny crack/break. Could be a crack, but then again could be water/damp, optics of the picture. With the motor not running you should be able to fill to the top of the overflow, but it starts draining when you get to the top of the core.

While at the radiator shop have them back flush it and check condition. When putting it back on, if you do not have one, add an upper hose coolant filter to keep the rust from the block getting into the radiator.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #8
midgetracer

It is common for that tube to rust through. Most originals had steel overflow tubes and in their past life, many were run without the rust prevention of antifreeze or other rust preventers. The cleaning process often removes the rust fron the steel and a leak suddenly appears.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:42 PM   #9
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetracer View Post
It is common for that tube to rust through. Most originals had steel overflow tubes and in their past life, many were run without the rust prevention of antifreeze or other rust preventers. The cleaning process often removes the rust fron the steel and a leak suddenly appears.
Yes sir-that is my situation. I have been studying my Les Andrews Mechanics Book and will begin the steps necessary to remove the radiator in hopefully the next few days.
Old 01-02-2019, 02:30 PM   #10
Farrell In Vancouver

Here's a quick fix, pick up a length of shrink tube that will just slide over the over-flow tube. Warm it up with a BBQ lighter and seal that crack.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #11
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farrell In Vancouver View Post
Here's a quick fix, pick up a length of shrink tube that will just slide over the over-flow tube. Warm it up with a BBQ lighter and seal that crack.
I did the same until I could get time to repair it. I used 'marine' shrink tubing, the kind that has glue inside to help seal the leak. The only problem is that it worked so good I have no incentive to fix it properly.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #12
Steves46

Thanks guys. I may give that a try. Besides the cracked tube problem, I am still getting some seepage when the engine is warmed-up on the inside bottom seam of the tank where it meets the core so I may go ahead and remove/repair. Best, Steve.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #13
whirnot

Yep, I would certainly take it off and have a shop leak test and repair. Not that big a deal to take it out, and a process you will repeat in the future. A tip I learned here: take the front bumper off before you start. It is only two bolts and makes the process much easier. I remove the headlights bar as well.

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:36 PM   #14
Steves46

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Yep, I would certainly take it off and have a shop leak test and repair. Not that big a deal to take it out, and a process you will repeat in the future. A tip I learned here: take the front bumper off before you start. It is only two bolts and makes the process much easier. I remove the headlights bar as well.
Thanks. Yes, it looks a pretty straight forward procedure. Since I don't have a front bumper, it makes it that much easier. I will think about removing the light bar.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #15
Farrell In Vancouver

If you do the repair you can cheat a bit using the same size in copper tubing. it bends easily and will tin very quickly so soldering it in is easy. Once tested you can paint it with BBQ Flat Black and no one will be the wiser.
Farrell In Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote